cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

manderson010
Journeyman III

Checkerboard square artifacts and crash

My computer crashes often when I try to run any video games. The image attached shows the artifacts that show up when the computer crashes. I'm assuming this is a problem with my graphics card, but it causes my system to completely stop. So, I don't ever see any error messages before I attempt a hard reboot. How do I troubleshoot this problem?

See attached photo. Checkerboard squares of noise.

The only obvious thing left that I can see is the HDMI port. On my desktop case, the HDMI connector won't go all the way in to the port on my graphics card. The port doesn't quite line up with the opening in the case. The HDMI cord seems to make a good connection, though it doesn't go in all the way (about a millimeter short). Could this connection cause my problem?

After a little while running a game, I see square artifacts on my screen and my system crashes. With higher settings on the in-game graphics, this problem happens sooner. I can most reliably reproduce the problem in Kerbal Space Program during the pause menu. Occasionally, it will happen during the loading page of KSP or while I'm browsing YouTube videos, but in these cases, the screen just goes blank.

After one crash, I got a BSoD error. But, this was early on in troubleshooting this problem, and I didn't bother to write down what the error was. After a two of the crashes, I got a Windows notification "Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware." (with reference to KSP_x64.exe)

At first, I assumed that I was pushing my card too hard playing my games on a 4k TV at default-to-high graphics settings. I tried (1) lowering settings in-game, (2) lowering resolution and/or refresh rate in Windows display settings. This only delayed the crash.

I thought the card may be overheating, so I downloaded AMD Link to my phone to watch the performance of my card.

• GPU utilization, GPU clock and GPU memory clock all would max out before the crash
  • GPU VRAM utilization would be around 10-11% for KSP on the 4K television
  • FPS would be steady at 30 or 60--whatever I had it set to in Windows display settings
  • GPU TEMP would be about 35C. Not much warmer than it was at startup.

The RX 580 isn't exactly designed for 4k, so I bought an appropriate-sized 1920x1080 monitor. Still experience crashes.

The system:

• AMD Graphics Card
    • Radeon RX 580 4GB
  • Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop from CyberPowerPC
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.2.1
  • Display Devices (attempted one at a time)
    • Vizio M55-D0 4k TV, connection: HDMI
      • Resolutions attempted from the Windows display settings
        • 3840x2160 (native)
        • 2560x1440
        • 1920x1080
      • Refresh rates attempted from the Windows display settings
        • 60Hz (native)
        • 30Hz (native)
    • HP 25es 1920x1080 @60Hz HDMI
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming AM4, American Megatrends Inc. F10
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, 3.4 GHz
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
    • High Power HPL-800BR-F14S, 800W
  • RAM
    • 8GB
  • Games/applications (all my games currently installed)
    • Kerbal Space Program 64-bit
    • Trine
    • Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Steam Edition

Message was edited by: Mike Anderson
Added attached photos.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

You can probably bend that case part out of the way. I had the same issue.

Unless your home is freezing then the card should warm up to around 50-60c during intense gaming.

There's something wrong there and I'm leaning toward a bad vidcard as it does sound like (where's the  pic) overheating artifacts.

What is the make/model of your RX580?

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

Bro i too have 5600g i also get wired artifacts... When i start to stress my gpu my pc crash with artifacts... Help me

0 Likes
manderson010
Journeyman III

Hardwood,

The low temp is due to me checking it very soon after startup. After it runs awhile longer, the card warms up to normal temp.

Pic of artifacts is now attached to the original post.

Make/model: MSI Radeon RX 580 Armor 4G OC

0 Likes

Ya, I'm sticking with a  bad vidcard. The only way to be 100% sure is try it in another computer. Might be a pain but that's better than looking foolish when an RMA comes back as nothing wrong.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes
clevertitan
Journeyman III

I have this exact issue. Have you figured out a fix for it?! I can run any benchmark out there flawlessly but as soon as I launch ANY game I get this issue! If it were a bad gpu it would crap out doing the benchmarks as well I believe, which leads me to believe it has to be something else. Please help!!

0 Likes