cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Nater
Adept I

Cannot get Dolby Atmos working with my RX 570

I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro, no problems or issues with my system except that I can't get Dolby Atmos to work over HDMI from my Radeon RX 570. It is hooked up via HDMI direct to my Denon AVR-X3700H receiver. For the Radeon software I am running Adrenalin 21.10.2 Recommended (WHQL). I have the Sound control panel set up for Dolby Atmos and I have the Dolby Access app installed and set up for Home Theater, but Dolby Access tells me that I still needed to enable Atmos, which makes no sense, since there is nothing else I can do to enable Atmos in Windows. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Dolby Access, no change. I checked Cyberlink PowerDVD, and while I can bitstream Dolby TrueHD, Atmos is not reaching my receiver (and this is for movies with Atmos audio tracks selected). Same thing for VLC with Atmos demo trailers, I can get Dolby TrueHD, but not Atmos, so it's a system-wide issue. A couple of years ago I was using an NVIDIA GPU and I was able to bitstream Atmos no problem then. I used Display Driver Uninstaller to completely uninstall the AMD driver and then installed the latest WHQL driver, but no improvement. I even went into the BIOS and disabled onboard audio, but no change. Has anyone seen this before? Is this a known issue with AMD Radeon graphics cards? Is there a workaround?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Nater
Adept I

This problem really wasn't making sense, and after initially focusing on the source (PC) side of things and eliminating all possibilities, I shifted my focus to the Denon AVR-X3700H. Long story short - the receiver got into a buggy state after I changed the amp/speaker layout when trying out physical height speakers after previously using virtual height speakers (which the AVR-X3700H supports for both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X when using a 5.1 physical speaker layout). No amount of changing the configuration back to what it had been would restore Atmos bitstream detection/processing, and since I couldn't find any issues with my PC or AMD Radeon graphics card, I did a factory reset of the Denon receiver, wiping out all settings and configuration, and then Atmos worked fine, no problems. So the Denon receiver (which is running the most current firmware as of this date) has a bug in it that can cause Atmos processing to stop working if you change the amp/speaker layout until you reset the whole thing.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies
Nater
Adept I

This problem really wasn't making sense, and after initially focusing on the source (PC) side of things and eliminating all possibilities, I shifted my focus to the Denon AVR-X3700H. Long story short - the receiver got into a buggy state after I changed the amp/speaker layout when trying out physical height speakers after previously using virtual height speakers (which the AVR-X3700H supports for both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X when using a 5.1 physical speaker layout). No amount of changing the configuration back to what it had been would restore Atmos bitstream detection/processing, and since I couldn't find any issues with my PC or AMD Radeon graphics card, I did a factory reset of the Denon receiver, wiping out all settings and configuration, and then Atmos worked fine, no problems. So the Denon receiver (which is running the most current firmware as of this date) has a bug in it that can cause Atmos processing to stop working if you change the amp/speaker layout until you reset the whole thing.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Theres an app free from the microsoft app store called dolby access, and one called DTS sound unbound.

You install those. Then go to say netflix which has dolby digital plus 7.1 if you install windows 10 appstores netflix app on certain titles. And you configure your "sound" settings for dolby atmos for home theater. If you use headphones (like hifiman RE600S in ears or hifiman sundara over ears with one of the most powerful headphone amps on market like 10W or more or basically a cheap tiny desktop speaker amp with high slew rate and high swing voltage and balanced) Then umm you may want to purchase DTSX headphones for about $20AUD was it? or consider the dolby option too. One maybe sounds more bassier and boomier for games the other more clear and sort of life like.

Anyway you must have in your advanced audio properites "enabled exclusive mode application access" enabled checked for both of them. WASAPI passthrough and ASIO low latency wont work without it. Also all dolby audio such as digital plus for web content is low bit rate web streaming compressed lossy AC3 file format, old dolby digital AC3 5.1 over optical cable which usually only handles stereo lossy is same AC3 format from the 80s (first dolby 5.1 movie in cinemas was apocalypse now 1979 which had its own dolby optical matrix system like a year after but Sony Phillips toslink became the standard) modern 9-13 channel lossless Dolby master audio tracks on bluray disc and 19-21 channel dolby atmos played back from the same 9-13channel discs lossless is the same AC3 file format and standards as the 80's and its just a higher bit rate!

so you will want your movie to be with ac3 file or an AC3 audio.. you then get a free player like daum potplayer and enable AC3 passthrough and consider setting both the audio renderer and output to WASAPI mode. also consider trying exclusive mode out. For decoding 10bit HEVC you may need to set daum to d3d11 renderer and tell it to use hardware acceleration toggle it on off a few times till it works in filters > video codecs properties tab down the bottom. and right click select video > renderer or audio > renderer while playing back. Video >  pixel shaders often has color correction for ICC or that 2048 stuff to toggle on to get some HDR 10bit HEVC files to look the right colour or less washed out or dull. I often like to output resampled to 96khz in daum pot player surround sound or play back with the kodi app free from windows 10 app store. daum potplayer may need download from external website and some AV software may find a virus in there? not always tho.. its strange but as its open source app player like KM player and others being best parts chosen and rewritten some people maybe sneak them into  several open source projects its almost entirely derived from with additional filters/settings.

I like to sometimes set my PC to output via DTSX and use my receiver to play it back in surround it often sounds better. 7.1 dts X try to dolby home theather + DTS X for headphones.

Manually configure your receivers Tone setting to + bass and treble near max or max what sounds good. disable all EQ and EQ shaping like umm MCCAC (mic auto calibration) and disable theater filter and disable phase matching bass unless your speakers are tiny. If you got big speakers like size of a head floor standing ones and bookshelf ones i tend to just set cross over to the lowest or widest possible range of sound output! i rarely listen loud enough that i'd be worried they'd break from trying to output in ranges they cant and i pretty sure they got built in cross over stuffs anyway or something? then set all levels to max and speaker distance to about 1.11 for each channel

then dolby ceiling speaker height set it to for me about 1.53m sounds pretty good on my pioneer and onkyo tho they owned by same company. Maybe consider enabling sound retreiver?

0 Likes