cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

morgana47
Adept I

Can the R5 Video card run audio via DVI-D to HDMI?

Can the R5 video card carry sound/ audio from a dvi to an HDMI port?  The DVI will be on the computer which will be connected via HDMI to a TV.  I get great picture but no sound.  If this can be done, please list the "complete" steps to take on a windows 10 HP computer.

1 Solution

Okay not giving up on you. Found this old FAQ page on the AMD site: https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1328 

If this is a catalyst driver install, if memory serves me, you may have had to use the custom install and choose for the audio driver to be installed. Look into that and make sure. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies

What make and model GPU do you have. The best people to ask is the support department of the company that made your GPU. That being said it can be very dependent on the active adapter used that it support ATI/AMD audio pass thru. The support department of your GPU should be able to suggest one that works or even offer you one. Some card makers included them in the box, so check your box if you still have it. Others would provide one on request, that is what XFX did for me. There are no steps to take in software if you have the right adapter and your card supports it. 

0 Likes

Again ask your GPU maker, they may send you one. 

Also this wont make it work if our GPU doesn't support it to begin with, but I think more than likely it does. Ask your GPU maker. 

This listing here is the model I have that were made by ATI back in the day that I know would send the audio stream out to HDMI

ebay: DVI to HDMI Audio Video Adapter for GIGABYTE GPU | eBay 

0 Likes

Thanks for the picture, yes, I am already using the adapter that came with my computer, so I don't need to get another one, but its not bringing sound.   What I need to know is how to make the adapter work.   I'm assuming, there is a setting in Windows that I might be missing that will turn on the sound when I am using this regular DVI-D to HDMI adapter.  Right now I am only getting the picture end of it.

According to this article, my computer (which has a DVI-D Dual Link) should be bring sound,  but it isn't, so I just need to know how or if I need to configure my Windows settings somehow.

https://www.bluecinetech.co.uk/does-dvi-carry-sound/?unapproved=3408&moderation-hash=e538d0c0790dd80... 

0 Likes

Thanks for answering back.   I have the AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon 5 graphics.  My computer is the HP 500-437C.  It says its an integrated graphics card.  I was always under the assumption that DVI-D to HDMI never carried sound, but lately I've been finding people saying that there is a way for just the regular (non-driver needed) adapter to carry sound without using a separate sound adapter.  Right now I'm using a VGA to HDMI adapter with a built in USB cord to carry the sound, but the video quality is blurry compared to the DVI-D to HDMI adapter without sound.  Is there a setting that I'm missing on my computer to get the regular DVI-D to HDMI adapter to carry the sound along with the video?  You talked about the "audio pass thru" but how do I know this setting is turned on, if there is a setting?  I know there are adapter "boxes" out there that pull the sound from the DVI-D to somehow filter it thru the HDMI, but I already tried that with a usb3 to HDMI adapter that installed drivers onto the computer and it was a COMPLETE failure.  I just need to know if a regular DVI-D to HDMI adapter with carry sound on my video card, and if so, how do I make it work.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes

All I know is that I never had to change any settings. I wish I had an AMD card still plugged in with that setup to see if newer Windows 10 version somehow gimped that feature or if it is newer AMD drivers that are the issue. Or maybe for whatever reason your device does not support it. Your GPU makers should be able to answer the question. 

All I know is the last GPU I had that I know supported it was my r9 380x. On that card the ATI adapter that came with my HD 4870 worked with audio, but a Belkin adapter that said it worked with audio would not. Since then none of my cards have even had DVI ports. 

0 Likes

Okay not giving up on you. Found this old FAQ page on the AMD site: https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1328 

If this is a catalyst driver install, if memory serves me, you may have had to use the custom install and choose for the audio driver to be installed. Look into that and make sure. 

Oh Pokester you are the best!!!  Yes that FAQ had all the questions I  was asking.  I haven't tried them yet, but I figure if they don't work with all the info given, its just not meant to be LOL ,  Thank you again for finding that!!

You are very welcome. Truly hope it helped. Nice appreciative people like you, make helping others worthwhile.