cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

therollexpl
Newcomer

Can't update my amd driver

Hello everyone. I have a big problem because from a long time I am unable to update my drivers to the latest one but I didn't care too much because it wasn't something that important but since Call of Duty MW came out it asks for the newest GPU driver therefore I have tried everything to make that work but every time when I am about to update it to the newest driver my screen goes black and get stuck in boot loop, after that I have to go to safe mode and uninstall that driver and the latest driver that works is 18.2.1. I have tried clean install and installing it manually via device manager, I will attach my whole PC below I know it is pre-built don't ask why but there it is: OMEN by HP Desktop PC - 870-003na Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support. Yes, I did update my chipset.

0 Likes
19 Replies

Are you using Windows 10 1903, and have you tried a clean driver install?

0 Likes

Yes I am and I did try clean install and also I did reinstall my windows even with external device with fresh Windows because on my SSD I had corrupted files that didn't let me reinstall Windows therefore I did that but still the same issue

0 Likes

Hi, I am running into the exact same issue - did you manage to fix it and if so, how?

0 Likes
duijckaerts
Adept I

If your GPU is from sub vendor HP, then we might have had the same issue. I came to the conclusion that there is an issue with the stock BIOS for HP's AMD R9 390X causing the driver install to fail and the system to hang.

I have created a custom BIOS for the AMD R9 390X HP OEM. I used an XFX BIOS (XFX.R9390X.8192.150612.rom) and updated fan and other settings to be equal to the original HP one.

I have flashed it and the GPU is working fine now. AMD drivers were updated to the latest version "Win10-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-2020-Edition-20.5.1-June10", 27.20.1017.1011.

A link to the modified ROM below. Use at own risk.
HP AMD Radeon R9 390X 113-C67132-104 - fixed

Output from GPU-Z:

GPU-Z.png

0 Likes

Is there any chance of you making or finding how can I update my BIOS using

rom file on hp PC because I was trying to find a way but all the time I am

coming across something new that isn't the same on my PC like diagnostic

menu on my computer when I press F2 is different and doesnt have any

options to update driver

wt., 7 lip 2020 o 20:08 duijckaerts <amd-external@jiveon.com> napisał(a):

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Can't update my amd driver in Graphics

0 Likes

never mind I found it I thought it was something else for a second I am all

good now I will check if everything works and if I cant update my GPU and I

will update you

sob., 11 lip 2020 o 15:38 TheROLLEXpl iZi Team <rollexxd99@gmail.com>

napisał(a):

Is there any chance of you making or finding how can I update my BIOS

using rom file on hp PC because I was trying to find a way but all the time

I am coming across something new that isn't the same on my PC like

diagnostic menu on my computer when I press F2 is different and doesnt have

any options to update driver

wt., 7 lip 2020 o 20:08 duijckaerts <amd-external@jiveon.com> napisał(a):

>> Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

>> Re: Can't update my amd driver in Graphics

>>

0 Likes

You should be able to use the flashing tool on TechPowerUp to flash the ROM that I have created:

ATI ATIFlash / AMD VBFlash (2.93) Download | TechPowerUp 

As mentioned in my initial reply, with the custom BIOS I have created, I have made sure all GPU details match, vendor wise and such, so it should recognize as a higher version of the HP stock one. This will allow the Windows interface of the tool to be used, without forcing a flash using command line.

After GPU BIOS has been updated the drivers from AMD should update without the endless reboot loop kicking in.

Let me know if this has worked for you.

0 Likes

Ye I have tried it yesterday but I got the message that I need to run it as

administrator and it was showing up even when I did run it as admin do tou

know any fix? I tried to run all of the apps even the nvidia one just to

check if that works even in safe mode the message shows up. I have no idea

on how to run that program.

0 Likes

Could be a permission issue for where you have stored the executables you are trying to start.

1. You want to extract the downloaded "atiflash_293.zip" first to e.g. C:\atiflash_293;
  2. Then you right-click "amdvbflashWin.exe" and choose "Run as Administrator". The program should open and show current BIOS info under "Current VBIOS";
  3. Backup your current BIOS first by choosing "Save" first and save it to e.g. C:\atiflash_293;
  4. Now choose "Load Image" and open the BIOS you want to flash. Easiest you have it in the same folder. Once loaded, info for that BIOS will be shown under "New VBIOS";
  5. Finally choose "Program". This will flash the new BIOS and you should be all set.

Below screenshot shows my situation, as if I would be reverting back to the old original BIOS.

Your current and new VBIOS would show exactly the opposite after step 4.

amdvbflashWin.png

0 Likes

Yes and i do steps 1 and 2 but the program is not opening it still gives me

that prompt telling me to run it as administrator even tho there is only

one account on this PC and I am the admin still by pressing the Run as

administrator this shows up

When I press ok this shows up too

And I dont know what to do to run this app.

0 Likes

Even if there is only account, you explicitly need to run the program as administrator by choosing "Run as Administrator".

Otherwise it will just run as a local user.

Try the following:

1. Use the windows start button, then type cmd, right-click the command prompt app and select "Run as Administrator". This should show "Administrator" in the title of the command prompt window;
  2. Then go to the directory where the zip file has been extracted, e.g. cd C:\atiflash_293;
  3. Then type "amdvbflashWin.exe"

This should bring up the Windows application in administrator mode.

0 Likes

Ok I will try that when I get back home but highly doubt that it will work

but I will give it a try and let you know how it goes

0 Likes

See like I said still shows the same message and there is nothing I am doing wrong (yes I am confused too on how the heck this isn't working)

pastedImage_1.png

Is there any chance that maybe the motherboard or BIOS isn't supported and it will give that prompt apart from something else because the app is programmed like that or it doesn't matter?

I could also try clean install Windows again as I have done that not a long time ago but I would prefer to do that after there are non other choice.

0 Likes

Very weird. There is one more option and that is to use the command line utility "amdvbflash.exe" as administrator.

1. Use the windows start button, then type cmd, right-click the command prompt app and select "Run as Administrator". This should show "Administrator" in the title of the command prompt window;
  2. Then go to the directory where the zip file has been extracted, e.g. cd C:\atiflash_293;
  3. Check where your GPU card is. The adapter is 0 (zero) if you just have one card active, with asic Hawaii.

c:\atiflash_293>amdvbflash.exe -i 0

adapter bn dn fn dID       asic           flash      romsize test bios p/n
    ======= == == == ==== =============== ============== ======= ==== ==============
    0       01 00 00 67B0 Hawaii          M25P10/c       20000   pass 113-C67132-104

4. Backup your GPU BIOS:

c:\atiflash_293>amdvbflash.exe -s 0 bios_old.rom

0x20000 bytes saved, checksum = 0xB600
  5. Flash the new rom:

c:\atiflash_293>amdvbflash.exe -p 0 bios_new.rom
    Old SSID: 6566
    New SSID: 6566
    older ASIC, vbios is not signed.
    Old DeviceID: 67B0
    New DeviceID: 67B0
    Old Product Name: C67130 Grenada XT A0 GDDR5 8GB 128Mx32 300e/150m
    New Product Name: C67130 Grenada XT A0 GDDR5 8GB 128Mx32 300e/150m (HP)
    Old BIOS Version: 015.049.000.009.006285
    New BIOS Version: 015.049.000.010.006285
    Flash type: M25P10/c
    20000/20000h bytes programmed
    20000/20000h bytes verified

Restart System To Complete VBIOS Update.

6. At this point you could reflash and revert to your old BIOS, should you want that. A restart will finalize the process and make the new BIOS effective. 
0 Likes

Now whenever I try to run this command this alert is showing up 

pastedImage_1.png

Any fix for that?

0 Likes

Can you try unzipping the archive to C:\atiflash_293 and try from there?

If that does not work, I assume it is UAC settings or other security settings that are getting in the way.

You may want to check App & browser control in Windows Security.

Searching Google should also help you find the scenario that would apply to your situation in order to resolve.

Hope that helps.

0 Likes

I got enough of all of this errors and couldn’t be bothered to try and find

solution for them therefore I have done clean install of windows and I got

the program to work fine this time and did all the steps that you told me

to do, everything is working so far and I got the last driver installed,

thank you so much for helping me and spending time with this annoying

problem.

0 Likes

You're welcome. Happy to hear that it has worked.

I have the same problem and my boot is broken and amd driver will not update i have tried everything like usb bootable media drive but it wont let me delete my old windows files.  and amd drive will update until the last moments and my display will not work and i would have to restart which cause a blue screen of death.

0 Likes