Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

xrbbaker
Adept I

Can't get 2560 resolution from visiontek radeon 5450 2gb ddr3

Hello - I bought a new

ViewSonic VX3211-2K-MHD 32 Inch IPS WQHD 1440p Monitor which supports 2560 resolution. Bought a new VisionTek Radeon 5450 2GB DDR3 card because my pc had a wonky HDMI port so I just got a new video card. Specs indicate card should support 2560. Hook monitor to graphics card via HDMI cable provided w monitor.

Windows 10. 64 bit.
AMD Radeon HD 5450 driver is 15.301.1901.0
Driver date: 2/26/216

I can only get 1920 * 1200. Any suggestions on how I can get to 2560? I'm not a gamer.  Just want a big monitor w nice resolution.

Thank you

0 Likes
1 Solution

Well first the HD5xxx series GPU cards are not supported with AMD Driver updates anymore since it is considered to be legacy (Non-Supported). The last Updated drivers for that GPU card are from 2015 and 2016: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-5000-series/ati-radeon-hd-5450 . Maybe VisionTek has newer drivers for your GPU card.

That is why that GPU card was so cheap to purchase.

The RX4xx and RX5xx series and RX55xx GPU cards are still supported and are not that expensive in today's market - less then $200.00.

The RX55xx is very new GPU card. But before buying any AMD GPU card search this forum for the card you might want to upgrade to and see what type of issues Users are having in general. Also check Customer's reviews on Amazon and Newegg and Walmart etc.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

Finally found a Retailer that mentions the Maximum Resolutions for your VisionTek HD5450: https://www.gpuzoo.com/GPU-ATI/Radeon_HD_5450_GDDR3.html 

HDMI Maximum is 1920x1200:

Seems like DVI and DisplayPort (if it has one) will probably give you 2560x1600 Resolutions.

0 Likes
xrbbaker
Adept I

So my monitor has ports:
1) HDMI 1.4
2) DisplayPort
3) VGA

My 5450 card has:

1) Maximum DVI resolution: 2560 x 1600
2) Maximum HDMI resolution: 1920 x 1200
3) Maximum VGA resolution: 2048 x 1536

In other words I'm hosed because the card only puts out 1920 through the HDMI cable and the monitor doesn't have a DVI port and the card doesn't have a DisplayPort. What a freaking p.i.t.a. this is. Unbelievable.

Can you recommend a reasonably priced AMD video card that has a DVI port or HDMI port that also supports 2560 through said ports?

Thank you very much. This is incredibly frustrating but your help is very much appreciated.

0 Likes

Well first the HD5xxx series GPU cards are not supported with AMD Driver updates anymore since it is considered to be legacy (Non-Supported). The last Updated drivers for that GPU card are from 2015 and 2016: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/ati-radeon-hd-5000-series/ati-radeon-hd-5450 . Maybe VisionTek has newer drivers for your GPU card.

That is why that GPU card was so cheap to purchase.

The RX4xx and RX5xx series and RX55xx GPU cards are still supported and are not that expensive in today's market - less then $200.00.

The RX55xx is very new GPU card. But before buying any AMD GPU card search this forum for the card you might want to upgrade to and see what type of issues Users are having in general. Also check Customer's reviews on Amazon and Newegg and Walmart etc.

Awesome.  I will get there eventually.  Thank you so much.  I owe you a cold glass of chocolate milk!  -Cheers!

0 Likes

I did think of one more question... I'm going to look into the Rx55... cards.  Are there any other challenges I might expect?  I had started looking into 4k cards because I thought I'd get a 4k monitor - until I saw the prices on all that.  I also recall seeing people state that certain video cards would require replacing the power supply.  I don't want any more surprises.  Should these rx55... cards plug into my Dell Optiplex 390 without any other problems?

Thanks again!

0 Likes

One very important fact I failed to mention before purchasing a new GPU card.

Make sure your PSU is powerful enough to run it.

Go to this PSU Tech site and look at all the various GPUs and the Minimum PSU required to run it in your computer: PSU REQUIREMENTS - RealHardTechX 

If you have a 350 Watt PSU then choose a GPU that requires a PSU of at least 300 Watts as an example.

Otherwise it is best to upgrade your PSU to a least a 700 watt or higher Metal rated PSU to be able to run the majority of today's latest GPU cards both AMD and Nvidia.

The latest or newer PSU all have special PCIe Power cables to connect to your GPU card if it requires one.

0 Likes

Ah.  My unit is 240w.  I see one of the cards says requirement 130W but recommend 450w.  Can I get by with what I have?  What happens if the graphics card doesn't feel it has enough power?  Don't tell me it steps down the resolution...    Thank you

0 Likes

You need to upgrade the PSU. 240 Watt PSU is just to weak for just about all modern GPU cards. 

Plus it probably doesn't have a PCIe Power connection (GPU Power cable connector).

If you have a weak PSU that doesn't have enough power to run the GPU card it will either not work or it will crash under heavy loads or have all types of video or power issues.

Read this link from a gaming site concerning PSU and GPU/CPU: What you need to know about power supplies | PC Gamer 

0 Likes

elstaci -  Thanks again knowledge has been incredibly helpful!  Hopefully no more misteps!