cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

greenviper
Adept I

can i replace amd hd 8970m on msi gx680 laptop?

hi i have msi gx 680 laptop with (MS-16F21) motherboard

i want to know can i replace amd hd 8970m with my gt555m ddr5 ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

You need to open a MSI Support ticket then and ask them it that is compatible with your laptop and if you can upgrade the GPU  card in the laptop.

I was just going by the manual that doesn't mention the GPU Card as being upgraded.

NOTE: Also in the future you need to give the exact Make & Model of your laptop since there could be various configuration of hardware for the same type model. 

So if you don't want other Users giving you incorrect information I suggest in the future you give the exact Make & Model of your laptop and a more detailed explanation.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

According to your MSI Manual for your laptop, No you can't upgrade the Discrete GPU since it seems to be soldered to the Motherboard.

Here are all the parts that can be upgraded:

Screenshot 2021-02-26 095008.png

Most likely you probably will need to replace the Motherboard with the upgraded Discrete GPU chip installed.

no its not soldered to the Motherboard

this is my graphic cardthis is my graphic card

0 Likes

and this is amd hd8970m 10268634_1606908888_684.jpg

0 Likes

You need to open a MSI Support ticket then and ask them it that is compatible with your laptop and if you can upgrade the GPU  card in the laptop.

I was just going by the manual that doesn't mention the GPU Card as being upgraded.

NOTE: Also in the future you need to give the exact Make & Model of your laptop since there could be various configuration of hardware for the same type model. 

So if you don't want other Users giving you incorrect information I suggest in the future you give the exact Make & Model of your laptop and a more detailed explanation.

Thanks my friend

0 Likes