cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

os2wiz
Elite

Can an AMD Vega 56 and AMD Vega 64 card work together on an AMD X370 motherboard? Is a crossfire connector still necessary??

I now have a Vega 56 card flashed to vega 64 for better performance. But the FPS is not enough for 4k gaming. I just bought another Vega 56 that I plan to flash with Vega 64 bios. I hope I do NOT need a crossfire bridge in order for these cards to work together, as one was not provided with the motherboard. Also would like to know if I buy a Vega 64 can it work together with a Vega 56 card ?? If it can I will sell the second Vega 56 card. Iplan on running the two cards together in power saving mode with my 860 watt power supply.

0 Likes
9 Replies
plumboby
Miniboss

power savings mode will kill preformance drastically end up running into more issues than running on High preformance plan. Pay to run a crossfire bridge depends on the type of PSu you have tho from experience with running 10 with AMD cards running on a power saving mode from 10 will kill preformance drastically like a limp mode in Laptop mode. Lesson learn & a lesson I can teach is running decent cards like vegas run on High preformance power plan & tune you cards in with wattman to suit will help out more than limiting your mobo with full power you will run in to many more problems than i can write down.

0 Likes

Balanced mode runs close to the best I can achieve with all the so-called tricks of adjusting voltages. That is a fast trip to frustration with puny rewards. I will run them on balanced on balanced way than. Using full power, I have been there and done that. It is bullcrap  on Vega. Just burns a lot of watts from the wall with a tiny improvement. You did not bother to answer my question about running 2 Vegas on an X370 motherboard. I do not believe you need a ceasefire connector. But I am still unsure. Thanks a lot for zero help.

0 Likes

I believe the newer Motherboards/GPUs don't need a Crossfire Bridge anymore.

Ths from Wikipedia - AMD Crossfire :

Fourth generation (XDMA)[edit]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:AMD_DirectGMA.svg

XDMA might be similar the AMD DirectGMA (Direct Graphics Memory Access) to be found on AMD FirePro-branded product line.

The Radeon R9 290 and R9 290X graphics cards (based on Graphics Core Next 1.1 "Volcanic Islands") as well as GPUs using newer versions of GCN no longer have bridging ports. Instead, they use XDMA to open a direct channel of communication between the multiple GPUs in a system, operating over the same PCI Express bus which is used by AMD Radeon graphics cards

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Balanced mode doesn't make make diffrence power savings wise from High preformace if you want to wait for on the spot oomph balanced power saving can be frustrating. Coming from Someone who knows 10 prety well with AMD cards run High Preformance yes you use a few more watts but makes tuning in wattman alot easier & get a better tune. They way I look at it is I pay my power bill regularly o Well with the stop starting with Balanced mode from High Preformance if your fan settings on you mobo is set right for active when you need it & set your settings right it doesn't use any more power maybe an extra few watt nothing in it. I done some study on it its a load of crock got a couple IT mates & a m8 with a mining build testing the Blanced to High preformance settings to verify my findings, but so far from running on High Preformance on power settings you only use a few more watts. Makes a diffrence on the bigger cards running on high preformance plan trust me on that 1 only reason I am suggesting it. You will run into driver or mobo crashs down the line with 10 updates & new AMD driver releases scrambling everything. Its why I leave my power settings at High preformance & its on all my Stepsons builds as well I hardly notice the extra few watts on the power bill with them running 24/7, all above 500w PSU's.

The performance benefits from fine tuning are minimal like 5 percent.

Sent from Samsung tablet

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

more than 5% your wrong on that High preformance depends on the silicon lottery on the chip & any decent build should net way over 10%+ with ease. Even with silsicon lottery not being so good should net 10% increase. Running at high preformance mode makes a huge diffrence as the cards & mobo not parking the CPU holding back resources I run at high preformance so I got the CPU & GPU power on tap when I need it. With the way 10 runs BValanced mode is designed for Laptops more not for Desktop environments want the benefit of a decent card & build run High Preformance its worth it for a few extra watts> desktops especially with 10 like the extra power on tap its why I disable power savings makes a huge diffrence when on wifi cards to.Live in NZ on horrible old copper cables with crap modems provided by our internet providers the extra amount you can get from you build makes the diffrence with 4 Desktops running on High Preformance all running on Steam on online multiplayer games pings from servers average of 70-120ish. With download speeds of 1.3mb + with 4 connected still can ruip 70gig in 18hrs flat on unlimited uncapped internet, Preformance mode In windows cranked right up to High Preformance for all tasks is worth it outweighs the Balanced BS limp mode it throws your system into with 10. I been with 10 since day 1 & threw beta testing so know alot of tips & tricks for the best preformance to watt & bang for buck work arounds. I know 10 indside out with a lot of tricks & if you feel balanced moide works use it but for weird bugs & unexplained issues due to 10s behaviour on desktops I only run with High Preformance.

0 Likes
theacclaimed
Miniboss

Vega 56 and 64 can be used together in crossfire without any bridge. In fact there is no place to put the bridge. AMD graphics cards have not used Crossfire bridges since the R9 290x (2013). From my experience using a single RX Vega 64 with an 850w PSU, I would not recommend running two of them in crossfire with anything less than a 1000w PSU.

0 Likes

I have ordered a 1200 watt Corsair HX1200i platinum rated pus. It should arrive tomorrow. My 860 watt Season Plainum was inadequate.

Sent from Samsung tablet

0 Likes

Hi,

How did you get on with RX Vega 64 and 56 in Crossfire? Is it actually working o.k. because I have seen some people try and then give up and say it doesn't work at all, even with >=1200W PSU.

Thanks.

0 Likes