cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

newbie321
Adept I

Can AMD Radeon HD 8490 support 3 monitors?

I see AMD Radeon HD 8490 support 3 monitors has two physical outputs, DVI and DisplayPort.  

But the cnet says this card can support up to 4 monitors.  

How many monitors does this card really support?  

If it can support up to 4, what would be my setup if I have 3 monitors yet only two outputs on a card?

Thanks! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

You will need to use DisplayPort to connect 3 or 4 Monitors using a MST Hub or by Daisychaining the 3 or 4 Monitors via DP.

This is a MST Hub and how they look like: DisplayPort MST hub [finally explained!] (BEWARE of these MISTAKES before you buy) 

This Tech site gives good instructions on how to connect 4 monitors to a DP port: [DisplayPort Quick Guide] Daisy Chaining 2 to 4 Monitors (BEWARE of these MISTAKES before you buy) 

Also from Dell: How to Daisy Chain Multiple Monitors Using DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport (MST) | Dell US 

According to CNET Specs your GPU card support Multi-Stream Technology (MST). So your DP must be at least version 1.2. and from HP:

You can use AMD Eyefinity (Guide for Eyefinity: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-014 ) or Windows to setup your Multi-Monitors connection.

Your GPU card is considered to be legacy and not supported by AMD with anymore updated drivers. AMD only has drivers for Windows 8.0 and earlier: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-8000-series-oem/amd-radeon-hd-84... 

Dell has Windows 10 driver for your HD 8490 GPU card. Don't know if it will work on a Non-Dell computer or not: AMD Radeon Graphics Driver | Driver Details | Dell US 

You may need to go to the manufacturer of your GPU card or Computer to see if they have Windows 10 drivers that are newer than Windows 8.0 Drivers from 2014.

If you have never done this  before I suggest you find someone who has to show you how to properly connect the monitors together and what type of Monitors you will need.

It can get complicated if you are not sure of what you are doing.

Good luck. This is a far as I can help you with this.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You will need to use DisplayPort to connect 3 or 4 Monitors using a MST Hub or by Daisychaining the 3 or 4 Monitors via DP.

This is a MST Hub and how they look like: DisplayPort MST hub [finally explained!] (BEWARE of these MISTAKES before you buy) 

This Tech site gives good instructions on how to connect 4 monitors to a DP port: [DisplayPort Quick Guide] Daisy Chaining 2 to 4 Monitors (BEWARE of these MISTAKES before you buy) 

Also from Dell: How to Daisy Chain Multiple Monitors Using DisplayPort Multi-Stream Transport (MST) | Dell US 

According to CNET Specs your GPU card support Multi-Stream Technology (MST). So your DP must be at least version 1.2. and from HP:

You can use AMD Eyefinity (Guide for Eyefinity: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/dh-014 ) or Windows to setup your Multi-Monitors connection.

Your GPU card is considered to be legacy and not supported by AMD with anymore updated drivers. AMD only has drivers for Windows 8.0 and earlier: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-8000-series-oem/amd-radeon-hd-84... 

Dell has Windows 10 driver for your HD 8490 GPU card. Don't know if it will work on a Non-Dell computer or not: AMD Radeon Graphics Driver | Driver Details | Dell US 

You may need to go to the manufacturer of your GPU card or Computer to see if they have Windows 10 drivers that are newer than Windows 8.0 Drivers from 2014.

If you have never done this  before I suggest you find someone who has to show you how to properly connect the monitors together and what type of Monitors you will need.

It can get complicated if you are not sure of what you are doing.

Good luck. This is a far as I can help you with this.

Thank you very much for such an excellent and detailed answer!!  

One more question, elstaci‌, about daisy chaining

I have one DELL monitor that supports daisy chaining and another monitor that supports dvi only.  

Do ALL monitors need to be daisychain compatible or the last monitor can be anything as long as I use DP->DVI adapter on the last one...

In other words is the following possible:

[Graphics Card DP] ===>Dell DP in

Dell DP out ===> DP-to-DVI adapter ===> Last monitor with DVI only input

Thanks! 

0 Likes