Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

LeucK
Journeyman III

Buzzing GPU sound 5600XT

https://twitter.com/Leuc_/status/1355629162237714435?s=20
I have this strange electrical/buzzing noise coming from my GPU that I don’t believe to be coil whine. It started around the same time as I update the drivers (21.2.1). All hardware is fine as I’ve had it checked at a shop does anyone have any idea thanks.

0 Likes
5 Replies
mackbolan777
Forerunner

It's coil whine. But driver updates don't cause it. Listen carefully to see if it's GPU or PSU, both can make that noise. You can also use DDU: Display Driver Uninstaller Download version 18.0.3.6 (guru3d.com)

and roll back to 20.8.3 or 20.9.2 driver version to see if it helps, some say it does, I know that those drivers are more stable for that card.

AMD Radeon™ RX 5600 XT Previous Drivers | AMD scroll down to the desired driver and download it. Install after you run DDU in safe mode.

If it still buzzes, unless it's super load and annoying most manufacturers won't RMA the card for that and you may wind up getting one back with even worse coil whine. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Thanks for the reply I had no luck with rolling back the drivers unfortunately, the noise is still there. As I said I don’t believe it’s coil whine because no coil whine I’ve heard sounds like that it sounds electrical. 
The noise tends to go away without drivers installed or just being in the bios.

0 Likes

Coil whine isn't a "whine", it is actually a buzzing sound in 90% of cases. We in the repair field call it "whine". 20+ years with my own business building PC's. Mostly AMD, but I've heard coil whine from GPU's, PSU's, A/V receiver's, sometimes it's a high pitch, like in a receiver, mostly it's an annoying buzzing sound. I don't know if I mentioned before, but I just got an RX 6800 from using an RX 5600 XT and that buzzed exactly as you say. Now no noise.

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
thechili
Journeyman III

I had similar issues under certain gpu loads, not constantly, but now after a new psu the problem is gone. So I'd suggest starting troubleshooting from the psu and work from there

What is the pci card that's so close to graphics card.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes