cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

ChannelEMex_YT
Journeyman III

Buzzing after electric shock in a metal piece of my CPU Cooler

So a couple days ago my CPU cooler was hanging because i hadn't attached the bottom metal piece, well i decided to do that when the PC was on, Stupid i know but now the damage is done.

Soooo now audio is making a buzzing sound when under load, the metal piece made both components SPARK and it rebooted, i thought nothing of it but then bam audio is buzzing.

Is this covered by any type of warranty? is it fixable in any other way? i feel like i've done a terrible mistake on a gpu i got in november last year (8 months ago :(...  ).

Any answer is appreciated and i feel so bad because i know it's my fault and i might have to replace it all by myself, i got it for my birthday.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Uprising
Adept I

Best thing to do is RMA the card and don’t say anything about what you did but say it just started to happen when gaming. Always best to act dumb as long as there’s no physical damage to the card they won’t know. I once fried a phenom x6 1090t said it happened when gaming and got a 1100t instead.

0 Likes

I wish I had a answer but I don't. I do have empathy. Twice before have I made similar mistakes...with identical consequences. May the force be with you...

0 Likes

All Warranties are voided if due to "Customer Error".

I would turn power off and remove the CPU Cooler and CPU and visually check the CPU Socket and it surroundings for any burnt or shorts on the motherboard.

Buzzing Audio noise might indicate a damaged ground or short where it sparked on the motherboard. Check to see if any metallic thin traces are opened or burnt on the motherboard near the CPU socket.