cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

halfofakebab
Adept II

Re: Brightness flickering when freesync is ON in multiple games (worse since last driver update)

Yes, I have high expectations from a £220 graphics card in combination with a £210 monitor, which have a feature that is so broken it's bringing users to completely disable it, despite it being a big advertising point for these monitors, despite it being an issue for years now, and despite it being solely the fault of AMD - the company behind everything involved in the feature.

quardah
Adept III

Re: Brightness flickering when freesync is ON in multiple games (worse since last driver update)

Very well said.

0 Kudos
77rafal
Adept I

For me freesync is working fine. MSI RX 480 + AOC Monitor .

20 cze 2018 19:00 "quardah" <amd-external@jiveon.com> napisał(a):

Community <https://community.amd.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Brightness flickering when freesync is ON in multiple games (worse

since last driver update) in Graphics

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

From what I have seen with Freesync the Vega's issues seems to be different than the issues with the GCN cards. On the GCN cards the freesync is working on the RX series but only with the lower range like 45-75, the higher range like 100-144 still is problematic. So it is working depending on the configuration. Not sure why it can't be fixed with the remainder. I also wonder if it isn't a monitor issue in a lot of cases too. The spec is much looser and AMD doesn't inspect the monitors like NVidia does with GSync. These however are also why it is much cheaper. Alway make sure if a drive is available for your monitor or if new firmware is available to do that, as often thats how they fix the issues on the monitor side. Not blaming all this on the monitors either. I get that AMD has big issues with the driver. Also their different technologies don't always play nice together. If you use FRTC it messes up the Freesync.

So on my RX 580 with a Freesync range of 44-76, it works great for my and has for about 6 versions of the driver now.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

I should also add that I use chill and set in just inside that range to 45 and 75. I think this helps a lot.

0 Kudos
drr0ck
Adept II

My card is a GCN card - A Fury X.  Monitor tops out at 75, and I get the flicker.  Have since owning the monitor on all driver versions since.  I do believe it is something to do with LFC implementation as that is where the brightness change occurs in my case.

0 Kudos
pokester
MVP

I get it. I don't know where the difference is. My RX 580 runs better than it ever has, by my R9 380x wont run at all it locks and the screen goes green with the latest driver, in fact the last 3 drivers and randomly with the one before that. 14.3.4 is the last one that work somewhat with the R9 card. They are all GCN card but obviously there is more difference in them then what we know. Again is it in the chip, the memory, a pcb issue straying from reference card, is it power, is it the bios, etc. I don't know. I know on top of all this the last 3 Windows major updates screwed up adaptive sync tech for both AMD and Nvidia too.  I just keep hoping they get if fixed.

0 Kudos
brodingo
Adept I

GPU: SAPPHIRE Radeon RX VEGA 64, 18.6.1

Windows 10

Monitor: BenQ XL2730Z

Display Connection: DisplayPort

Describe Issue: Brightness flickering in multiple games when FreeSync is enabled

Additional Information: Brightness flickering in Elder Scrolls Online menus and gameplay, also very pronounced when streaming from Xbox One via the Windows 10 Xbox app.

frostygrin
Elite

GPU: Asus Strix R9 380

Windows 10

Monitor: Acer ED242QR Abidpx

Display Connection: DisplayPort

Describe Issue: Brightness flickering when close to the lower Freesync limit, even when frametimes are locked.

Additional Information: What I find most interesting is that even when I lock framerate with RTSS - and the graph keeps showing exactly the same frametimes, the monitor OSD still shows the framerate jumping across the LFC limit, leading to brightness flickering. I adjusted the lower Freesync limit to 68Hz with CRU and limited framerate to 76 fps with RTSS. Even when you're just standing and not doing anything, even when the graph is showing exactly the same frametimes throughout, the monitor still shows flicker occasionally. So where does the timing issue arise? Only when I limit framerate to 78-80 fps - more than 10fps above the minimum Freesync limit - this flickering stops. Another thing worth mentioning is that flicker is more intense when the same game limited to the same framerate is using borderless window, not exclusive fullscreen.

0 Kudos
quardah
Adept III

oh i totally forgot to tag amdmatt​ in my previous comment to notify him that's we're still having trouble.

Btw support now entirely ceased to reply to me. Last reply they said they escalated the issue to level 2 support but level 2 support never replied back.

So yea i guess this is where it ends for official support now we just have to wait if AMD will ever fix its hardware. Maybe there will be some soft of silly lawsuit and we'll get 20$ just like Sony with Linux on Playstation 3 but that would be a huge bummer because all i want is a functioning GPU, not some sort of crappy compensation.