cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Zeltor
Adept II

Bought a 7900 XT, have a lot of jitter in games...any one else?

Hey guys,

So right of the bat my last AMD card was a HD 4870, so it's been a while! I have my 7900 XT for 2 days now and I'm really anxious and worry a lot. Like, it really keeps me up at night.

Here's the thing, a lot of the games I played on my 7900 XT have left me with a worse experience than my old RTX 2070.

For example I notice that the 7900 XT stutters a lot in open world games when things need to load in or changes in the environment which is weird. 

For example cutting a tree in New World switches the model to a tree that falls down, the moment that happens I see an instant spike in my frametimes and the game stutters.

In Overwatch, The frametimes are very good capped at my monitors refresh rate and the game feels buttersmooth! But compared to my 2070 which never had stutters/jitter, on the 7900 XT sometimes stutter happens when new parts of the map become visible (I guess or maybe it's just random).

I tried a game that is internally locked, Final Fantasy 7 remake at 120 FPS; on my old 2070 I got a small spike at first when running circles around a crowd and then it's fine but on the 7900 XT it keeps spiking the frametimes and the game feels not smooth.

Tried Hell Let Loose but it was kinda unplayable, the stutter was extremely bad. Like sitting on one spot aiming at a fixed location is fine but as soon as I start to move and turn the camera the game stutters a lot.. It's like the 7900 XT has issues streaming stuff in.

So bottom line is this: (maybe I'm looking for some peace of mind) I've never bought a card on launch, I'm not super wealthy this is like a very big purchase for me, is this a normal thing with new AMD cards? Will these issues get ironed out? I can't imagine that this behavior is normal on AMD cards overall right? Am I missing something, some setting or knowledge?

I'm really considering returning the card which can also be a bad move because they sell out really fast in my country and prices will probably go up.

I'm just really worried and reading stuff just now about Dysfunctional Shader Prefetch Units doesn't make me feel any better.

1 Solution
Zeltor
Adept II

So here is what fixed it for me:

My old 2070 was connected with a single PCIe power cable that had a 2x 8pin split at the end.

Somehow I totally did not compute to use 2x PCIe power cables for a way powerful GPU like the 7900 XT when I swapped out the GPU.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

Delete that last sentence, it was fud & has been debunked.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
Nytevizion
Adept II

I'm noticing "jitters" or periods of micro stuttering at high FPS on my 7900XT. I'm capped at 75 with Vsync but there's plenty of headroom way beyond 75 when this is happening. There's also a general increase of hitching and stuttering since I installed it. I just hope it's a general problem.

0 Likes

May I ask why you're using ingame Vsync and not Radeon Chill in the driver?

And do you use 2 separate PCIe power cables or 1 that has a split?

0 Likes
Zeltor
Adept II

So here is what fixed it for me:

My old 2070 was connected with a single PCIe power cable that had a 2x 8pin split at the end.

Somehow I totally did not compute to use 2x PCIe power cables for a way powerful GPU like the 7900 XT when I swapped out the GPU.

bas8534
Adept II

How i got here, old card nvidia 2080, never had jitter/stutter.
uninstalled all nvidia drivers and software

installed the 7900xt card.

temperatures maxes out at 76 C junction which is apparently very low.

Jitter stuttering in Assetto Corsa which runs at about 133 fps. Never seen with the nvidia card.

really, REALLY disappointed i need to spent and waste hours and hours and hours to get it fixed and read through all the many sites with the usual "fixes" that fixes absolutely nothing at all.

Hopefully AMD can respond here and fix it, where it should be fixed, at the driver level! Or give me my money back.

0 Likes

If you have a second monitor hooked up can you try disabling or unplugging it and see if the jitters and stuttering continues? 

0 Likes
bas8534
Adept II

Replying to myself,

With installing of 7900xt cpu interconnect/memory refuses 2000Mhz. Visible with hwinfo64, last item is the one if you have errors. It should stay zero or near zero for long periods(2 hours+).
Had to lower memory to 3800Mhz to keep 1:1 ratio. 
Why new card causes this, i do not think AMD can care, since 1900Mhz/3800Mhz is still outside specification (overclock). So not a driver issue in my case.

0 Likes