cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Bluescreen when trying to install drivers for RX 590 8GB

Hello Volks,

I got a problem with installing the GPU drivers for my RX 590 8GB on my Windows 10 64 Bit. When I try to install the RADEON-software-adrenaline-2020-20. 12. 1 drivers I get a blue screen. When I try to uninstall the drivers windows has already installed in order to get to a "clean" state before installing the radeon drivers I also get a blue screen. This is not the first time that I run into this problem. Last time I only got it fixed with a fresh installtion of windows but I refuse to do this again.

I installed the adrenaline software after a fresh windows installation (because of the same problem, a year ago) and everything was fine. One day with the latest update around christmas I got my first blue screen (again...). After a restart there was no adrenaline software installed anymore and windows probably choose to install some standard drivers. Since then I am stuck with these and I have no change to install any drivers for the gpu. I only can use what I have or get a blue screen.

0 Likes
11 Replies

I fixed the problem. I finally could uninstall the gpu driver for good by using a tool called "display driver Uninstaller" without getting a bsod.
Funny side note - when I installed the gpu driver again, it recommended me the version 20.11.2 which is the version I installed then. The whole troubles started after I upgraded to version 20.12.1.

Why does the installer recommend me version 20.11.2, but the Radeon software did recommend me to upgrade to version 20.12.1?
Anyways, things are running normal again.

0 Likes

Because the driver you are using is really made for the 6000 series cards. For yours, you'll have better results sticking with the 20.8.3. If this 20.11.2 is working, well than leave it be. If not revert to the 20.8.3 and never update again. Nothing new is going to be added for your card. The software will always try to download the latest version but it doesn't have the intelligence to know that there's no reason to update certain cards. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes

Next time use AMD cleaning tools that will work good also you can download a driver that is exactly for you video card they have tools for that too. 

0 Likes

He did use a good cleaner. DDU is well recognized. In fact that is the tool built into AMD drivers today. AMD acquired licensing to incorporate that software a while back. It just doesn't say "DDU".

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 100 time AMD support team told ppl not to use DDU also last time the dude you told to use it is said that missed up his PC . Use a tool that build for the product. DDU only work good if you want to change between nvidia to AMD. 

0 Likes

Where? Show me the post? I never messed up anyone's PC with my advice. AMD never told people 100 times to not use DDU. They bought a license for it and integrated a version of it in their driver package. I believe I still have the email from AMD Insider about that. In fact, it's laughable that you accuse me of messing someone's PC up because they used DDU. There's no possible way for DDU to do anything bad other than remove the GPU driver if you follow instructions. It can remove the audio driver or chipset driver if you select that and it warns you about it. Yet the AMD "factory reset" will rip out the chipset driver and audio as well. That could make one's PC non-bootable. Aside from all this, go troll someone else. This OP clearly used DDU with success and correctly.

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 something tell me that you working for DDU or getting payed from them because you advertise DDU alot but not the tools that AMD build to do the same thing for thier product . That if funny.  

0 Likes

Solved: Why do we have to use DDU AMD? - AMD Community now go away I do not work for DDU. 

0 Likes

@mackbolan777 you make ppl life harder with DDU adverting you know that AMD cleaning tool run in safe mode too ? what that dude said it was related to safe mode what you post is irrelevant. Also that was from 2018 post AMD change things for their cleaning tools also you do not need to have knowledge how to go to safe mode because AMD cleaning tools doing it for you and you do not need to do anything other then click on to yes button to clean the drivers .

0 Likes

Well well well, I have not seen that you guys continued my monologue. Thanks for the answers.

I still got some little problems with the gpu but nothing as serious as it was before. Sometimes during a game I would get a black screen and after a second the game would continue but with graphics set to potato and sometimes the fps where locked to 30. Anyways, i followed now the recommendation and used the gpu driver uninstall tool again and went back to version 20.8.3 and will stay there.

I am still really baffled that the radeon software recommended me to update but well, what can you do?!

Glad it worked. The Radeon software isn't AI, it just search's AMD's server and looks for a numerically higher driver every time you boot or connect to the internet. Locking to 30 FPS is a known issue with many AMD drivers. You need to do something to cause it, I forget but the only fix when it happens is to reboot. All you can do is set it to not auto update, lol. It is a shame there's no warning label and one has to gain this knowledge manually.