cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Blender 2.83: AMD Blender Open Data Benchmark Performance is embarrassing versus Nvidia.

AMD Blender Open Data Benchmark Performance is embarrassing versus Nvidia.

I just took a look at the performance of top end versions of all supported AMD GCN generation GPU on Blender 2.83. with AMD Latest Adrenalin 2020 20.5.1 Driver.

The performance of AMD GPUs on that test suite is embarrassing.

RX Vega 64 Liquid is still faster than RX5700XT. 
I compared to a 2 slot (40mm) dual fan Palit RTX 2080 OC at stock clock speed.

Let's just concentrate on the most complex test case in the Blender Test Suite - "Victor".

Nvidia RTX2080 (~ a.k.a RTX2070 Super these days)  CUDA performance is much faster than RX Vega 64 Liquid.
Nvidia RTX2080 (~ a.k.a RTX2070 Super these days)  OptiX performance extends that lead even further.

Please do not suggest that I run Blender on a 16 core 32 thread Ryzen Processor to attempt to catch up to Nvidia RTX 2080 performance.

I admit I have not tested a Radeon VII. I did try to buy one at launch. Luckily they had none in stock and I got a refund.
The RX Vega 64 Liquid was tested running at the same clock speed and higher HBM2 overclock than a Radeon VII anyhow.

Suggesting I use Radeon ProRender instead is not a serious option.

Lower end, older GPUs such as the RX590 8GB or the formerly top end R9 390X 8GB will not even run the "Victor" benchmark. They freeze at the starting point.

HBCC is not supported on Blender at all.  Turning it on with an RX Vega 64 Liquid results in Blender Crash/Freeze.

So AMD - have you just given up on GPU Compute for Blender completely?

Thanks.

9 Replies

0 Likes

Submitting AMD Reporting now.

0 Likes

Well - I would submit an AMD Reporting form if your own Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI drop down menus worked in your own Adrenalin 2020 Driver Software once you find where to report issues online:
pastedImage_1.png

Well you can ask for support. If you were new to the AMD site and look for how to get to the form for support help it is about as non-intuitive as it gets. 3 levels in with links that would not be what I was looking for for a support request. 

So it sorta makes sense the Radeon Settings version doesn't work. They don't help in their forums. It is kinda like winning a lottery when you do find the support form and if they even answer. For me it is about 1 out of 50 times at this point that I ever get a reply. So I am not too convinced they really want to help. 

When I use Report Issue Online in the Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI with 20.5.1 drivers it launches a new Browser Window and I can file am AMD Reporting Form w/o problem. I can use cut/ copy  and paste in the Browser as normal.

In Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI  with it's "Built In Browser" nothing seems to work. Even simple cut/copy and paste, drop down menus etc.
There are many things wrong with that Adrenalin 2020 GUI/UI. It is so annoying.

I really hope that the option to install the Adrenalin 19.12.1 GUI/UI with new 2020.6.X or 2020.7.X  etc Drivers is implemented.
Doing separate Hybrid Driver install is a pain but at least it works, and it seemed stable on the RX5700XT.

Back to the main topic.

Nvidia RTX2080 performance in Blender 2.83 makes rendering on AMD GPU or Ryzen CPU obsolete.
I will file the Reporting Form later today using link from AMD Support page.

0 Likes

The issue report goes where it is supposed to pretty well from the old driver but you don't get help from this just able to report. So I am actually saddened to hear the new way does not work as well. Further saddened they cant add a support request to Radeon Settings too.  To find the issue report manually you have to be on the download page for your driver which at least makes sense as it is directly related to that driver. The support request is just not easy to find. You would think they could put right on the contact page or at least right on the support page. But it is buried cryptically 3 links deep. 

I just bought two Gigabyte  RX590 8GB.
I only wanted the REV1.0 and got stuck with the falsely advertised REV2.0. It was safer and cheaper to keep the REV2.0.
I bought because of ROCm OpenCL testing versus Fiji GPU.
I also bought because I thought I could use the RX590 8GB with confidence in Blender.
I am much more saddened that they will not even work properly in Blender 2.83 Benchmarks.
I am shocked and saddened at how much AMD is behind Nvidia in Blender 2.83 performance now.
AMD are completely of the picture in Blender for GPU and CPU versus just running CUDA or OptiX on a single RTX2080 based on those Blender "Victor" Benchmark Results.

Tried again this morning.
Managed to submit the AMD Reporting form.
Menus still locking up, but started working / locking up / working  then locked up again over a period of 1 hour.
Really frustrating.

The menu locked up just before the last step which was asking for optional information about nearest PSU Size. 
Since I had so many problems getting to that stage, and it had locked up yet again I just clicked submit.
For AMD Information 1600W Corsair AX1600i.

I have reported that the performance of RTX2080 CUDA and OptiX on Blender 2.83 "Victor" benchmark is Orders of Magnitude faster than performance of AMD GPU or CPU solutions. 

Best AMD GPU Performance I tested was RX Vega 64 Liquid, leaving RX5700XT in the dust.
CPU = Ryzen 2700X 8 Core 16 Thread CPU tested.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

I am opening a Blender bug report about this.
Details to follow.

0 Likes