cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Senkloaf
Adept I

Blank - No display after adding discrete graphics card to my system

2 days ago I updated my RX 580's drivers, and upon completing, my pc refused to work. It turns on fine, but that's it. Monitor says no signal, I've tried DP and HDMI and no different results. Just keeps saying no signal. I don't have another monitor to test it with but I highly doubt my monitor gave out the minute my drivers finished updating. Any help would be appreciated. Never had a problem like this before.

0 Likes
1 Solution

If you physically disable the Integrated Graphics in BIOS Settings all you have to do is remove the RX580 and do a CLEAR CMOS to reset the BIOS back to factory defaults.

That means that the Integrated Graphics is now enabled again. Make sure you have your Monitor connected to the Motherboard video outputs port to get video to your monitor.

By the way you don't have to disable the Integrated graphics. The moment you install a GPU card BIOS will automatically make the GPU card your main display adapter and not the integrated graphics.

At the same time the moment your remove the GPU card BIOS will then make your Integrated Graphics again the main display adapter.

Now you can remove the current AMD driver from your PC. Install the RX580 and see if you now have video output. If you do then install the AMD Driver you had before or a newer one but not the same version as the one that caused your issue from AMD Download page Previous Driver download page.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
oTec
Journeyman III

When you boot up the pc, does it show anything like the splash screen of your motherboard or totally nothing?

If so, are you able to enter safe mode on the boot up screen?

It used to be F8 on alot of pc's, but i don't think W10 allows it anymore...

Might also be worth to plug both hdmi and dp cable in at the same time. I've seen post of people in the past who kept a second cable or plug constantly in their pc due to an issue with amd software.

0 Likes

It shows totally nothing, when I tried HDMI I had the DP in as well. When I boot up my pc it's as if my monitor isn't plugged in (even though it is). It doesn't react in any way.

0 Likes

What is the Make & Model of your Motherboard & CPU and Windows version installed?

0 Likes

MSI B450M Bazooka and Ryzen 5 2400G (used this when I first built my pc because I couldn't afford a graphic card). Windows 10

0 Likes

Since you are not getting any Video output from your RX580 and you have a AMD APU processor with integrated graphics see if you have video output from your motherboard's Video Output ports.

If you don't have video output from your motherboard, Temporarily remove your RX580 and see if you now have video output from your motherboard.

This will at least eliminate a defective cable or Monitor if you get video from your motherboard video outputs from your Integrated Graphics.

If you have video then you can start troubleshooting your RX580 GPU card.

once you are able to enter Windows using your APU graphics look at Device Manager and see if your RX580 is recognized or there are any errors being indicated.

0 Likes
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

If you have another GPU around power down your PC and replace your RX580 with it. This will fool your PC into seeing new hardware but will detect that it doesn't match the driver signature for the card it last had installed (the 580) and should boot up into safe mode. This will tell you if you have bad drivers a bad GPU a bad HDMI or a bad monitor. 

Also if your integrated APU drivers were active you may be experiencing a software conflict. Having 2 different GPU drivers fighting over which one sends signal can cause a no signal or black screen. Since its an APU it is always going to be recognized as the primary video source just like integrated MOBO graphics will default as primary and if you don't deactivate those integrated GPU drivers before installing a dedicated GPU you will get software conflicts.

0 Likes

I wish I had another GPU around but sadly I don't. I know it's not a bad HDMI or Monitor as it happened as soon as the drivers were installed. I deactivated the integrated GPU almost as soon as I got the rx580.

0 Likes

If you physically disable the Integrated Graphics in BIOS Settings all you have to do is remove the RX580 and do a CLEAR CMOS to reset the BIOS back to factory defaults.

That means that the Integrated Graphics is now enabled again. Make sure you have your Monitor connected to the Motherboard video outputs port to get video to your monitor.

By the way you don't have to disable the Integrated graphics. The moment you install a GPU card BIOS will automatically make the GPU card your main display adapter and not the integrated graphics.

At the same time the moment your remove the GPU card BIOS will then make your Integrated Graphics again the main display adapter.

Now you can remove the current AMD driver from your PC. Install the RX580 and see if you now have video output. If you do then install the AMD Driver you had before or a newer one but not the same version as the one that caused your issue from AMD Download page Previous Driver download page.

I will try that as soon as I get home from school tomorrow. Thank you. I'll need to look up how to clear the CMOS. Then if this works I'm gonna have to figure out what the heck my bios settings were. I built the PC but my dad configured it. Thanks again.

I've been building PC's for over 22 years. I can't believe I forgot the clear CMOS or Hardboot option. Thanks for bringing that up and it solved the issue. It's a little embarrassing for me as often as I've solved my own PC issues by performing a Ram Clear CMOS clear or Hardboot. Glad the OP got his PC back up. 

@ThunderBeaver 

That has happened to many good technicians including myself. Sometimes the first and easiest troubleshooting steps are forgotten because the Tech starts looking at more complicating troubleshooting steps and forgets the most basic steps first.

0 Likes

hello thank you, i have similar issue but my CPU doesn't have integrated graphic, in this case what to do? 

my problem the same no display , not detect 

i was using old NVIDIA that was working fine but i need to upgrade...

max111
Adept I

it broke mine too, first i had to enable CSM in BIOS then it booted then while installing drivers screen went off never come back do restart same screen off...what to do guys?

0 Likes