cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

batza
Journeyman III

black screens when gaming

Hey, I got black screens (I have 3 monitors) when gaming the last couple of days (playing new world), I had to reboot the PC. I have the latest drivers. I read that there is an issue with the game where the TDP goes well above 100%, and I had it too - I got 420W max TDP with my 300W sapphire nitro+ 6800 XT. My question is - if I just click on "undervolt GPU" in the AMD software, will it fix the problem? I'm a bit worried the the next time it happens, my GPU won't survive.

0 Likes
7 Replies
vialli100
Forerunner

Hi,

Do you mean you PSU is 420w?

If it is I would upgrade it with that GPU, get at least a 850w gold and a good make Seasonic etc. Be prepared to spend some money, don't go cheap as the PSU is the most important component..

Getting an 850w gives extra headroom as AMD say minimum is 750w..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

no no, my PSU is 750W, the card maximum draw was 420W (or maybe even 440W) - I used HWmonitor software to check it. The card should be maxed out at 300W, with rage mode/overclocking it can go a bit higher, maybe 10%, but 420/440 are values that shouldn't be reached, even if my PSU could handle it, other components may not.

Many people have issues with this particular game (new world), I did a bit of research, and disabling overclocking, limiting the power draw of the card to 80-90% and maybe limiting fps should help. Almost all the problems reported were on nvidia cards, but I found people have issues with AMD cards too. For nvidia, limiting the power draw is a bit difficult, well, at least you need MSI afterburner software to do it easily. For AMD, there is a button called "undervolt GPU", I'll see what it does when I'll come back from work.

The recommended PSU for 6800 XT is 650W, so I should be just fine with 750W. But only if the card doesn't go to a crazy value, like above 400W.

0 Likes

The RX 6800 is 650w and the RX 6800XT is 750w PSU..

But i would think your PSU is sufficient..

What make is your PSU?

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

You can easily reduce the power of your card by using the Radeon software. Just enable power tuning and adjust the Power Limit slider to the far left. Your card will use less power and lower the TDP.ScreenHunter_174 Oct. 14 11.34.jpg

0 Likes

My PSU is fine, it's a corsair one.

my system is this:

Ryzen 5600x

Asus B550-F motherboard

4x8GB Crucial Ballistix RAM 3600mhz

Saphhire nitro+ 6800 XT

However, my PC state is much worse now, it's unusable, I'm taking it to a repair lab, as I don't even know where the problem lies. I started to get black screens without even launching any game, just within a minute or two after booting. Sometimes I can't get it to post - I have the DRAM lamp on. Then I try with less RAM sticks, usually I can get it to post with no DRAM lamp issue, but I still get the black screens. I put all 4 sticks back in, it booted fine, but still black screens after a minute. One time the screens stayed on, but the PC became unresponsive. I can't even power it down by holding the power button, I need to do it from the back. So I don't even know where is the problem - graphics card? RAM? mobo? I feel completely beaten and I don't want to touch the PC, I'll just take it to a repair lab and see what they say.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't use the Adrenalin software but the MSI Afterburner, which is easier to handle. With the benchmark Furmark (GPU-Z + GPU-Shark included) you can test the graphics card for FPS, core clock, core voltage, temperature and power consumption with 0x-8x MSAA. With the GPU-Z in the lookup, you can view its manufacturer-specific graphics card features and compare them with the standard settings of the Radeon driver and try out corresponding profiles with a lower core clock, core voltage and fan optimization in the Afterburner. Under General Settings in the MSI Afterburner Compatibility Properties, activate all ticks with User Mode and MSI Advanced. I have created different graphic profiles for my games (Horizon Zero Dawn, Rage 2, Doom Eternal, Valhalla and currently Cyberpunk 2077 and also adjusted the graphics settings in the game menus.

0 Likes
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

Reduce the power limit found in Radeon Software > Performance > Tuning to -10% if you want to reduce power draw.
0 Likes