black screen

Specs:

OS - windows 10

Processor - i5-3570k

Memory - 2 4gb ram

Motherboard - Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3

Graphics Card - XFX Radeon HD 7850

Summary:

Using my dual monitor to watch and play the recently dl fortnite. Few minutes in, my monitor with fortnite flashed blue-ish vertical streaks then crashes. Had trouble booting the system but was able to after using system recovery. Next day works fine and again, dl fortnite and tried playing it while watching something on the side. Few minutes in, the monitor with fortnite flashes blue-ish vertical streaks again and crashes. This time couldn't troubleshoot, system recovery, disk repair doesn't work at all except booting in safe mode.

Thought it was the OS acting up so I took it to a Microsoft store to have it repaired. Later finding out OS was fine, boots through motherboard after taking gpu out. Tried completely removing amd gpu driver from pc and reinstalling it in safe mode. Black screen persist when trying to boot unless through motherboard. Booting the pc does turn on the fan for the gpu, but I don't see it in the device manager. 

Current Situation:

Basically I'm in denial that my gpu is dead, especially with the influx of pricing for gpu currently in the market.

"Is there something else I could try or do I face reality?????"

0 Likes
10 Replies
huebert
Adept I

Side Note:

-I can hook up my hdmi port from the gpu to monitor with a display but only when I remove the drive for the gpu.    

-Any attempt to re-install and update the gpu drive gives me the black screen again after restarting.

- gpu fan works if that helps and no noises or crackling

0 Likes
huebert
Adept I

Could I get a confirm dead on my gpu or a possibility fix by any chance?

0 Likes

Your Motherboard has Integrated Graphics. In BIOS, do you have the Discrete Graphics as Default?  It would look like something like PEG-PCI or something like that in BIOS. If it has IGP or something similar, than the computer is made to boot up with the Integrated Graphics from your Motherboard. If you have PEG as default, then the computer will boot up with the Discrete Graphics (HD 7850).

By your statement it seems like you have BIOS to use the Discrete Graphics. When you boot up with the discrete GPU card, does the computer BEEP more than once while Posting?

When it crashes are there any BSOD error messages or any type of error messages. Did the computer just restart by itself as though you pressed the Restart button on the computer case?

You didn't post your PSU. But if your PSU is equal to or greater than 450 watts than you are fine. Sometimes a failing PSU will cause GPU graphics distortion since it is not getting enough power to operate correctly.

Try installing a previous AMD driver and see if it works correctly. You didn't mention the current version of AMD driver you have installed. By the way, I don't believe you can install AMD Driver set in Safe Mode. Needs to be in Windows Desktop.

Run SFC /scannow in elevated Command Prompt to eliminate any Windows corruption or missing files. to try the following in installing the AMD Driver:

Try this basic method of uninstalling and reinstalling AMD Drivers.

First download the correct Full AMD driver set from AMD Support for your Desktop: Desktop : 3/26/2018 version.

Make sure your Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update (including Optionals).

Disconnect the Internet from your computer to prevent it from installing a different GPU Driver than the one you are installing.

Use Windows 10 Uninstall to uninstall all AMD Drivers and software. Then use DDU in safe mode to completely eliminate all traces of the old AMD drivers and software related to the GPU.

Delete C:\AMD Folder. This prevents New and Old AMD driver files from installing and corrupting the installation process.

After rebooting from DDU, Reinstall the new AMD Full set of drivers. If it installed correctly, again delete C:\AMD folder to save Hard Disk space and reconnect to the Internet.

If it the problem continues after everything done here. The best way to check if it is your GPU card is bad is by installing it in another Computer and see if the problem shifts over to the new computer. If it doesn't, than the card is good and you need to find out what is wrong with your computer that is causing the GPU card to not work.

You may want to run a diagnostic test like OCCT which is a free program to Stress test the CPU, GPU, and PSU. Warning: the PSU test can damage or ruin a weak or Cheap PSU. Keep tabs on the Outputs if the PSU test runs and stop it if you see anything strange happening to the PSU.

If you do decide to check your PSU with OCCT and it crashes as soon as the test starts. Download Furmark and use that to stress test the GPU card and see if it crashes. If it does, it is a good chance your PSU is bad or failing under heavy loads.

Thanks for replying to my inquire, and regards to your questions:

- When I try to boot the gpu, no beeps or noise were made. Just the windows loading screen follow by a black screen.

- Any attempt to re-install the drive just turns the screen black again which results in me having to remove it in safe mode to operate the pc. I made sure to delete all files of the previous amd drive using a display driver uninstaller before installing a new one. (And yes I used the AMD recommend drive finder and attempted the manual drive downloader as well.)

- I have done the SFC /scannow and have taken it to a windows store where they confirmed the windows operate fine as long as I boot it with the integrated      graphics.

- My PSU unit is 750 watt, plus I have used this build for over 5 years so I would think that isn't the issue.

- I have attempted to try the gpu unit on another pc but the problem does persist.

- In regards to the diagnostic test, I am unable to since any attempt to install the drive to test it results in the black screen.

Side note: Although I can't get pass the black screen, I am able to use the hdmi port have get a display image and the fan does work. I inspected the gpu      and saw no damage that could cause it to not work either.

darshan
Adept I

my r7265 crashed 2 days ago while starting up fortnite. now gpu is dead

i get black screen after windows logo

I have the same problem

i fixed mine 5 days ago.

reflowed gpu with a heat gun. still working fine

0 Likes

what is you driver version ?

0 Likes

adrenaline latest

0 Likes