Black screen intermittent

My desktop PC is a new build.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon wifi 8 GB

GPU: XFX Radeon RX 5500 XT

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro  4 x 8GB @3200 MHz

PSU: Corsair RM650

Display:Samsung 4K 32" LC32H711QEUXEN  HDMI 2560 X 1440 in Freesynch mode

I purchased the XFX Radeon RX 5500 XT as a replacement for the RX 580 Gaming X 8GB I was using from my previous build. I wanted to take advantage of the PCI Express 4.0 capability of the new card. I did not expect to have any black screens occur. It also happends when I start up Borderlands 3, which make the PC useless if I want to game. 

The HDMI cable I am using is the one that was delivered with the Samsung 4K display. The cable did not give me any problems with the RX 580 Gaming X  installed.

I would appreciate some help in resolving this issue.

3 Replies
erico
Adept I

I think I may have resolved the issue on my own. I went ahead and used the Radeon panel (Alt-R) to perform a factory reset. The black screen appears to be gone. I launched the game and that went without any problems, unlike before with the annoying black screens. I just played the game for about eight minutes without any issue. I am happy.  I was on the edge of yanking the new card and putting the old RX 580 Gaming X card back in.

Update:

Unfortunately, the issue returned when I started the PC this morning. I have submitted an AMD bug report.  This time it was my invocation of Snagit to take a screenshot that triuggered the Black screen/grey screen and static scree. PC was unresponsive to a CTrl+Alt+Del keystroke and needed a hard restart  to make the desktop useful again.

I went ahead and uninstalled the 2020 (20.9.1) AMD Adrenalin software, restarted the box, downloaded and installed the WHQL (20.4.2)  version of the 2020 AMD Adrenalin software. I might just try turning off Freesynch to see if it has a positive effect.

0 Likes
jeffball610
Journeyman III

I had a similar issue popping up while trying to troubleshoot my own issues. For some reason the HDMI input runs the VRAM at a very low voltage. I was seeing 200-800mv. Stock is 1750mv for my card. Plugging in DP and it works fine. No idea why.

0 Likes
erico
Adept I

jeffball610‌ Interesting. Well, my Samsung 32" 4K display does not have a DisplayPort input option and I am not going to replace that unit. 

The blue led is lit on the card, so the external power to the card is OK.

This is pretty frustrating. I want to play my game and now I can't, at least with my new video card installed. If I can't get this card to work, I will remove it and return it.

I do still have my Radeon RX 580 Gaming X 8GB card to pop back in the RX 5500 XT card's PCIe x16 slot.

In the interests of troubleshooting, I just turned off the Freesynch  in the Samsung display menu and was able to run the benchmark inside of the Borderlands 3 game.

Yay!

Prior to this I found that Freesynch was auto set to ultimate mode by the game or display. I might try Freesynch on in standard setting to see if that works.

My next step will be to see if I can play the game.

OK. I just played the Borderlands 3 game for a few minutes. It does work. Frustration gone.

Now all I have to do is play around with a few settings. I am happy to no longer see the black screen and switching  to a finely grained static display.

0 Likes