Gin-Tonic
Journeyman III

Black screen Crash

Hi.

I have a brand new PC with the following:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5600

GPU - AMD Radeon 3.9 Mhz

MB  - Asus Prime A520M-A II

And I'm just trying to run something fairly old and simple as Pillars of Eternity or Torment: Tides of Numenera, but after playing 5, 10 or 20 mnutes the screen freezes and turns black and I have to reset the whole thing. I don't have another GPU and I don't have the money to buy a new more expensive GPU like a GeForce or something like that. Any thuoghts what could it be?

0 Likes
2 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

It will only happen in that game?

If so, looks like completely game related, but those games aren't that old and should run fine in todays machines. Running C&C Red Alert 2 (2000) from the CD is old but still works as the original HALO (2001), even System Shock 2 (1999).

Look for game patches as Red Alert 2 and System Shock 2 wont work on Windows 10 without them. It could help.

Try running it in windowed mode to see if the Windows is still responding in the background when it crashes, try other in game settings such as VSYNC or lower resolutions. Its all about troubleshooting.

Let me give you an example, my HALO installed from the original CD with VSYNC OFF its a complete mess, crashes, stutters and coil whine from the GPU. Disabling FreeSync from Adrenalin and Enabling VSYNC in the game and its a steady and a smooth game.

Its all about troubleshooting
Good Luck!

The Englishman
0 Likes

No, it's not game related, since it happened with different games. First, PoE, that's one game. Then Torment: ToN, which is from a different developer. And then with MTG: Arena, which is from another different developer. I actually believe it's either driver related or hardware related, but about the last one, I'm kind of struggling with the guys I bought from. If it's driver related, I seriously don't know, since I've already uninstalled and reinstalled drivers. The other day was playing MTG:A and every 10 minutes fo game the screen crashed and the game shut down, sendign my back to desktop, where an AMD message was saying that there where problems and asked to send a report. Where those reports go and if are read by someone, I ignore it.

0 Likes