cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nativeindian
Journeyman III

Black screen and GPU fan goes full speed

Hi! I have been using a Asus Strix Radeon Vega 64 card for the last one year. In the last couple of weeks, I have been facing this issue of when my PC randomly while playing a game (once even right after I just turned on my system and was still in login screen), the monitor goes black with no input and the GPU fans go to full speed. I can still hear the audio going on, but monitor remains blacked out without receiving any signal and its fan is going in full speed. Only way seems to be hardstop the PC and restart.

My rig also includes a i9-9900k CPU, Designare z390 motherboard, a Noctua D15 cooler and a Antec HG 1000W PSU. I checked a PSU calculator and it shows that my PSU is sufficient.

Also worth noting - I run a dual-boot hackintosh system (both OS are in different drives and its setup such a way that Windows is on the 1st PCI slot and never interferes with the MAC os or vice versa) and I have no issues running Mac OS Mojave and even during rendering/exporting 4k video, my system is very stable with no issues. This seems to happen only when I am using Windows 10.

I ran Unigine to test if my GPU is overheating but it doesn't really cross 75*C. I ran the test 4 times. The 1st & 4th time, at almost 70% through the test, the issue occurred again. The 2nd and 3rd time, it ran smoothly. During all 4times, my temperature didn't go beyond 75-76*C.

I did a complete clean install of windows again and installed the latest drivers [20.4.1].

Also worth noting, I am not a very technical person, so I've not fiddled with any of the settings in the AMD Radeon software (changing clock speed, voltage, power consumption etc.)

This issue is driving me nuts. Any help is really appreciated. Thank you in advance.

0 Likes
6 Replies
nyanmisaka
Adept I

Fallback to 19.12.1 since that was the last stable version. I have used all versions from 19.12.2 to the current 20.4.1 and the same issue still exists on my Vega 64 LC.

0 Likes

Hi there! thank you for your reply. Can you help with the following please?

1.) Where can I download the previous stable version you have mentioned?
I checked AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin (20.4.1 Beta) Download | TechPowerUp  for previous version, but 19.12.1 is shown as a beta version in this.

2.) Can you recommend a guide on the right way to remove the existing version and doing a clean install of the stable version?

Your help is appreciated! thank you!

0 Likes

https://www.amd.com/en/support/previous-drivers/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-series/radeon-rx-vega-series...

Display Driver Uninstaller aka DDU in safety mode.

19.12.1 is beta but it is stable enough. The last WHQL before 19.12.1 for Vega 64 is 19.10.1.

0 Likes

Hi, I did this and double checked to make sure I had done it correctly. I

still keep having the same issue.

Please help! Anyone faced similar issue even after rolling back driver? Any

other potential reasons for why this could be happening?

TIA

0 Likes

In my experience, there are no more failures after rolling back to the old version 19.12.1. Maybe you can look for an early 2019 version. If the issue persists, unfortunately you may need an RMA.

0 Likes
fgalas
Journeyman III

I had the same issues for 1 year now. I'm also running a dual MacOS system with AMD Vega 64.

Everytime when a game has special effects or many shadows, the GPU fans go up tp 100% and the black screen appears.

Up & downdating the newest or oldest driver didn't change anything.

Last week I installed the latest Driver 20.8.1 for my Vega 64 ROG Strix OC and I set the game levels to maximum, went to the same game areas. No blackscreens, no 100% fan anymore. Seems like the problem has been solved so far with this driver.

Hope it stays that way. Good luck!

0 Likes