Motherboard:GIGABYTE GA-Z270XP-SLI

CPU: Intel i5-7600K Kaby Lake 3.8 GHz

GPU: AMD RX 460 4Gb

- GPU running at 50C

Memory: 16Gb DDR4

Power Supply 750W

Display Driver: 18.8.2

Dual monitors using both HDMI and DVI output

I have been having a problem for a while now where I'll be creating something in Unity and both of my monitors will go black. Usually this only happens when I am working in Unity or Blender but it has occasionally happened when playing games. I've tried several "black screen of death" fixes such as checking for virtual monitors and plugging my monitor into the motherboard's HDMI output vs. the GPU's. A few days ago I was sick of dealing with this so I reformatted my hard drive and installed the newest AMD drivers for my card. I still get the same results but now when running Unity I only get the BSoD every once and a while. Sometimes when running Unity it just crashes and I submit an error report. A Unity customer service rep contacted me from one of the error reports I submitted and said that there was an issue with the atidxx64.dll file which is part of the AMD driver. I have the most recent driver (and have been having this problem with previous ones) and a fresh install so there can be no complications with previous installs. I'm pretty stuck at this point and don't know what to do from here and I'd appreciate any help!

0 Likes
3 Replies
dastre84
Journeyman III

I had been having a similar issue for the last 10 months with my 580.  Under-clocking 5% made the issue very rare.  I assumed that my old psu was likely to blame but last week i built a new machine keeping the 580.  Everything was fine until Windows Update...  the problem returned...

What I've noticed over the last 3 days there are 2 options.  With a fresh install of Windows 10

1. - Don't install the Radeon Drivers (Let Windows install the drivers for you.  They're installing 17.10.1731 quite old but no issues... yet.)

2. - Disable Windows updates

- Install Radeon Drivers manually

Seems like if you manually install the radeon drivers Windows Update will still install the old drivers and this is apparently causing issues.

Another thing I've noticed is that VC++ 2010 Redists cause this as well.

Hope this helps, good luck.

0 Likes

Funny, I've also had the issue for the last 10 months or so. It started shortly after I got my card and I wonder if it was the updated driver that caused it. What made you think the PSU could be the cause?

Have you found that you need a fresh install of Windows with the old drivers or will AMD's driver uninstaller work?

0 Likes

my old pc had a 550w psu and reaching 6 years old.  I've seen similar crashes when installing a gfx card on a prebuilt pc ie hp where they only have a 300-400w psu.  There's enough power to run the card normally but under load there may be times where it's being starved for juice.

I would try uninstalling the manually installed drivers first and then check for updates with windows.  Logically, this should work if you're experiencing the same issue.  I had originally thought it was an update for windows causing it and I'm on a fresh system anyway that's why i just reinstalled.

0 Likes