cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

interference
Adept I

Bad performance of Fury Nitro at cold boot (and bad Sapphire support)

I am the owner of a Fury Nitro since almost two years. Performance-wise I love the board for 1440p gaming and as a Linux user AMD is basically my go-to option.

The problem I have with the board is that very often after a cold boot (and less frequently after a normal reboot) the graphics performance is terrible, making the card unusable. A reboot usually cures the issue. I am running a Z97 platform (Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H) with a i5-4590 as CPU and a Corsair RM650i power supply.

TimeSpy benchmarks:

- regular: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/3145141

- problem: https://www.3dmark.com/spy/3140483

To summarise my troubleshooting so far:

- the problem has survived through several iterations of drivers updates, so it's safe to assume is driver independent;

- system BIOS reset didn't change anything

- affects both Linux and Windows in the same way, when it happens on Linux also 2D performance/compositor are affected, and all the desktop experience is sluggish, so it's OS independent;

- does not reflect on anomalies on the core voltage or clocks (everything looks regular);

- I have bought a Sapphire RX580 8Gb Nitro+ and the performance with the board has been rock solid for 1 week of testing;

- I have tried the same Fury Nitro on an older LGA775 motherboard without being able to reproduce the problem (same power supply).

So I am at a dead end. Playing with the board is feasible but having to reboot at least once 90% of the times is a pain. Selling the board will be complicate, due to possible problems (no way to test the issue without few days of testing on the host system). Putting it on a secondary system is hardly an option due to the huge size and power requirement.

Any recommendation on further troubleshooting?

In addition, I think I should mention Sapphire support has not been of any help:

- after a quite detailed explanation on my side in the first message, they gave me a standard answer with useless suggestions (like updating drivers and patching games, after I explained that the problem was not OS or game-related and after providing benchmarks);

- asked me to test on another motherboard/system which in the end I did, after that they told me again to try the new driver;

- I told them I was willing to retrieve an identical board to check that the problem is not dependent on my system, but they told me that in any case RMA is not possible because the board is outside the warranty period (which is not true, I am in Europe and entitled to a 2 year warranty) and has been "phased out" (so what?)

I understand the issue is subtle to pin-down and they are not willing to take in an RMA for something that may be an issue on the user side, but I offered to do any kind of test to verify that the issue is with the board and not with my system (I was ready to buy a second used Fury for that), still I am quite disappointed with the inconsistency of their answer.

0 Likes
10 Replies

I wonder if the Fury is close to thermal throttling due to the thermal material degrading

thermal pads do not seem to last long

I refurbished my GTX 750 and now it runs perfect with all operating systems and no performance issues

0 Likes

This cannot be the case, the issue comes and goes between reboots. When it boots "right" the performance is rock solid. I was also undervolting it under Windows, so temperatures where hardly an issue.

0 Likes

I wonder if you PSU is working ok

0 Likes

I assume it is, because the issues I am experiencing are totally uncorrelated with power load. It could still be that the PSU is "booting" into some unstable state, but then it may be very well the motherboard then.

0 Likes
h1ght
Journeyman III

Check your memory. i see you are running different modules.

windows/memory controller doenst know where to put files. so get those 2gigs modules out and see if the perfomance get better.

0 Likes

Do you even know what are you talking about since it seems you think that there are "files" in memory?

Anyway I have already tried running on two modules only.

0 Likes

i dont know, i open your links, and see u got 4 modules. 2x2gb and 2x4gb. that doesnt give perfomance..... the mainboard taking timings/speeds that are suitable for all 4 modules. so it takes the slowest.

but i see u dont know nothing...

0 Likes

If you read carefully the description of my problem you can see it's not a matter of peak performance (that can be affected by memory speed and timings) since peak performance is perfectly fine when the system boots the right way.

If you read the second line of my answer, you would also know that I already tried with just a pair of modules, so my problem is not even empirically related to the memory configuration.

On the other hand if you seriously believe that the OS puts "files" in memory, maybe you should learn some fundamentals before telling other people they know nothing

maybe you should learn how to build a pc. i click on your links and see different ram modules with different sizes.............

if u dont use dual channel properly u got half speed.

0 Likes

His ram is proper, you only have to go same size per channel. His speed is the same across all channels. I don't see an issue here at all.

0 Likes