Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

nkar
Journeyman III

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 - Low display resolution on windows 10

My system:

AMD Graphics Card

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 Graphics (switchable)

Desktop or Laptop System

HP G62-b15SV (XF346EA#b1a)

Operating System

Windows 10 64bit (1803)

Driver version installed

AMD 26/2/2016 15.301.1901.0 for ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series

AMD 26/2/2016 15.301.1901.0 for AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series

Display Devices

Laptop display 15.6" (1366x768)

Motherboard + Bios

HP Bios Version F.2B

CPU/APU

2.2 GHz AMD Athlon II Dual-Core Processor P340

Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage

90 W AC Power Adapter

RAM

6 GB

Describe your issue:

Have to say that, i had the same problem the first time i upgraded from windows 7 (64bit) to windows 10 (64bit), about 1 year ago. I remember that i solved it after testing different solutions i tried from web searching and finally after disabling the card: "AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series".

Unfortunately, after a recent windows updated i lost 1366x68 resolution. There is only option for 1024x768 or 800x600 resolution. As a result things on screen are stretched.

I downloaded and tried to install:

Catalyst Software Suite - 15.7.1 WHQL

Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta - Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta

Unfortunately, installation is interrupted with blue screen error saying that there was a problem with "atikmdag.sys". After restarting, i updated display drivers through windows device manager. Now i can see the two display adapters:

- AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 series (with a yellow prompt)

- ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 series

but still there is no option for resolution above 1024x768.

If i click on "Radeon Settings" i get message: "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD drivers are not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware".

0 Likes
3 Replies
nkar
Journeyman III

Problem solved with the above workaround:

1. downloaded from HP support site, drivers for windows 7 - 64 (sp53234.exe) and run it to create folder.

2. device manager > updated the driver (browse computer for driver software > browse and point to folder sp53234>packages>drivers>display

3. during driver update process, there was the blue screen error saying about atikmdag.sys.

4. after restart, windows were not starting because of the the blue screen error about atikmdag.sys

5. i got into safe mode and:

Step a: C:\Windows\System32\Drivers found atikmdag.sys & atikmpag.sys and copied to desktop

Step b: C:\sp53234 folder and found the file "atikmdag.sy_" and "atikmpag.sy_ "and copied to desktop.

Step c: opened cmd.exe (with admin rights), changed the directory to desktop and typied expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys. & expand.exe atikmpag.sy_ atikmpag.sys

Step d: copied atikmdag.sys & atikmpag.sys from desktop to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

5: restarted computer and the problem resolved.

thanks anyway

brut
Journeyman III

hi nkar  
I did all the steps as you wrote,
but in cmd says "no destination specified for: atikmdag.sy_atikmdag.sys"
can you help me?
you help me
0 Likes
brut
Journeyman III

I found a solution to the problem in another way that worked for me 

I would suggest you to uninstall the Graphic drivers and install in compatibility mode.

Download the Graphics drivers from your computer manufacturing website for Windows 7  

Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

1. Download the driver from the manufacturer's website.
  2. Right-click on the driver setup.exe file and click on 'properties' .
  3. Click on the 'compatibility' tab and check the box 'Run this program in compatibility mode' and select Windows 8 from the drop down menu and proceed with the installation.
  4. Once this is done, restart the computer and check if the problem persists
0 Likes