cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

alepirchi
Adept I
Adept I

ASUS Strix RX 480 Crashes in every game after menu.

Hello, my setup is the following:

►AMD Ryzen 7 1700 w/Wraith Spire Cooler
►ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero Motherboard
►2x8gb Corsair Vengance 2400Mhz (On A1 and A2 Slots, no dual channel)
►ASUS ROG Strix RX480 8gb
►Topower Powerbird 1200W 80Plus PSU

►Radeon Crimson ReLive 17.4.4

I already underclocked the memory and dissabled the default off cooling from ASUS.

Whenever I try to open a game I can get into the menus but as soon as the game finishes to load it just crashes, and sometimes show the error GPU not responding or DX11 crash.
It happens in every game I tried so far:

RE7 (WORKS WITHOUT WATTMAN ENABLED)

Need For Speed (WORKS WITHOUT WATTMAN ENABLED)

We Happy Few (WORKS WITHOUT WATTMAN ENABLED)

Outlast 2 (WORKS WITHOUT WATTMAN ENABLED)

BeamNG Drive (WORKS WITHOUT WATTMAN ENABLED)

Mirrors Edge Catalyst (WORKS WITHOUT WATTMAN ENABLED)

GTA V (WORKS WITHOUT WATTMAN ENABLED)

The Sims 3 (WORKS WITH WATTMAN ENABLED)

Battlefield 1, 3, 4 and Hardline (WORKS WITHOUT WATTMAN ENABLED)

Doom (WORKS WITH WATTMAN ENABLED)

Just Cause 3 (CRASHES AFTER MENU)

Quantum Break (CRASHES AFTER MENU)

UPDATE: I have installed AMD Software 17.5 and the problem persists, so far no aplication that relies on the GPU seems to work, Premiere Pro on the Mercury Plaback Engine works fine until I try to open a game and the Driver crashes so I get a white screen on the preview. Minecraft works fine even with graphics mod and big texture packs.

UPDATE 5-30-17: I have completly uninstalled every AMD driver in the computer and rolled back to 17.4.4, but this time I did not accept Wattman terms and conditions, when a game starts it plays ok and no problems appear, but Just Cause 3 and Quantum Break hace a GPU Driver not responding after going through the menus, also, performance is great in games that do work, no stutter or anything noticed. The AMD Radeon Settings app crashes randomly, but not during gaming, and the screen freezes for a few moments, audio continues normally but I get no message after the freeze, before I had the message displaying "AMD Wattman settings were set to default due to an unexpected system error".

UPDATE 14-7-19: After almost two years of having sporadic crashes I even changed the GPU to the NVidia GTX1070 and the PSU to a newer 750W 80+ Gold and even the Motherboard to an X470 only keeping the Ryzen 1700 and RAM. I still get the same crashes but are more uncommon, sometimes I can't even open games and other times I can play for hours after a restart. Sincerely I don't know what to do because I just don't want to keep spending money to have the same issue, the only thing left to change is the processor and RAM which I will replace with R7 3700X at launch. Premirere Pro still suffers constant crashes with CUDA On and graphic intense games seem to work for up to an hour then after a restart either refuse to run or work great for hours. Also any type of GPU stress test crashes, I sold my old RX480 mentioned in this thread to my best friend 18 months ago and had no issue whatsoever, the same goes for the old PSU and motherboard (sold to another friend) I suspect it might be a faulty processor or the RAM since I have a second Ryzen Build now that works great. Any ideas would be appreciated so that I can avoid to keep spending money on this PC to make it work properly.

PD: I know  the PSU is not the best but It ran a AMD 7950 Two-Crossfire without issues during the course of 3 years.

NOTE: The Graphics card is currently plugged in to 3 monitors and a TV.

Thanks for everybody and I hope you can help me since I built this PC only a Week ago and could not play anything ever since.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
john007
Exemplar
Exemplar

Re: ASUS Strix RX 480 Crashes in every game after menu.

What does the Event Viewer log at the time of the crash? Sounds like some sort of Driver/Directx corruption?

0 Kudos
alepirchi
Adept I
Adept I

When the game crashes I get a Windows Notification sometimes saying that Wattman crashed and other times that Radeon Settings crashed, also very rarely the screen freezes for 3 seconds and displays the same notifications. I performed two full reinstall of the latest drivers and after that a Full Windows reinstall, doesent seem to do anything.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

There really should be no need to underclock anything. Get rid of the ASUS (completely) controller...as mentioned time and again, third party controllers do not work well/conflict with ReLive/Wattman controls. Reset ReLive panel to default to correct any changes made by Asus.

AMD graphics performance

savagebeastzero​ might have some input....

0 Kudos
alepirchi
Adept I
Adept I

I've done this and now games load and instead of just crashing they last 20 or 30 secons and I get a message saying Wattman Setting changed to default because there was an error in the system and a DX11 crash saying GPU Not Responding. Should I update to 17.5.1 that was Released today?

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

I would.

0 Kudos
alepirchi
Adept I
Adept I

I just updated and have the same issue. Fun fact, updating AMD Drivers causes Aura Sync on the Crosshair VI Hero to slow down and glitch only in the music effect, fixes with restart though.
Regarding the drivers issue, what else can be done? I think the Card itself has no damage since after crash system works like normal.

0 Kudos
stone_age
Adept III
Adept III

I suggest using DDU and then going back to 17.2.1. and starting there. I have several Radeon cards including 3 R9 380's by different board partners. A Gigabyte, a MSI, and a Sapphire. None of them like the same driver. What will work great on one will crash everywhere on another. I don't consider that a problem with the programing of the drivers, it's a board partner problem using different memory and bios settings. You don't see that problem with Nvidia as they use samsung memory. But one of them switched to micron and had to release a bios update to make it work with the drivers, not the other way around.

savagebeastzero
Miniboss
Miniboss

Hey alepirchi,

Thank you for supplying your information, but if possible, could you perhaps also include the Asus crosshair VI Hero bios revision being used. I just want to rule a few things out in terms of system stability. This could very well not be a GPU issue per se, but instead be related to either an instable bios revision, a cpu displaying instability and is in need of some tweaking via the bios, memory instability etc. The catalyst of something like this could be represented in GPU crashes and event errors leading you to believe that it's the GPU, when in fact it's another component. Just a possible theory, but fairly common.

In the mean time, what I need you to do is determine your stability for core clock and memory clock frequency using AMD Wattman. So, what you need to do is ensure that you set the same configuration across all P-States for the core clock frequency and memory frequency being tested. As a general example (EX: 1400MHz gpu core clock, 4188MHz mem clock, 1068mV gpu voltage, 100% fixed fan sate , power limit +50 - across P-States 0-7).

So, what you need to do is return Wattman to default settings as kingfish previously mentioned and once complete, then in the Wattman control panel whatever the highest core frequency is (P-State 7?) copy that and paste it into all remaining P-States (0-6). Then also copy/paste the voltage of P-State 7 into the voltage for the remaining P-States as well. Set power limit to +50 and set your fan speed to maximum to ensure optimal temperatures and a safe testing environment.

Once complete, exit and stress test using 3DMark's Firestrike stress test if possible. It will run 20 cycles which takes approximately 7-10 minutes to complete. Immediately following, it will display your results along with a (pass/fail) grade. You will then be given an opportunity to save the results and also will provide you a link to them. Provide that data to me.

If in fact you can pass the test without issue, then we can determine that there is instability in one of the lower default P-States, which can be easily resolved and is quite common due to chips of differing ASIC quality. It could simply be one lower P-State that just isn't getting enough voltage when under strenuous conditions (under load), also very common.

If you can't complete the test due to crashes, no worries, just provide the information listed below when you reply and I'll review the data and see what we can do.

Also, stone_age recommendation to revert to driver revision 17.2.1 is a sound one. I've found this to be the most stable recent driver revision across varying systems. So that's definitely something to consider. Anyways, below is what I'll need from you.

What to provide in your reply

1. Motherboard bios revision being used currently  (Bios 0902/038/1001/1002/079/081/082/083/1007 etc) provide the screenshots as requested in "#3" below and it will contain the information I need.

2. If possible, a screen capture of all of your bios settings if possible via flash drive (If unsure how to do this a quick google search will provide a guide).

3. A screen capture of CPU-Z tabs CPU, Mainboard, Memory, SPD (all slots).

4. The results from 3DMarks FireStrike stress test (make sure you're performing a stress test and not a benchmark). Provide a link to the data.

5. A screen capture or copy/paste of any Windows errors that correlate to your issue. If there are any errors in Windows event viewer that occur at or near the time of this issue occurring supply them in the response.

6. Run 5 passes of the Cinebench cb15 benchmark and record the results. If you cannot complete the test without crashing, that's fine, just inform me of the results or lack thereof. This is just to check for basic cpu stability, but may isolate an issue if applicable.

For now providing this data will begin to process of determining what might be the cause. There are a few other things I may ask of you, but for now this will have to do as I have to prepare my children for school, but I'll try to return as soon as I can. Sorry I can't be more thorough right now.

john007
Exemplar
Exemplar

I would DDU the AMD driver, reinstall and 'don't' accept the terms and conditions to wattman. Then use Asus/Msi afterburner OC program.

Wattman is unstable.