cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

derechtelade
Adept I

Asus R9 280x triple monitor not working, even with active adapter

I know that this has been asked numerous times, but I can't seem to find a solution.

I've been trying to set up a triple monitor setup (two monitors and one TV specifically) with my R9 280x. As I've already learned, this only works when the third monitor is connected through an active DP to HDMI/VGA converter. I have bought this adapter, which specifically says in the description to be active. Then I connected my first monitor (HP 24fw) via HDMI and the second (Asus VH242) via DVI-D. The TV was connected via DisplayPort to HDMI with said active adapter, but as soon as I plug it in, the HP monitor doesn't receive a signal anymore. I have tried numerous ways of disconnecting and reconnecting the monitors in order, but it always had the same result.

How can I fix this? Is this an indication of a broken adapter, although it outputs a picture? Or is my software potentially misconfigured?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA H97 D3H

CPU: Intel i5 4570 @ 3.20 GHz

Memory: 16GB DDR3

GPU: ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II TOP

VBIOS: 113-AD47800-101

Driver: Adrenaline 2020 Edition 20.2.2

0 Likes
1 Solution

Okay, I feel really stupid now.

I was ready to write down a table of every possible order of combinations of plugging the monitors in, and right at the end I noticed something in the Display settings of the Settings App: Usually, the third monitor (in my case the HP one) would be shown as detected, but would be inactive, i.e. the square representing the monitor would be smaller. When you click on that inactive monitor and scroll down, there is a drop-down menu under "multiple screens" (I have a German Windows, so not sure about the exact translation), and as a default setting it was set to disable the third monitor. Switching this to whatever setting is needed resolved my problem. 

Thank you for your detailed answer though, otherwise I wouldn't have found the menu!

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Go to Windows Settings - Display and see what Hz your TV is set at. IF it is set at 59/60 Hz change it to 30 Hz and see if you get an image.

According to your active DP>HDMI Adapter it supports  Resolution up to 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz (depending on the system and the connected hardware) and Supports 3D displays (1080p @ 120 Hz) .

Here is a DP>HDMI Active adapter that supports 4k@60hz from Amazon AS AN EXAMPLE ONLY:  https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8 

Setting to 30Hz didn't work, even at lower resolutions. If I'm not mistaken, the adapter specification fits my TV, since it is not a 4k screen, but only a 1080p screen. Or am I missing something?

0 Likes

Well, you never mentioned what Resolution your TV was. I presumed it was 4K which are popular with Users.

Have you tried to see if all 3 monitors works correctly without any other monitor or TV connected?   One monitor connected at a time on all three GPU outputs.

Does it work correctly with 2 monitors connected at the same time and how?

According to your Asus GPU Specs it has:

So you should have Video outputs on all three at the same time.

You mentioned you tried all types of Monitor and tv combination connections. In every case did the Active DP>HDMI adapter work correctly in every case?

When you have all three monitors/TV connected what does Windows Settings - Display show?

Have you tried to connect the DP adapter with another Monitor and see if it works correctly with 2 monitors connected instead of three?

What exact errors shows up on your TV/Computer when it is connected without any video showing? 

Okay, I feel really stupid now.

I was ready to write down a table of every possible order of combinations of plugging the monitors in, and right at the end I noticed something in the Display settings of the Settings App: Usually, the third monitor (in my case the HP one) would be shown as detected, but would be inactive, i.e. the square representing the monitor would be smaller. When you click on that inactive monitor and scroll down, there is a drop-down menu under "multiple screens" (I have a German Windows, so not sure about the exact translation), and as a default setting it was set to disable the third monitor. Switching this to whatever setting is needed resolved my problem. 

Thank you for your detailed answer though, otherwise I wouldn't have found the menu!

Glad you got it working.

It is easy to overlook an obscure setting unless you know about it in advance.

Take care.