cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

MajorStress
Adept I

ASRock Radeon 6950xt crashes repeatedly

I upgraded from a Radeon 5700xt, because that card while ok, was becoming dated. A few newer games were not getting the FPS I would expect from it. So I built a new rig, and went to town with it. Ryzen 9 5950x CPU. 128 gigs 3200 ram. MSI 570s Tomahawk pro wi fi MB. Lots of cooling fans. 1000 watt power Supply. Overall spent about $3500 on all of this so there would be no excuses for low framerates.

Once rig was built, and Windows 11 loaded it ran like a charm. Ran all of the 3D mark benchmarks I could, and was laughing at about 150- 200 FPS. Then I loaded a game.... Bam! Crash. Reboot. Wattman settings reset due to unexpected failure.... Loaded a different game.. Bam! crash.. Rinse, and repeat for every game I tried. I was like "What the hell?!". So I started doing some research.

This crash issue seems to be nothing new. I've had the same issue on my old 5700xt rig, but it happened rarely. Its happening EVERY TIME I load a game on this 6950xt card! I made sure power connectors had their own cables. No joy. I DDU, and re-installed the drivers. No luck. Deleted Firefox. Nothing. Edited the registry. Nope Not today. Then re-installed windows. The card lasted longer this time, and ran No Mans Sky (quite beautifully I might add) for 5 minutes after re-installing windows. Then boom.. It stuttered at 2 FPS playing Space Engine before the black screen/force reboot. Thing is a long as I DONT run any games everything works great. It runs everything on 3D Mark no problems too (which I find weird). However this is supposed to be a GAMING rig. Not a $3500 web browser. What I want to know is.. It it the driver issues that have been plaguing AMD, or is it the card itself? Its a newly released card. So yes I rolled some dice with it. Hope I didn't roll snake eyes.

One thing to note. I didn't have the bios set up for the rig to use Smart Access memory the first time, and the crashes were instant. When I re-done everything I enabled it, and it ran little longer before crash.

CPU Ryzen 9 5950x

ASRock Formula Radeon rx 6950xt (adrenalin 22.7.1 drivers)

MSI mpg 570s Tomahawk pro wi fi MB (bios flashed to latest version)

128 gigs Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz ram

EVGA 1000 watt Power Supply

Running Windows 11. Everything up to date.

1 Solution
MajorStress
Adept I

I tried a higher wattage power supply to no avail. Was running a 1000 watt PSU, and that was the "minimum" requirement for the card. However, after installing a 1300 watt power supply the issues still persist like no change at all. So, I am resolving this as just a bad video card. Which is a shame i usually have had good luck with radeon cards.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
WildFire9859
Adept I

hi
i would say first turn off device installation setting then remove the driver with ddu and after a restart install "driver only" from amd driver package! don't install the whole package just the driver. see it that helps.

vialli100
Forerunner

Try taking some of that RAM out, try 2 in A2 & B2 first, swapping the dimms around..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.

Thank you for the reply's

It turns out that the ram was the problem. I swapped out the new 32gb per stick ram with older 16gb per stick, and everything worked like a charm. Still have wattman crashes when using firefox, but the games now work. Quite well i might add

Pity, because i wanted to max out ram.

I don't think this is solved if Firefox is causing wattman crashes.  What you could try is remove your driver with DDU and go with the last stable version, 22.5.1 I believe.

@vialli100 FYI I run Firefox just fine on my ryzen 3600 with radeon 6950 system so that's not the problem imho.

0 Likes

Easier than that, get rid of Firefox..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

You were right it's something else. The ram changes just prolonged the time to crash. I loaded Star Citizen, and it wouldn't make it past the load screen before the crash/reboot. I DDU in safe mode and installed the 22.5.1 drivers to no avail. I am at a loss. I tried everything I can think of. Power Supply is more than enough to run it. I can't swap the card to another rig, because the PSU is a 750 watt that is incompatible (doesn't have enough, and the right cables). What else is left to do? besides RMA?

I can run No Mans Sky, and Space Engine for a while, and it runs all 3dMark benchmarks. What an incredible disappointment.

EDIT: I installed my old rx 5700xt in this rig, and no problems at all. It can run everything (at a much lower framerate). So yea it's a bad card.

0 Likes
wurzin
Journeyman III

I have the exact same problem. 

It was quite pronounced while running Star Citizen. 

I found that by shutting off  MSI Afterburner helped immensely.

I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from AMD 22.7.1 and still have the same issue.

0 Likes

As to my issues: I've come to the conclusion that it was insufficient power.  My old powersupply, although a good one, just wasn't up to the task.  I've purchased an EVGA 1300G+ Supernova which is able to handle it without issue.

I wanted to run with it for a few days to validate my conclusion, but it's just, rock solid.

I used to shut down the quirky and buggy AMD application and run with MSI Afterburner, but after this issue and my having to slog my way through the totally unintuitive AMD software I've realized that I'm unfortunately going to have to use it anyway because of the AMD technologies that need it to be running to function for games that don't support the cards features natively.

Shout out to MSI for their superb software and their generosity in giving it's power to the community despite my recent problems with it.  AMD should bring them on as consultants to use their expertise in ergonomics in software design to redesign their software interface.

That said, the card is a beast.  Thanks AMD, keep up the good work! 

Cheers!

0 Likes

Okay so, followup.

Turns out the "RadeonSoftware.exe" was causing graphical artifacts, like my mouse cursor becoming a garbled mess, and it would still (far more rarely) crash the card.

So I shut it down and tried MSI's afterburner again, hoping that it wasn't some incompatibility with that software that was contributing to my earlier problems like it had appeared to be.

Well, walla!  It works perfectly and I haven't had a crash since.

Thanks MSI!  I apologize for the misunderstanding earlier.

0 Likes
MajorStress
Adept I

I tried a higher wattage power supply to no avail. Was running a 1000 watt PSU, and that was the "minimum" requirement for the card. However, after installing a 1300 watt power supply the issues still persist like no change at all. So, I am resolving this as just a bad video card. Which is a shame i usually have had good luck with radeon cards.

0 Likes

In games like RDR 2 here is the solution 

Card dose work the issue is game settings if your going to use this card you need to change the settings in demanding games like RDR2

Problem : System crash

Solution : Set graphics setting from Ultra to high and set it at DirectX12

Problem:

Intermittent fan noise :

Solution :

Step 1
- In AMD settings Go to Performance Click on Tuning ,

Step 2

-Set fan Tuning to Custom Under Fan Tunning

Step 3

Deactivate Zero RPM

I don't know why AMD doesn't post this as all the other solutions are a waste of time if some ones CPU PSU ect wasn't working properly they would know long before even installing a new GPU like give us some credit 

0 Likes