cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

fanziq
Adept I

artifacts accompanied with driver crashing+freezing, is my gpu dying?

Hello,
whenever in modern games I encounter artifacts like this:

nioh.jpg

ff xv.pngfiremark.jpg

+ the worst is the constant crashing/freezing. it goes like this
game freezes with black screen while audio gets stuck in mini loop
->crash to destop
->the error line - Display driver stopped responding and has been recovered
->Default wattman settings restored due to unexpected system failure
->with radeon settings stuck
It happens from 30 seconds of game to 30min at max. on average 10 minutes.

In FFXV its rather random but in first city Lestallum its unbearable to point where I can play maybe for 3minutes max, with 30  seconds being shortest time. I know that game is riddled with problems but seems my case is extreme.
Game runs at rather modest settings on fps capped at 30 in 1080p. same with games below (except on those I cap at 60fps)
Happens  really often in NIOH too and with less frequency in NFS Payback and Ori and Blind forest or other games.
Doesn't really happen in benchmarks but that maybe just because they ran short time.>

Now im running it on default with temps stable at 75C, I also tried more aggresive temp profile where temps were under 50C but it crashed same as on 75C.
Currently on 18.3.4 drivers, but tried 16.11.5,17.11.1,18.2.1,18.3.2 but it didnt made any big difference.

I Think I exhausted all the fixes I could find here and on the internet, did memtest, prime, tinkered with vBIOS switch, wattman fans, underclocking, voltage settings, tdr registry... only thing I cant do is try swap parts because I Dont have any.

So like the question stands can this be fixed with drivers or some sw change or is this HW fault that needs an RMA of card?

Specs:

• GPU:  AMD Saphire RX480 4GB NITRO+
  • Monitor: Dell SE2717H/HX HDMI cable 1920x1080 @60Hz
  • Motherboard: ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 (Bios: 2501)
  • CPU:  FX6350 + Wraith cooler
  • SSD:  Samsung 850 256GB
  • PSU:  EVGA G2 Supernova 750W
  • Ram:  16GB DDR3 Kingston hyperX
0 Likes
18 Replies