cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

weblume
Journeyman III

Anybody succesful getting HP Reverb Pro working with RX 5700

I only get a black screen on display when Windows Mixed Reality runs but sound and tracking work.  I have done a complete Win10 install as well as AMD drivers.

0 Likes
9 Replies
mmccord173
Journeyman III

I was disappointed with a black screen on HP Reverb as well.
It works fine with the main monitor, but recently I received my HP Reverb Pro - Windows Mixed Reality headset and ran into this issue.  
When I plug in the HP Reverb I get sound on the headset and evidence the head tracking is working on the main monitor in the WMR mirror, but the headset back-lighting does not turn on. At first I thought it may be the HP Reverb, I swapped out the 5700XT in my machine with the Nvidia 1060GTX it replaced and the HP Reverb works great on the nvidia. So the HP Reverb hardware and WMR install is ok.  I swapped back the 5700XT and tried replacing drivers trying versions 20.2.1 all the way back to 19.10.1 with no luck, at no point has the back-light turned on for the 5700XT, not even a flicker, I tried all 3 of the 5700XTs display ports.  The Reverb pro comes with a second shorter cable, I tried it, still nothing.

HP Reverb Pro .v2   - displayport and usb 3
Gigabyte 5700 XT GAMING OC 8GB - GV-R57XTGAMING OC-8GD 
Windows 1909 - Latest update
AMD 3700X 
ASRock 570 pro4 - Latest Bios 
32g 3200 DDR4 
750Watt PSU
0 Likes

I have a sapphire nitro 5700xt and found that the headset will connect via the USC c port. 

0 Likes
hexxi24
Journeyman III

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue. Though the small led in front of the headset has light on, but no picture in headset. I bought the Reverb Headset (not pro version) just on friday directly from HP Store (germany) and build the computer on saturday, so more clean install it can`t be. Tracking works fine, just the picture is missing from headset. I see the picture just on PC display.

I tried the headset with friends computer with gigabyte Gigabyte rtx 2070 and it works right away!

I also tried to install an another RX5700 XT card, but same issue, no picture (SAPPHIRE Pulse Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G GDDR6 HDMI/ Triple DP OC W/ BP (Uefi)

Ryzen 5 3600

powercolor radeon rx 5700 xt red devil

16gb DDR RAM Corsair Vengeance 3200

PSU Corsair RM650

Gigabyte B450 Aorus I pro wifi

0 Likes
weblume
Journeyman III

I have two tickets with AMD open but no reply.  I also had a ticket with HP Reverb and they were very responsive.  They followed up everyday for a week while addresses the issue.  HP was unable to help me getting it working and they reached out to their engineering group who responded it does not work because of the AMD driver.  Below was their response

That GPU doesn’t work with WMR yet.

It’s a driver issue and how AMD writes them.

AMD has updated their drivers to get WMR to work, but VR makes need to update the firmware in their HMD for the last part of the fix.

I had a 5 year old Quadra K5000 that was able to get the displays working but that card does not support the resolution.  I ended up buying a Nvidia RTX 2070S and it's unbelievable.  I use it for Sim racing and I can see the cracks in the road and a constant 90 refresh rate.  I don't know if the refresh can be higher the MHZ.

Hopefully AMD fixes the card because it is a good card.  I was extremely happy with it except for this problem.

0 Likes
methyl
Journeyman III

I have the exact same issue with the RX 5700 XT.
AMD please fix that asap!
Its a mess that your new cards are unable to handle VR.

0 Likes

No I was not able to get it working. I spent a week with HP support and their development team identified an issue with AMD drivers not working. Except for that issue it is a good GPU. Now it sits on a shelf and I replaced it with an Nvidia 2070S which was plug and play.

0 Likes
mmccord173
Journeyman III

I was able to get the displays to turn on after a firmware update from HP, apparently the AIB manufacture cards are doing something slightly different from the AMD made reference cards.

After getting the displays running I now notice the displays do not render full native resolution properly.

I'm not sure if this is WMR or the AMD driver.

Amazing the GTX 1060 was just  plug and play despite it lacking horsepower, resolution and scale were perfect with no issues.

This has been a hassle for the last 3 months, AMD/Gigabyte support has not been very helpful, the best they could offer was to 'try a different display port' - face palm.  HP support have been awesome but can only do so much since most of the issue is with AMD, Gigabyte and Microsoft.

My Journey:

1. Undervolt to get the AMD card itself stable, constant driver crashes, the black screen, and even the green screen, 20.2.2 seems to behave better now but crashes still occur, unwillingly tried windows reinstall which after the fact was not necessary :/

2. Update firmware for the HP due to the AMD driver doing something odd with non-reference AMD cards, thanks HP it worked!

3. .. and now I have the improper resolution / scaling for the HP Reverb WMR HMD, not rendering at the HP Reverb's native potential.

Progress, but night and day product experience with red vs. green.

reverb.jpg

4t0ztuscjfd41.jpg

0 Likes
gobdav
Journeyman III

Opened a ticket with AMD.

Same thing is happening on my new build.  Blank/black screen in the headset, WMR shows that it is on and tracking.

Installed my old Nvidia GTX760 and it seemed to at least turn the headset on, although it looked like the lenses weren't aligned or backwards.

Motherboard: X570 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700

GPU: Radeon Vii

VR: HP Reverb Pro

0 Likes

I had the same issue with and older Nvidiaa when I tested which is because that nVidia does not support the high resolution. I upgraded to an Nvidia 2070super and have a different problem where the display keeps going on and off. I just had a replacement sent and it has the same problem as the first two. I’m at a loss as to the cause and very frustrated having spent 3 months never getting this working as expected.

0 Likes