cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

epitaph23
Journeyman III

Any kind of Overlay causes monitor HZ to drop in-game.

I recently bought a new Vega 56 and there's a very weird issue that I have yet to solve. Whenever any kind of overlay comes up in-game, such as the Radeon overlay, Windows Volume(top left when you change volume), Steam overlay...you name it. The monitor will drop drasically in hertz, down to like 60 for a few second, then fix itself when the overlay is turned off. My actual fps in-game doesn't seem to change, just the monitor hertz. It also seems to only happen when in Freesync mode. Anyone ever heard of anything like this? I was on a GTX 1060 before the Vega 56 and didn't have this issue.

0 Likes
4 Replies
epitaph23
Journeyman III

I guess no one has ever seen or heard of this?

0 Likes

Could you disable AMD External Events Utility service and then restart PC and then try again? Also use the latest display driver and DDU in safe mode for AMD and nVidia.

0 Likes

I've done DDU several times and am on the latest AMD driver currently. What will disabling that service do exactly?

0 Likes

Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services > AMD External Events Utility > Right Click > Properties > Set Startup Type to Disable > Apply > Restart PC ...

0 Likes