Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

sinshiva
Adept II

Another 5600xt with driver issues

Freshly installed 4/4/2020, Win10pro 1909

i7 4790 (non-K) (with cryorig cooler, runs ice cold)

Gigabyte B85m

GSkill 16gb DDR3 @ 1600 (due to mobo lacking support for the 1866 profile)

Corsair 850TX PSU

Gigabyte 5600xt with new bios, 4/1 driver

Windows power settings on High Performance, Fastboot disabled.  Bare minimum applications running while playing Control.  Control randomly crashes to black screen of death after variable amounts of time.  Recently, it happened while opening a one of those in-game documents for some reason.

Another oddity;  the mmo game Forsaken World is missing a random 2D UI element, the avatar in the top left corner of the screen.  this game uses some old af C&C engine or something to that effect.  this immediately happened after replacing a gtx960 with the 5600xt and has persisted through a clean install of both windows and the game.

Other games that have crashed on me; BF4 (dx11, generally stable, though.  initially tried mantle which worked the first time, then would crash on boot.  later learned about it being 'dis-mantled'  so disabled it in the profile config), BF5 (both dx12 and dx11, but dx11 is infinitely more stable.)  RE3, which is hilarious, since this latest driver supposedly specifically added support for that game.  Chromium based Edge crashed the driver while trying to register for this forum lol.

Had this system for years blah blah gigabyte gtx960 never crashed once, _ever_, in the entirety of its lifespan blah blah ad nauseum.  I've beaten this system to death with prime95.  All RAM downclocking suggestions will be ignored with prejudice.

random bf4 errors and crashes below.  generally i don't even get to see errors when other games black-sod.  when chromium edge crashed the driver, the whole screen was just frozen.

I'm not here expecting to find answers, mostly just to add another system to what i am sure is a long list AMD needs to figure out driver compatibility issues.  I'll happily try new stuff, though.

1 Solution
sinshiva
Adept II

So.  I was wrong.  I ended up keeping the 5600xt after my head cooled off.  I actually went as far as initiating and then cancelling the RMA.  Did some further testing.  And finally began to suspect the PSU.  the PSU was 11 years old.  I replaced it with a new seasonic prime ultra platinum 550w.  With that new PSU, things immediately stabilized.  I did have to bump cpu voltage a bit for stable 3.6ghz under full load.  But, the really amazing bit of news is that i am now able to run the GPU at the maximum OC of 1820 and 1750 mem clocks, while undervolting to 0.93v!  i feel like i might even be able to go a bit lower, but i am more than happy with where it's at.  Definitely will be beating on it for the next week, but i suspect i wont need to tweak anything much

Long story short, old PSUs and lower quality PSUs simply do not cut it with this GPU.  Take a long hard look at your PSU if you are encountering consistent instability, no matter how many switches you flip and dials you turn.  Absolutely huge difference in stability with this card.

View solution in original post

22 Replies