Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

goodplay
MVP

Re: AMD Warranty does not support give aways

popcorn.PNG

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 7000s 2tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro..
0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

Okay one thing I would like to clarify about a previous reply I made in this thread.

I thought since the OP received a free GPU card that Warranty was voided because the winner wasn't the original Owner- this was incorrect.

I mentioned this before OP clarified and said it was actually a AMD Free Giveaway event.

According to the Moderator it is because of a AMD rule/Regulation that AMD free giveaways aren't covered by AMD Warranty.

0 Likes
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

I believe the quickest way to deal with this issue is to directly email the AMD staff member who provided you with the GPU.

ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Try sending me a Direct Message now,

cristi_trohin
Adept II

@elstaci AMD giveaway rules/whatever will NEVER be able to cancel out the rule of law. The moment a person owns (free or paid) a product of a certain company, the company is obligated by law to offer warranty for said product. Why? Because if that product catches fire, blows up and kills someone, the company is responsible for that product malfunction. Because if that product shorts out his system and fries the motherboard and CPU, the company is also responsible for that. You CANNOT give away products that lack conformity. As a company, you cannot simply "give" someone something. You issue an invoice with a 100% discount, in order to transfer the right of ownership to whomever you are "giving" the product to. Otherwise it's not a giveaway, it's a long term lease, in which case the company still has to issue paperwork documenting the lease. If the rules of said giveway waive the warranty, that IS ILLEGAL. Any exchange of product between a company and a third party(another company or a person) is an exchange of ownership, and the owner of a product is entitled to warranty, regardless of what some brain damaged marketing drone writes in the rules of a contest/giveaway.

0 Likes
elstaci
MVP

@cristi_trohin 

AMD is a Multi-billion International Corporation whose warranty is probably standard for the industry.

Do you really believe that AMD doesn't know the legal risks in whatever Warranty or Promotion or Customer related  activities are supported and that they have gone through with their Legal department to make sure everything is within the laws of the nation where they do business.

Where do you find out that if a company "waives" or voids  a Warranty is ILLEGAL?

Where does it mention that it is the Rule of Land to even offer a Warranty on a product?

From FTC.GOV concerning Warranties: https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law

Screenshot 2021-02-26 095008.png

In Europe, by Consumer law, the Retailer/Vendor must give a 2 year type Warranty for their European Customers but not in the USA. The Warranty Act is what covers Warranties in the USA from above law that I posted from the Federal Government.

From above article:

What the Magnuson-Moss Act Does Not Require

In order to understand how the Act affects you as a businessperson, it is important first to understand what the Act does not require.

First, the Act does not require any business to provide a written warranty. The Act allows businesses to determine whether to warrant their products in writing. However, once a business decides to offer a written warranty on a consumer product, it must comply with the Act.

Second, the Act does not apply to oral warranties. Only written warranties are covered.

Third, the Act does not apply to warranties on services. Only warranties on goods are covered. However, if your warranty covers both the parts provided for a repair and the workmanship in making that repair, the Act does apply to you.

Finally, the Act does not apply to warranties on products sold for resale or for commercial purposes. The Act covers only warranties on consumer products. This means that only warranties on tangible property normally used for personal, family, or household purposes are covered. (This includes property attached to or installed on real property.) Note that applicability of the Act to a particular product does not, however, depend upon how an individual buyer will use it.

The following section of this manual summarizes what the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act requires warrantors to do, what it prohibits them from doing, and how it affects warranty disputes.

So basically what you are saying is not correct.

0 Likes
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have already provided the OP an option on how to discuss this issue further, therefore I am locking this discussion.