Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Stationen
Journeyman III

AMD RX 7900 XT - Crashing while Gaming

Hello Everyone!

Is anyone else experiencing crashing issues while gaming with the AMD RX 7900 XT and if any, what has some of your solutions been?

I recently purchased AMD RX 7900 XT for a whole new build and are unfortunately experiencing constant crashing of any game 2-5 minutes into gameplay (MW 2, BF 2042, Dead by Daylight). I have attempted re-installing and updating drivers,  changing PSU power outlets, Lowering graphics settings (including shaders and texture), and other troubleshooting attempt recommended online. I don't think I have overheating issues as neither CPU or GPU exceed 75c in from the core.

One of the first issues I used to experience was the computer used to crash and completely restart until I set the CPU minimum power limit at 5%. Then the other issues at outlined above followed.

I use the following build:
GPU: AMD RX 7900 XT (Founders Edition)
CPU: Ryzen 5 7600x
Memory: OLOy Blade RGB 16GB DDR5 RAM 5600
Motherboard: MSI Pro 650M-A Wifi 5AM 
PSU: Corsair RMx 1,000W

I am reaching a point of just returning the card but don't want to give up just yet, any suggestions?

Some of the crashes gave me the following messages, but not always.Crash MW 2.jpgCrash BF 2042 .jpg

0 Likes
7 Replies
fsvlopes
Journeyman III

Same problem here, gpu undervolt was the solution, no more crash

0 Likes

@fsvlopes , I am glad it works for ya! I ofc decided to reinstall Windows and now MW2 won't even get past the steam loading screen...LOL, and BF2 still crashing on undervolt. Return it is.... What a disappointment!

0 Likes
bas8534
Adept II

Got similar issue's in btf5, extreme stuttering, and textures not loading, typical associated with overclocking the  GPU/memory. It is just short of calling crashed, But it is running stock speeds. Tried also automatic undervolted to no effect. Balanced profile nothing makes a difference. 

No clue what to do about it. Junction temperature stays below 81degrees, GPU hovers around 60. Got 7(!) case fans, 4 in, 3 out.
Really really disappointed in this piece of expensive crap
If anyone has suggestions, would love to hear.

0 Likes

Replying to myself, temporary workaround, run directx11 where possible. Not exactly why dumped 1000+ euro's.

Loading times are also massively shorter with directx 11. Constant Stuttering is still there though. Considering return and swap for the competitor, i am  simply am NOT willing to spent 100+ hours on debugging a brand new high end expensive mass produced card. And then to learn it is at the card/driver level (of which i am rather super convinced it is AMD's fault).

0 Likes

It is unfortunate you have a problem with that GPU. I have watched quite a few reviews and have not encountered reviewers having issues with this GPU+game combination, so maybe you are just unlucky.

In general, it is important to make sure old installations/drivers are not causing issues - a fresh Windows installation might be in order. Also making sure you have latest BIOS, chipset driver and other updates installed. I don't have that many issues with hardware usually, but I avoid installing software which affects hardware, but instead use BIOS to tune things if needed. I also tend to keep side panel of as that ensures plenty of cooling without excessive amount of case fans running and always use benchmarked, good quality power supplies. 

For a long time, the pretty much only issue I have had is video playback problems if hardware acceleration is enabled in browser.

0 Likes
Stationen
Journeyman III

Appears to be a shared problem, how unfortunate.... I returned the card and was told by the sales rep that they had plenty of AMD RX 7900 XT founders edition returns, what a bummer! Hopefully they get it fixed

0 Likes
bas8534
Adept II

Although work around,  vid about btf5 suggested to delete the directx shader cache via drive clean-up.  Did improve for me. Although this is something a driver should take care off.