cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Ebag725
Journeyman III

Amd rx 6600 xt fans not working

I have a amd rx 6600 xt . The fans were working perfect in the beginning  , then at some point the fans stop working . tested the fans through a volt charge and they spin but when the gpu is connected in pc they dont turn on at all , tried using adrenaline to turn off the 0 Rpm , fans still show 0 for Rpm 

10 Replies
ThunderBeaver
Miniboss

I had the same problem with an RX 580. Fan header on the GPU board had a missing pin.

So I went old school.

The power cord for the GPU cooler was too short to reach any MOBO fan header. So I did a little cut and splice of same gauge wires to lengthen its reach by about 10 inches.

Once connected to MOBO fan header I used my MSI Control Center to set GPU fan speed and it worked.

Doing this voided my warranty but 2 years later the card still works flawlessly.

I would check that connection on the GPU board and try bypassing it by connecting to a MOBO fan header and see if the fans work.

If the fans work you have a hardware fault on the GPU board. This falls under warranty and RMA for full refund or exchange.

When asked what you want an RMA for just tell them GPU fans failed and it creates a burning smell when I switch off 0 RPM. Don't let the RMA refund people screw you over. When it comes to dangerous hardware faults they can't refuse refund.  

0 Likes

All my other GPU cards i had before were always spinning no matter what but they also were weak compared to what i have now just wondering if its okay if my GPU fans don't spin when i don't do anything on pc or sometimes when i play some games and my gpu usage is like 20% they don't spin as well but when it gets more usage they start to spin so I'm wondering if its intended?

0 Likes

A lot of people don't understand how to properly install MSI Afterburner.

It is better optimized for Invidia and Intel based builds though.

When installing MSI Afterburner it will default setup for Intel and Invidia.

During the install process pay close attention to the install window and select custom install.

There is or was (I don't know if the function still exists) a hidden option to install for AMD CPU and AMD GPU configurations.

Though for the last 2 years I've seen and read multiple reports of MSI Afterburner causing severe problems for AMD users.

This could be a result of people not taking the time to properly research how to install system specific software for their builds. 

Then MSI Afterburner may have changed it's software to be more optimized for India and Intel builds.

I tried MSI Afterburner 5 years ago and it worked better than Adrenaline. 3 years ago I found it was causing my GPU to push past custom set FPS limits I had set so I uninstalled it and went back to Adrenaline. 

I tried MSI Afterburner about 4 months ago when I got my RX 6900 XT Power Color Demon. My PC worked fine for an hour then blue screened did a physical memory dump and restarted in windows automatic repair mode. 

I could not uninstall MSI Afterburner from windows Apps in settings. I had to go directly to the local files and uninstall from there.

The messed up thing was while uninstalling MSI Afterburner my AV detected a rootkit that Afterburner was trying to install while downloading an update in the background. 

Got rid of MSI Afterburner and the rootkit. Never using that software again. 

Spoke with MSI about it and was informed that the third party contractor (2 of it's programmers) handling Afterburner had gotten caught trying to piggyback rootkits on the updates to steal people's personal info. MSI even gave me a case number and code for the next MSI MOBO I buy I get 30% off.  

So in my book MSI is still a good company that will own their mistakes or mistakes of their contractors.

You can't say that about most companies today.

Honestly I never let my GPU software control my fan speed. Always manual control at 50% minimum up to 80% max. I only go 90% or above when the brutal Texas summer roles around.

0 Likes
rh1nocz
Adept I

First, i would check if its intentional. Zero rpm is a feature, you can disable it or set your own fan curve in Amd softvare under Performance tab. You can also force max rpm there. Uninstal any OC utilities like afternurner ets.. Its only interfering with new amd drivers. Run benchmark or gpu heavy game and then check your temteratures and fan speed. 

fadirocks
Journeyman III

I'm not sure if the fan ever worked as I usually play older games and now after almost 2 years when I started playing Tomb Raider, I was having shutdowns and found out fans are not running hitting 90C FML

I contacted Sapphire, hopefully I get a decent response

0 Likes
zain1
Journeyman III

@Ebag725 i am facing the same issue i have asus rog rx 6600xt. Once i power on my pc my gpu fans is spining with giving me a display at on my monitor and then after 10 sec my gpu fans is not spinning but display is working properly and my gpu temps is at 43 to 45 degrees. i dont know why this is happening

0 Likes
pegasis
Journeyman III

is this normal?  no fans?

how can I reset this to run? i am running linux

0 Likes
ramiguop
Journeyman III

The quest for the best 4k 240Hz gaming monitor leads us to a world of breathtaking visuals and unparalleled responsiveness. These monitors are designed to deliver the ultimate gaming experience, where every frame comes to life in stunning 4K resolution while maintaining the silky-smooth motion with a 240Hz refresh rate.

0 Likes
ramiguop
Journeyman III

The phenomenon of  GPU fans not spinning is a testament to efficient thermal management. Graphics cards nowadays incorporate intelligent fan control mechanisms. When the GPU temperature is low, the fans remain still, creating a quieter environment. Only when gaming or engaging in demanding tasks do they rev up to maintain optimal temperatures.

0 Likes
JackBenjamin
Journeyman III

My AMD RX 6600 XT was working flawlessly, but suddenly, the fans have completely stopped working. I've gone through the usual troubleshooting steps, including updating my drivers through the AMD Adrenalin software and adjusting the fan curve settings. Strangely, even after turning off the 0 RPM mode in Adrenalin, the fans still refuse to spin. I've tested the fans independently, and they work fine, but when the GPU is connected to the PC, they remain dormant. 

0 Likes