Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

virusm
Newcomer

AMD RX 570 Red Devil 4GB DDR5 Black screen at 70 degrees

Hi,

I stumbled on this problem a week ago, i checked everything, i even changed the convertors and cables for it. When i open a game it just black screens sometimes not even at 70 degrees just pure black screen from the start. I did a stress test to find out and at 72 degrees black screened me, then i decided to up the power limit to 50 and to get the fans at 100% and it worked wonders, it reached 70 degrees but it was still running. I use a VGA-DVI D convertor and my psu is ATX 600W 20A which should be more then enough for the card. Anything can be useful at this point, beginning to be desperate.

0 Likes
17 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Annotation 2019-10-09 043624.png
This image was taken from a different website and gives OC percentage for your GPU.
Your graphics card is OC version. Therefore, you should try standard core speeds.
Standard core clock speeds of your GPU are as follows... 300 MHz, 588 MHz, 952 MHz, 1041 MHz, 1106 MHz, 1168 MHz, 1209 MHz, 1244 MHz
You should try to apply these core clock values with WattMan.

0 Likes

It's not an OC problem here, i tried underclocking it and giving it less and more power and the result was the same. Sometimes i can't even reach the lobby screen of a game because it black screens on the loading screen.

0 Likes

When you set power limit to +50%, GPU core power increases and TDP increases. And if the PSU is not good quality, GPU stabilization is reduced, 12V drops. So try to underclock without changing power of the GPU. Because this error is probably caused by WattMan.

0 Likes

I did lower the voltage from 900 to 800 and put everything that you told me on Memory clock settings, i only have 7 slots that i can write in the first one is locked to "N/A". I'll give it a try like this too see if the problem still occurs.

Edit: It's till happening, i can get into a game now, but when it starts it blackscreenes

0 Likes

Do not modify graphics memory values. Do not change the power. Just change core clock speeds. Reset WattMan before applying the change. I think this may solve the problem.

0 Likes

These are the setting that i made, i reached 75 with it, no black screen so far, if you have any tips of improving them, please do tell, i have no idea what i'm doing there but it works. The first one is with the new settings and the second one is with the default settings.1.PNG2.PNG

0 Likes

Voltage is low. 1000mV is very low. 1100-1150mV is ideal for the Polaris GPU. Never change memory or power. Because GPU may die over time.

0 Likes

Well, it got through the stress test but not the games, i'm still getting black screens. I think a better psu is a better idea then undervolting the card.

0 Likes

PSU change may be unnecessary. Follow this way.
Run Radeon Settings > Gaming > Global Settings > Global WattMan > Reset
Then click Frequency (%) and make this value to Frequency (Mhz).
And then enter these values to Frequency (Mhz).
588 MHz, 952 MHz, 1041 MHz, 1106 MHz, 1168 MHz, 1209 MHz, 1244 MHz
Do not make any other changes.
If the PSU is not enough, you will get an error in a different way. For example, the screen goes completely black.

0 Likes

Thank you! So far it works wonders.

virusm
Newcomer

After a windows reinstall, i've added the same settings. The problem still occurs. Any suggestions before i begin hammering it?

0 Likes

There may be two reasons for the problem you are having. First, the low core voltage. The second is the high core frequency. Apply 1244Mhz 1150mV values with WattMan. The problem will likely disappear.

0 Likes

I underclocked it and undervoltaged it with -20% and -10 and it works fine for now, but low performance. I heard it could be a driver issue.

0 Likes

It already is on 1150mV when i have it at 1244Mhz

0 Likes

If lowering the GPU core power increases stabilization, your PSU may be inadequate. So, the cause of the problem you are experiencing may not be the driver. AMD GPUs do not determine the core voltage relative to the PSU.

0 Likes

Well, that was working for a day, tried a better psu, and it seemed like the psu wasn't an issue, before i reinstalled my windows, everything was working well with and without your given settings, sometimes i left it as stock with 1320Mhz and it worked fine. I've began thinking it is a driver issue, because i read on many other sites saying that windows interferes with the gpu driver somehow. I've put it underload by watching 4k videos and it was stable, only when playing games it black screens. The temperatures are stable somehow. Tried both +50 and -50 Power but none seem to work. If you have any more ideas about what it could be, that would be great, i've ran out of options.

0 Likes

I'm not only using AMD. But I used it similar to your system. AMD GPUs override the values written on paper for PSU, and in general all GPUs experience performance issue, ie frame drop problems with Chrome. I can only suggest that... Do not use MSI AfterBurner and do not use GPU hardware acceleration. Do not run Chrome in the background while playing games. And reset WattMan settings, don't change any WattMan settings or don’t increase the GPU power, or use standard clock values.

0 Likes