cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

perrymiau
Journeyman III

AMD Relive quality is bad (screen record)

Hi guys,

Please check the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xnxULK6zks

Around second 10 you will observe that the image is stuttering for about 1 second. It`s like the video quality drops from 1080p to 360p. This behavior appears to appear at least once in a 10 second interval, sometimes more often (a few times inside a 10 second interval).

My PC setup is:

AMD Ryzen 3600X

MSI x570 Gaming Plus

16GB RAM 3200 MHZ CORSAIR

AMD Radeon RX 5700xt 50th anniversary

Cooler Silentium Spartan3 RGB

SSD Kingston A2000 1TB

Seasonic 650W PowerSource

The game I am playing is World of Warcraft - everything setup on ultra.

I checked the performance tab on the AMD software and during play + screen record i get the following loads:

GPU:

utilization - usually stays between 30% and 50% (very rarely jumps to 60%) the temperature is usualy at around 40C as i have a good airflow provided by 3 ventilators. The PC case is pretty large and prevents PC heat-up.

This behavior appears anytime i record my screen. It doesn`t matter if i just opened my pc or I have been playing for hours. I tried in CS GO the stutter isn`t that bad but the quality is not the same to what i am seeing inside the game.

Other details:

- I am using only 1 monitor

- The monitor was setup to 59Hz, moved it to 60Hz after a google search - same issue (monitor is viewsonig VA2231 seeries)

- I tried lowering/increasing the screen resolution and video bit rate in the AMD software - same issue at any change

- I lowered mouse Polling Rate (google search sugestion) from 500HZ to the minimum of 125HZ

- All the drivers are up to date

- Using Windows 10 and the computer is brand new (assembled about 2 weeks ago) and i am not experiencing any issues with it besides the screen recording explained in this topic.

Attached you will find pictures with my settings.

I spent hours on google searches in order to troubleshoot this issue but nothing seems to work. Please help!

0 Likes
6 Replies
alseu
Challenger

Hello

" but the quality is not the same to what i am seeing inside the game".
This is normal due to compression process your video goes through during the upload to any hosting service.   
   However your case still looks like you were streaming while having unstable network connection to the hosting service and not just uploading recorded files. What is happening on your videos can't be defined as "stuttering" since the playback is smooth and has no skipped frames but it does indeed look like your record suffers significant periodic bitrate drops which is not supposed to happen. 30mbit/s AVC 1080p video should look cleaner overall even compresed by youtube.

Do your recorded files have similar periodic quality drops before being uploaded? Please check with other from WoW applications/games too.
If yes then i would suggest a clean install of the latest AMD display driver using Display Driver Uninstaller and "Factory reset" afterwards, install the chipset driver (x570) prior to that (if you haven't done it before). 
What is the active connection interface for your NVME drive? Have you run any benchmarks (ex. CrystalDiskMark) measuring random write speed?

0 Likes

Hey m8, thanks for the reply! To answer your questions:

- I have the same quality drops in the original video before youtube upload - the quality is pretty much the same to what you see on youtube. I can upload the file to a fileshare somewhere if you want.

- Indeed it is more of a periodic bitrate drop like you mentioned. However i have tried OBS studio and there the quality is a bit better but still periodic bitrate drop is there and also for OBS studio i also have stuttering.

Haven`t done this: If yes then i would suggest a clean install of the latest AMD display driver using Display Driver Uninstaller and "Factory reset" afterwards, install the chipset driver (x570) prior to that (if you haven't done it before).  "

M2. form factor SSD and i am using the M2 connector in the motherboard: "What is the active connection interface for your NVME drive?" 

Haven`t run any benchmarks measurements but I will try to follow your advice and come back with an answer.

0 Likes

Do you have any progress?
"However i have tried OBS studio and there the quality is a bit better but still periodic bitrate drop is there and also for OBS studio i also have stuttering"
Software or hardware encoding method was used in OBS studio?
I tried to reproduce the bug you have on the similar system (3600, 5700xt ref), recording using your settings while providing variable load on the gpu (very low-medium-max) during gaming in dx11 application, variable load was simulated with limiting framerate by RTSS or Chill creating effectively the gpu or cpu limited scenario. There was a new recording process each time for different gpu load level, media save location was the same sata SSD (without dram buffer) from which the game was running. One of the multiple recorded files had no sound which is a different sort of bug with relive, but i couldn't replicate your problem.

0 Likes
perrymiau
Journeyman III

Hi,

Uninstalled driver

Did complete reinstall with latest driver from amd site - at this time win10-radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-edition-20.4.1-apr2

Checked factory reset option during reinstall

first tests seem ok - that quality loss does still appear but it seems like it`s more rare now and also i think it has to do with the area i am playing in

in the video you will see that the area is rich in details and lots of ground clutter + the lighting is a bit odd and not sure if the green has anything to do with all of it

AMD screen record quality issues after fix - YouTube 

i tried screen record in other area and it seemed a lot better at list in short videos.

Will test more later this week and give update in other games as well.

Also another issue that i was having

in one month since i got the pc

about 3 random black screens (one time in a dota2 game during a fight  ) unpluging hdmi and putting it back in fixed it.

Also 2 times i got complete display loss immediately after startup with some strange static on the monitor. again unpluging the hdmi and back in fixed it.

0 Likes

hello bro, have you done ur problems,??

i think i got same issues here

such as stuttering video in every 10 seconds when recording (it plays smoothly when i play the games), and sometimes i got random blank screen.

this is my setup:

My PC setup is:

AMD Ryzen 3600X

MSI b450m m2 

16GB RAM 3200 MHZ klevv

RX Vega 56 red devil power color

ADATA 128 gb ssd nvme

1tb hdd seagate

be quiet u9 600watt

i also have tried to record with obs. yes the problem getting decrease but still i can notice the stutters

0 Likes
perrymiau
Journeyman III

Hey mate,

I managed to fix my issues by doing a complete windows reinstall + factory reset on graphics card.

When you install the drivers from AMD you should have the factory reset options somewhere.

Also, inside the AMD console i turned up the fans almost to max for every game. Make sure you start the games from there otherwise it will have no effect ( so i`ve seen written somewhere)

I still have some issues though:

• the stutter, or video loss quality only happens at the beginning of each record session (first 20 seconds)
  • sometimes on system power-up i get a complete display loss with a lot of static on the display - if i remove the hdmi cable from the graphics card and put it back in it works - i would say 1 in 7 power-up
  • sometimes i get random black screens and the fix is the same as above (take out cable and plug back in) - it`s pretty annoying when it happens in game like dota2 - you will most likely die

hope it helps.

Regards,

Alex

0 Likes