cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

kautryii
Adept I

AMD Radeon VII blank screen after BIOS...previous AMD Radeon 9 200 series works fine.

Here are my specs:

Graphics Card Manufacturer - Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset - AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Device ID - 6810
Vendor ID - 1002
SubSystem ID - 9275
SubSystem Vendor ID - 1682
Revision ID - 00
Bus Type - PCI Express 3.0
Current Bus Settings - PCI Express 2.0 x16
BIOS Version - 015.041.000.000
BIOS Part Number - 113-270XCDF-22-W8
BIOS Date - 2014/01/15 02:59
Memory Size - 2048 MB
Memory Type - GDDR5
Memory Clock - 1400 MHz
Core Clock - 1050 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth - 179 GByte/s
Memory Bit Rate - 5.60 Gbps
2D Driver File Path - /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control/Class/{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}/0000
OpenGL® API Version - 4.6
OpenCL™ API Version - 1.2

After installing the AMD Radeon VII GPU I get a blank screen after BIOS has finished loading.  My current setup works fine without AMD Radeon VII GPU. 

0 Likes
13 Replies

Some more INFORMATION REQUIRED WHEN POSTING A QUESTION might be helpful,

And use GPU-Z 'Lookup' to find exact make/model of the r9 200 series.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
ryeloc
Adept II

I had a similar issue when I got my Radeon VII. The PC was running but the monitor would go to sleep like the PC wasn't on. It would do this after bios when Windows was loaded. I could unplug the Display Port cable and plug it back in to fix it. Have you tried unplugging the cable and plugging it back in, if so does it resolve the issue?

Have to order a Display Port to cord...only using HDMI right now.   The Display Port might be the fix.  

0 Likes
kautryii
Adept I

So I’ve purchased a Display Port to HDMI cord and the results are the same.  The screen is lit but blank and BIOS loads.

0 Likes

Are you actually getting the BIOS screen after post? Can you tell if Windows is actually loading or not? In my example, I knew Windows was loading because my Corsair softwa ireCUE was changing my fan colors as I designated after it booted. (Even though I had no screen to see). I could also access the BIOS without any issues.

If you're not getting BIOS at all, try to clear the CMOS. 

If you're getting the BIOS try and load the OS w/ the old graphics card. Once up and running go in and use DDU Uninstaller and choose to shutdown the computer to make sure all drivers are all removed.

Can you post your complete system specs, all hardware and software versions as well.

The BIOS is accessible but no I can’t tell if Windows is loading.  I would assume that it is loading since it loads normally when I use my older GPU.

I’ll try to do the DDL uninstaller.  

0 Likes
bengel
Journeyman III

I am having the same issue. I have an Asus P6x58D Premium motherboard. It is old but it has been faithful. It is an LGA1366 board. My previous video card is a Vega 64. I have already RMA'd and received a new Radeon VII and I have the same problem. I have the same issue in another computer with an Asus P6T SE motherboard but it is also LGA 1366. I have DDU'd. I have cleared CMOS. I have booted with a Windows 10 installation USB. I have booted with Ubuntu USB. All yield the same results. I see the POST screen and then it goes black.

If I boot with both the Vega 64 and the Radeon VII, it seems to work, at least I can get video out of the Radeon VII. My previous card would crash pretty quickly when playing games but it is hard to tell if that may be caused by having too little power or too much heat etc. My power supply is a Corsair AX860. I have also tried multiple sets of 8 pin power cables.

I have determined that my  Windows 10 install is not loading because I am not able to ping the network interface from other computers on my network. I read that there was an issue with UEFI, but these are legacy BIOSs. I flashed the new V106 vbios at https://www.amd.com/en/support/radeonvii-vbios-eula , since it seems to not address my problem specifically, I didn't expect it to help. The new bios did not help.

I have used multiple HDMI and DisplayPort cables. All are pretty high quality cables. I am using an LG 27UD58 4k monitor.

I see a similar issue here with an older Core 2 DUO LGA 775 system https://community.amd.com/message/2899311

Is the Radeon VII is simply not compatible with these older BIOSs?

If so, was it ever working on any computers when it was not working with UEFI?

Do I need to get a new motherboard, CPU, and ram in order to use my Radeon VII?

Thanks for any insight

0 Likes

So long story short, I've replaced the motherboard, and everything works fine now.  I think my old motherboard simply couldn't handle the video card. In regards to your questions, I didn't do enough back testing to route out the exact issue with the old motherboard.  It could have been a BIOS issue.  I tried running in Safe Mode with the old motherboard and still same issue so my best guess is the motherboard on my old setup couldn't do the job.

0 Likes
calamari
Adept I

I've had the same issue with my ASUS Rampage III Formula - I7 980 LGA 1366

Replaced NVidia 970 with new Radeon VI

System will post, able to get in to the BIOS and make changes but after system completes posting the screen goes blank and nothing else happens.  Moved to secondary slot, same issue...

Has anyone gotten the Radeon VII working on a X58 platform?

0 Likes
calamari
Adept I

Partial Solution Found:

I mailed XFS with this issue and got the typical first line troubleshooting answer even after linking them to this thread - typical... sigh..

So here's the process I went through with my Asus X58 Rampage III Formula eventually booting to windows with my Radeon VII:

Replaced NVidia GTX 970 with AMD Radeon 7 after uninstall of NVidia drivers - System hangs after final full BIOS messages

Many hours later of trying many different things such as moving card into second X16 slot / reconnected PCIe power

Researched online: Turns out this card doesn't seem to support legacy BIOS mode (only UEFI) mode - which is a problem for my ole x58 based Asus Rampage III Formula which doesn't have a EUFI option...

Managed to boot system only with both cards in the system

Installed AMD drivers - video card worked - rebooted - connected monitor to Radeon VII

Radeon VII would not display anything until after Windows Login (entered password blind)

System displayed normal windows desktop but new windows would open off-screen

Reconnected monitor to old card - no signal

Reconnected monitor to Radeon VII - display of desktop with missing windows (Device manager and notepad but would not allow any clicks on app until alt tab and key press)

Disabled old card in device manager (system installed NVidia drivers automatically)

Rebooting no post or bios screen displayed (probably displayed on 970) but Radeon VII now displays login screen correctly after boot

Logged in and successfully tested system with new card!

So the solution is to have another card (I expect anything will do) to let the system boot with non-uefi bios

Best of luck!

"Turns out this card doesn't seem to support legacy BIOS mode (only UEFI) mode "

Actually when the Radeon VII shipped the opposite was true.  It only supported CSM mode on booting and does not support UEFI only without a firmware update.

AMD fixes Radeon VII UEFI gaffe with firmware update | bit-tech.net 

0 Likes
lambduh
Adept I

I have the same issue with an asus rampage ii Gene x58 motherboard and the RX 5700xt.  Glad you were able to find a work around that all these top level engineers refuse to waste their time on.

AMD, there should be a fix from you for this.  Tons of people do not want to give up their x58 motherboards.  They were that good over 10 years ago and still is.

PS I just bought a Ryzen 9 system, but this issue makes me want to go back to intel.  Geforce 2080 works fine with the Rampage ii Gene x58 motherboard by asus.

0 Likes

I just bought a GeForce 8400 and confirmed you need the old card to boot.  Installed the 5700xt along with this card.  Installed both drivers in windows then unplugged the display from the Geforce 8400, plug monitor into 5700xt, and you just have to wait until windows boots to the login screen.   You can see login screen in windows.  Enter password and your good to go.

PS.

5700xt runs way too hot before fan kicks in.  Change the fan profile immediately if system does not have adequate cooling.

0 Likes