Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

NetrunnerMalkav
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon (TM) R7 M360 - shipped in a HP Pavilion - 17-g050nl

Hello,

I have a problem with this laptop: HP Pavilion - 17-g050nl

I tried linux, I tried windows 10, the AMD Radeon (TM) R7 M360 is not working.

So I am asking to you experts, is it part of the motherboard or can I buy it separately and replace the non working one?

Do you have any photo of a AMD Radeon (TM) R7 M360 that could help me understand how to replace it?

Knowing where to buy it would be nice.

Kindest Regards.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Have you run HP Diagnostics to see if it finds the GPU defective?

Do you have a AMD or Intel APU Processor?

If AMD you must install the AMD APU Driver which will install both the Integrated and GPU card in your laptop. I would use HP AMD Driver since it is 100% compatible.

Did you upgrade the original Windows  OS to Windows 10?

From HP Support concerning HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g050nl Manuals & Documentations: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-17-g000-notebook-pc-series/7771368/model/8636984/ma...

Looking at one of the Service Manuals it seems like the GPU is built into the Motherboard (Soldered) . So most likely you will need to replace the motherboard if the Discrete GPU is defective.

HP Support Laptop Drivers: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-17-g000-notebook-pc-series/7771368/mode...

Screenshot 2021-09-19 095117.png

Make sure you have the latest BIOS version installed and then using DDU with the internet disconnected and deleting AMD Installation folder at C:\AMD download and install the HP AMD Driver for your laptop and see if your GPU card now starts working or not.

Make sure Windows is fully updated via Windows Update.

Run HP Diagnostics software from your laptop and from HP Online Diagnostics from here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/help/diagnostics?category=computing

Your Laptop's APU Processor is considered to be legacy with no more AMD Support nor Driver updates. So depending on which AMD APU processor you have installed will determine how old your AMD driver will be for both the Integrated and Discrete GPUs.

EDIT: How do you know your GPU Card is defective?

0 Likes

I found out that my video card was defective in windows running dxdiag and checking device manager.

On linux I found out it was defective, because I had to launch linux with nomodeset at boot or else I would have gotten a black screen.

Following the steps you suggested, I always get the windows 10 blue screen of death during the video driver installation (I guess the system crashes when tries to turn on the video card).

FUN FACT: when I run hp diagnostics it says EVERYTHING is fine.

Can that kind of video card be replaced buying it from amd?

0 Likes

Not sure but I believe that GPU is soldered to the Laptop motherboard. Thus  you will need to replace the laptop Motherboard.

It will cost you more to replace the GPU then the laptop is worth from Labor & Parts expenses.

0 Likes