cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

AMD Radeon RX 6700 issues

so my computer as a whole is barely 4 months old and i don't know what more to do to try and fix this issue. i've literally had toasters with better and more consistent graphics. can anyone help me?

low frames.png

66 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

I'm assuming your concern is the low framerate you are seeing in your game, rather than any known hardware issues like overheating or stuttering.  What CPU are you using and is it set in Windows to used the 'balanced' or 'best performance' mode?  Are you using the latest AMD drivers (currently Adrenalin 22.6.1)?

Tell us more about your system.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".

yes, my framerate is super low or when it isn't always low, will drop to like 1 from 240 as soon as a fight starts. My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 7 Pro 3700 8-core. GPU has the most current updates released on the AMD software aplication.

.CPU.pngGPU.png

Try installing the Adrenalin software again.  Go with the default settings to start with, leaving Super Resolution off for now.  What are your temperatures of the CPU and GPU?  Could it be that your CPU is throttling down due to overheating?

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

i set it to the gaming graphics, but i didn't think that was too much for this set up. i've reinstalled the software a few times before and reinstalled. if you think it is worth doing again, i'm happy to do so.

Current settingsCurrent settingstemp for both CPU & GPUtemp for both CPU & GPU

0 Likes

Your PCIe bus is currently set to 3.0, but your video card is capable of PCIe 4.0.  I suggest you go into your motherboard's BIOS and change the PCIe bus to 4.0 and give that a try.

I'm assuming here that you have your video card plugged directly into the motherboard, not into a PCIe extender cable.  If that were the case, you would need to make sure you are using a PCIe 4.0 extender cable.  

0 Likes

20220717_144216.jpg

Not sure how to do that. I'm in the bios and it has a search function. This is what I see when I search PCIE.

0 Likes

so i don't think my motherboard supports PCI 4. i linked it below.

ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II AMD AM4 (Ryzen 5000, 3rd Gen Ryzen ATX Gaming Motherboard (8+4 Power Stages, HDMI 2.0b/DP,2 x PCIe 3.0 x16, USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C, BIOS Flashback, 256Mb BIOS Flash ROM 

0 Likes

There are new chipset driver available, try them..

B450 Drivers & Support | AMD

Also try running Adrenalin.

22.3.1 : B450 Drivers & Support | AMD

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

I tried the driver update, I tried a clean install of graphics drivers, I turned off gaming mode on windows. Not sure what more to do. 

0 Likes

Your correct with your assumption.

The B450 does not support PCIE 4.0.

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"
0 Likes

so is my motherboard and graphics card just not compatible? 

0 Likes

You can use that card it will just run at pcie 3 instead of 4..

You will get a performance drop though..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes

in the meantime, is there anything i can do about it stuttering?

0 Likes

I personally have stayed on Adrenalin 22.3.1 as I have had zero problems with it..

Have you got any software running ie: Sapphire trixx, Asus GPU tweak or similar, I had the Asus one and got stuttering..

Removed it and no stuttering..

no, he won't lose performance with a 6700xt on pcie 3.0 x16

please be more careful when offering advice that may cause people to waste both time and money shooting at something that isn't trouble 

Gonna pointing this topic out for everlasting adepts of "PCIe 3.0 x8 is enough for the most modern games" (greetings to RX 6600 GPU series that makes people to completely upgrade their rigs before the time).

0 Likes
Nixfox
Adept I

Such a low fps have nothing to do with PCIe 3.0. Your card is more than capable for much higher fps regardless. 

I suggest you to remove the drivers with DDU and then choose driver only during next installation. If the problem goes away then you know it's the adrenalin software and settings causing problems. If the problem persist, you need to look elsewhere.

Install the latest recommended driver.

Have you checked for corrupt system files?

i did a clean reinstall after deleting the files in safe mode

0 Likes

Try turning freesync off and report back the framerates (max/min/avg) you get.

0 Likes

I tried the driver only. Happens less, but still happens 

0 Likes

to turn off freesync, do i need to redownload the application that manages the graphics? i'm on driver only based on a previous recommendation

0 Likes
JohnSonandrla
Journeyman III

rx 6700xt driver issues whenever I update to a newer version of radeon my games will crash even league of legends will go to a fully gray screen and I will have to restart pc only think that fixes it is going back to the stable version of radeon which for me is ver. 21.10.2

0 Likes

i currently don't have the software to control the different features of the graphics card. should i re-download it to turn off freesync or can i do that on driver only?

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

Switch it off on your monitor..

0 Likes

I've had issues as soon as I installed the card 6700XT XFX qick 319 with default window drivers and updated April drivers.

It kept disconnecting USB devices and giving stuck input. I upgraded from a VEGA56 and most diver issues have been fixed since December.

I like AMD but this card is really pissing me off.

Another easy thing to try is to put the video card in the other PCIe slot and see how it performs there.  Don't give up on it.  Consider this a challenge that you'll be proud of solving a few weeks down the road.

0 Likes

so are you saying that my brand new motherboard is the issue? nothing that has been said is helping me resolve this.

0 Likes

Have you managed to fix a USB stuck input issue with RX 6700 XT?
I am still trying to find a solution...

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

Did you buy the card new or second hand?

0 Likes

everything was new

0 Likes

<deleted post, info was wrong>

0 Likes
lexxps2711
Journeyman III

As far as I know, League is heavily CPU bound, so low fps will probably come from your CPU. Anyways you can try removing GPU drivers with DDU and reinstall 22.7.1.

Also you could try to remove GPU driver and Chipset drivers. I have read somewhere that you should install chipset drivers first, reboot, then install display drivers, reboot. Not 100% sure about these steps since I don't run an AMD CPU...

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

Personally I would use 22.5.1 or 22.3.1 as these are recommended and 22.7.1 is optional..

0 Likes

Hi,

after revisiting the OP posts I'll repost what I was originally going to suggest, I only removed it because the thread topic indicated a 6700, but the Adrenalin drivers show a 6700XT.

So, after I had some initial issues with my MSI 6700XT and MSI rep on their message forums requested I do the following

1. As others above have advised ,use Adrenalin 22.5.1  which is the last "recommended" driver from AMD.
2. If your PSU allows for it, ensure the two 8 pin power cables from the PSU are seperate and not of the type where two 8 pin connectors come off the one cable. He was quite insistent of this due to some PSUs not being able to properly supply the correct current the 6700XT requires under certain loads. 

In my case I had used a split 8 pin power cable, so I connected two separate 8 pin cables and my 6700XT and it has been rock solid since. I was surprised by this as the PSU is a  modular 1200W Corsair, just goes to show I suppose, you think you know everything

Anyway it may be worth looking at on your setup. 

Best of luck

Craig 

BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

Thanks for sharing that bit of information.  Some power supplies (PSUs) are designed with separate 'rails' or traces / pathways for the same voltage - usually meaning 12V because this is the one that can be loaded down more than the 3.3V or 5V rails.  When there are greater current requirements for one voltage (say 12V being used by the CPU and GPU), splitting the load among two rails will reduce the current in each rail and that's generally a safer design.  If you use a split power connector to your graphics card, where the cable plugs are really coming from just one 12V rail, you could be drawing a lot of current on just that rail and you might get close or even exceed the various power supply safety circuits (short circuit protection, overpower protection, overcurrent protection and overtemperature protection).  If your PSU has multiple 12V rails, I would recommend that you use use separate connectors from multiple rails if possible.  In the very least, with a multiple 12V rail PSU, I would ensure that the CPU is on a separate rail from the GPU.  Here is a good reference.

could you explain this a bit more. is this PSU thing based on something from the motherboard or the power supply? i want to look into this possible solution a little more.

0 Likes
Mikko91
Adept III

problem is that ur card runing only x8 speed pcie 3.0 u need to rise pci-e speed x8 to x16

and if u use 2x m2 ssds b450 board it can cause drop ur pcie speed x8