Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

captainstony
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, random no monitor signal

Hi all!

I am having this weird issue, it started a week ago.

Randomly the signal to my monitors cuts out, and I have to do a hard restart (using the reset button in my case does not help, I have to hold down the power button). When the signal cuts out there is first a green line or flash and then I get the no signal from my monitor.

I don't know if this is related but, sometimes when I start my pc the screen freezes on the login screen (It's not a problem with my mouse or keyboard because the time on the screen does not update). 

I bought my pc at caseking, which means I didn't assemble the pc - they did. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

What I tried / additional info:

- Reinstall drivers using DDU (I reinstalled the amd software adrenalin).

- This is a relatively clean install of windows (1-2 months old).

- When using FurMark GPU stress test, the black screen does not happen.

- dxdiag does not show any errors (I can post the output if asked).

- I do not have any overclock software installed.

- The crash mostly happens when I'm gaming (It crashed while playing CS:GO and MTG: Arena), but this could be a coincidence.

- Both of my monitors are basic 60HZ monitors and are connected with hdmi.

PC specs:

Mainboard: Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming, AMD X470 Mainboard

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3,6 GHz (Matisse)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock CPU-Kühler - 120mm

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX schwarz, Ryzen, DDR4-2400, CL16 - 16 GB

Graphics Card: ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G, 8192 MB GDDR6

Power Supply: be quiet! Straight Power 11 Netzteil, 80 PLUS Gold, modular - 750 Watt

64 Replies
bubuhhps
Journeyman III

Same Issue as yours. I've also tried to run AIDA64 for a Stress test on both CPU and GPU, but it turned out to be fine, Except for the unstable GPU usage, which bumps frequently from 1X% to 100%.

What's more, sometimes the system will hang (or just the screen freezes, I can't work out with it) on the login screen while using dual screen.

PC specs:

Mainboard: ASUS ROG X570-F Gaming, AMD X570 Mainboard

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3,6 GHz (Matisse)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Memory: G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C16D-32GTZ 16GB*2

Graphics Card: ASUS Radeon RX 5700 XT 8G, 8192 MB GDDR6

Power Supply: SuperFlower Leadex Titanium 750W

0 Likes
lazarus777
Journeyman III

I have the exact same issue. Havent had it for the last few days, but it happens whenever I play demanding games. Make sure you have discord hardware acceleration off. It put my gpu usage on 100%. It helped when I put it off.

0 Likes

Thanks !! I'll try this and get back if it worked...

0 Likes

finally somebody else with the issue! Haven\t been able to find anything from anybody else, issue doesnt seem to be present in amds known issues for drivers

0 Likes
foreveryungoos
Journeyman III

I've also had this problem for about a month. I've been updating the drivers consistently but I still get it a lot.

0 Likes
spartanaco
Adept I

Hi All,

I am having a similar issue and am relieved to see that it's not just me. I was worried I'd be shopping for new parts soon.

My system build is as follows:

Mobo: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WiFi)
Bios: Version 1001 (2019/09/25)

Processor: AMD Ryzen R9 3900x
Memory (part number): Corsair CMT16GX4M2C3600C18 (x2)

Video Card: AMD Radeon 5700XT Anniversary Edition

Video Card Driver: 19.10.2

Hard Drive # 1: Corsair MP600 (1TB)

Power Supply: Corsair HX850i

Monitor: Nixeus Vue 24" 144Hz Freesync
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64bit)

A few things to note; firstly the "black out" on my monitor happens when I am in game (full screen in new CoD MW or full screen windowed in the case of WoW), but also seems to be correlated to alt-tabbing to other programs, oddly, I think Discord was always running when I had the system black out, so I disabled hardware acceleration on it to see if it helps.

Secondly, when investigating the Windows Event Viewer I am seeing that there is a "Warning" event logged that states: "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." this happens right before the monitor blacks out and loses signal and I am forced to hit the physical reset button on my case to reboot the computer. I know the system is crashed entirely because my LEDs on the fans go out, which is controlled by the Corsair iCUE software, once the LEDs go out no amount of waiting will allow it to recover on its own.

Another couple of things to note although I'm not confident they're related to the issue. First, I have a PCI-E riser cable in use for the way my GPU is mounted, I have used two different riser cables (one "Premium" 20cm and the other "Extreme" 30cm)  and the problem occurs with both. Secondly, I have custom CableMod PSU cables in use, for no reason other than aesthetics, but I am not sure if this is related, I was suspecting a PSU issue so I wanted to note that.

Finally, and possibly most importantly, I sometimes get a "0E" (Microcode Not Found) boot code on my motherboard on cold boots and the computer won't post unless I fully restart the PC with the restart button. This issue makes me believe there's an issue with the BIOS or the Microcode on the R9 3900x, not sure if it's related but I wanted to see if anyone has common symptoms or issues.

So in short, I'm at a complete loss, I don't know what could be causing this problem, my biggest suspects at the moment are the AMD Video drivers (due to the event viewer entry), the BIOS (due to the failing post and related code), or possibly the riser cable and/or the power supply and cables.

Any insight into the issue we're seeing would be greatly appreciated, I am desperately trying to get my brand new system stable, I have never had an issue like this in the past 15 years of building custom PCs.

Thanks,

Spartanaco  

I can vouch for it not being the cables, I've had this issue before and after installing cablemod cables into my system

Yeah, I found the main thread where this is being tracked/discussed and am seeing that it is most likely the drivers. I have been on 19.10.2 for about a week and it started happening less, but it still occurs, I am fairly certain it's the drivers.

Thread and my comment is here: https://community.amd.com/message/2938783?commentID=2938783#comment-2938783 

0 Likes

the thread is deleted. why?

0 Likes
sausageson
Journeyman III

I am also getting this, I dont know why the thread is deleted. I have the newest drivers, tried underclocking, raising fan speed and undervolting. Nothing works, maybe its freesync?

0 Likes

Disabling freesync fixes the issue but I bought an amd card for the freesync to combine with my freesync monitor

0 Likes
x-el
Journeyman III

I guess if you keep deleting threads the problem is considered solved (no more complaints)

0 Likes
edwarko
Journeyman III

Gigabyte RX 5700 XT GAMING OC 8GB GDDR6

Getting the same issue — suddenly monitor just loses the signal.

Sometimes I hear that my games / audio chats are still running, sometimes the system freezes.

Using the 'restart' button doesn't help at all. Hard reset fixes the issue temporarily.

I've tried two different monitors from 2 vendors, various cables and have updates drivers twice since the issue appeared.

No issue when I use my old AMD Radeon R9 380 Series

0 Likes
clflowers5
Journeyman III

Just bought a red devil 5700xt and have had this happen twice within maybe 3 - 4 hours of gaming. Latest drivers and temps are fine. I was hoping AMD had the drivers fixed by now, but apparently not...

0 Likes

It helps somewhat if you disable hardware acceleration in browsers and especially discord, it's complete bullsh#t that this still hasn't been patched in a driver update

0 Likes
morokain
Journeyman III

Have been having the same issues. I'm on dual monitors, and after a long time when windows turn both screens off, my main monitor loses signal altogether. Oftentimes, the second monitor works fine, which then only forces me to do a standard restart, but sometimes, both monitors lose the signal and in that case only a hard reset fixes it. I had a RX 580 before and never had such issues. 

Something that work often for me is to manually turn off then turn on the main monitor. But it's not consistent. 

I'm really hoping AMD can address this issue once and for all very soon. I hope I won't have to go to Team Green. 

I have a Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT with Ryzen 3600X.

0 Likes
jetnixx
Journeyman III

Just created an account here to say Im having the exact same issues with my rx 5700 (non XT), only started happening in the last 2 weeks after being fine previously.

Gaming normally then seemingly at random black screen loss of signal to monitor, interestingly the audio continues in the background like normal but black screen and no response from key presses, so hard reset is needed every time.

The only thing I can for sure rule out is a PSU problem, This happened on both an old 550w and my new 850w PSU (both gold rated)

My card is a Sapphire RX 5700

Frustrating as with no error codes or feedback from the system I have no idea what this could be.

0 Likes

I guess in a way I'm one of the "lucky" ones as my monitor(s) never turned off while I was gaming. But like you, when I do have those black screens, I can hear windows sounds. And something peculiar, when I wake up my monitor from sleep, I sometimes hear the windows USB connection sound. I can only say I have never experienced a similar situation. 

Speaking of sleep, I deactivated automatic sleep mode in windows since waking up from sleep mode brought a lot more of those black screens. Those black screens bugs/glitches are not even recorded into the Event viewer. The way I see it, it's as if Windows detect the displays are on, but the graphics card "forget" to send the to the monitor. 

Something too I should mentioned (and if any of you are using dual monitors or more, please share) is when only one monitor turns on, I can move my mouse pointer on the off monitor. 

Anyway, please AMD, fix it!

edwarko
Journeyman III

destroyerz117 morokain‌ jetnixx clflowers5 

I've downloaded the latest Adrenalin software once again and installed with the 'reset' option (delete existing + delete user settings). Once installed, FreeSync was on, so I've disabled it and all the software accelerations. Currently I have a 65 GHz monitor connected via DP. Had no issue for a couple of days.

Will try switching to a 144 GHz monitor tomorrow.

0 Likes
kataclisma
Journeyman III

Olá a todos!

Estou tendo esse problema estranho, que começou há uma semana.

Aleatoriamente, o sinal para meus monitores é interrompido e eu tenho que fazer uma reinicialização total (usar o botão de reinicialização no meu caso não ajuda, tenho que pressionar o botão liga / desliga). Quando o sinal é interrompido, primeiro há uma linha verde ou intermitente e, em seguida, recebo o sinal sem do meu monitor.

Não sei se isso está relacionado, mas, às vezes, quando inicio o PC, a tela congela na tela de login (não é um problema com o mouse ou o teclado, porque o tempo na tela não é atualizado). 

Placa de Vídeo Sapphire Radeon Navi RX 5700 XT Nitro+, 8GB GDDR6, 256Bit, 11293-05-40G

já tentei de tudo formata o PC, já instalei drives anteriores, o mais novo e nada resolve de fato o problema. somente reduz a probabilidade do mesmo acontecer!!! 

Actualmente estou com este instalado 

Download AMD Radeon Adrenalin 2020 20.1.1

pois foi o que menos mostrou problemas! e detalhe desactivei todos os recursos da amd e deixei a placa trabalhando quase como de fabrica, usando apenas os recurso de imagem dos proprios jogos. e mesmo assim o problema ocorre só que com menor frequência e em menos jogos!

Battlefield V

Apex Legends

PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds

Destiny 2

Battlefield 1

Rainbow Six Siege

Grand Theft Auto V

Ghost Recon Wildlands

Black Desert Online - RedFox Games

tela preta com áudio que precisa de reinicialização para continuar quando desconectar o occulus rift s é irritante.

0 Likes
idiocracy
Adept II

Have the same issue with a 5700 xt red devil, just booting is a pain in the as.s. Just today i've had to hard reset, turn off and on my computer more than 20 times just to get video out and booting to windows at the same time. Getting to bios is no problem, but often it'll hard lock when loading windows. Loading windows diagnostics during boot is also no problem. If i pop in an old spare card everything is fine.

I wrote to powercolour tech support 3 weeks ago, no response, so i don't think they care.

0 Likes
deleonardis
Journeyman III

Same problem. Disable of hardware acc does not help. At least every 30 minutes i get black screen. 

I have the latest drivers!

This graphic card for almost 400 eur make computer useless.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!This issue must be solved immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

try: copy driver installer folder elsewhere. remove driver, reboot

opend device mananger choose gpu card update driver by pointing to installer folder.

you wont have software, but hopefully stable card.

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes
indy650
Adept II

I have this issue and also randomly I will have a blue hue to my screen and need to restart. I have found undervolting the GPU does make it much more stable in my case. I am really upset with Amd I have stuck with them for decades but I don't see why I shouldn't switch to Nvidia. 

0 Likes
tarelow
Adept I

I have a NAVI and am switching to an nvidia. Amd cannot solve the problem...

. Nvidia this solution, see questions in this forum! I have one Rx 5700 xt... 

totally agree I think I'm gonna switch to Nvidia too. So much for bleeding red for over 20 years.

larabee
Journeyman III

Instal the latest driver released on Feb 28. Then Slight undervolt the card and apply a -20% power limit. That should do the trick. Anything above -20% power limit will crash it during prolonged period of gaming. 

0 Likes

Eh if you need to power limit to play, you have a likely PSU issue.

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

nope first thing i did was buy a new 1200w psu.

0 Likes

Idk then, your gpu can't handle stock voltage with stock clocks? Was it like that new?

How the hell did it get passed quality check then?

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

LMAO it passed the quality check because it's made my AMD. They apparently have no quality check! 

It's not made by AMD but other Co. Like MSI or gigabyte 

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

What are you talking about? I have an AMD blower style card not an aftermarket card. It's called a reference card you know the ones that the company itself makes before aftermarket companies make their copy of the card. It was months after the 5700 series was released that any aftermarket companies even made any.

0 Likes

sry i was thinking of 5600 xt, they made no reference of those.

at least5700 and 5700 XT Reference Cards Discontinued

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes

Lol, my PSU can handle 1200W of 12v load easily. The load on the card is about 220w max.

Black screen also happens in my vega 56, 64, and VII. The chance that I get all defective cards from 3 different vendors at 3 different models is really low. I think the problem here relate to weird interaction between power limit and the power table from the driver. Set power limit to -20% will delay the black screen but it will come back after a while. On average, I get about 4 hours of solid gaming then it crashes. Before applying the undervolt and power limit, it will crash in about 20 mins. 
Enhanced sync and vsync is disabled as always and I also unplug my second monitor while gaming.
is there a way to completed disable nonsense feature such as recording and streaming?

i just try to add more data point to help AMD solve the issue. 

0 Likes

did you try to uninstall the driver and install it by pointing location in  device manager to the installer folder?

ryzen 5600 + 6700 XT
0 Likes
sonojo
Adept I

am still having black screen with Radeon 2020 drivers, when I go back to 19.2.1 everything works well but with 2020 drivers I can't even play back a movie that it gives me a black screen. I bought this card (RADEON VII) thinking that I was upgrading my setup to something much better and know I can't even install new drivers.

0 Likes
tarelow
Adept I

I want to install the drive, put the video card and play, who has to solve technical problems is AMD ...

Same issue here, been waiting for a driver to fix this, don't understand why it's not a top priority. Driver notes seem to suggest they think it's linked to adaptive sync but the problem remains even with it's turned off.

0 Likes