cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

mackbolan777
Forerunner

Re: Amd Radeon RX 5600 XT black screen

You can do what you did by manually installing the driver pack and stopping it at he part where it shows the install directory. By that point the driver is extracted to the specified path in the window. Copy or write down the path and cancel the install. Go into device manager find the display adapter, click "update driver", "browse my computer", and navigate to that location that was in the installation window. 

You've now installed just the driver, no Adrenaline and it is a fix that has been tried. As I mentioned, the 20.8.3 (August 3, 2020) is the most stable driver for the 5000 series in general. Rumors are the newest driver works for some but I wouldn't bet on it. The 5000 cards are EOL (End Of Life) so no new fixes for the most part. 

A whole other process, that albeit shouldn't need to be done by an end user, is to go into the tuning setting to set some things up. Click on "automatic" in the OC area, select "undervolt GPU" and write the number down. Switch to "manual OC" enable all disabled things, in "fine tuning" for the voltage, put that lower number you got in there as the "max" voltage. Slide you core clocks closer so the 1st clock is ~1000, middle ~1300, max ~1650 (your clocks may be different but that's the idea. Should be ~960mv. I select the option to to disable the "zeroRPM" fan function as well. Finally slide the "power limit" to max. This allows the GPU to add voltage under load if needed. Hit apply. Save the profile in the upper right by clicking the "gear" icon, "save profile". 

Try those settings out and see if any problems arise. If you crash again, reapply the saved profile and add +12Mhz to the VRAM, try again. 

Sometimes the crashes could be RAM timing or bad RAM, so I would run MemTest Manual (hcidesign.com)  to 800% coverage to be certain there's no issues. The CPU OC, if applied and "uncore" is not enabled, I know we're talking Intel, it could create an issue because it will cause the BUS speed to change, altering the PCIe multiplier.

Then there is brand of card. Not all "partner" cards are created equal. I had a Gigabyte RX 5600 XT (2 fan) and it ran fantastic. Always run 2 x PCIe power cables if you have 2 x 8 pin connectors, it makes a difference.

In 2018 I had an Intel 8700K paired with an MSI Duke 1080i and had WHEA 18's from time to time, crashes and it was BIOS settings, while running the click n go 5Ghz option and Nvidia had a problem driver as well. So not always an AMD driver issue, but it does catch the blame due to several bad experiences.

It's easy to blame the part or driver but comparing an RX 580 to the RX 5600 XT is not a good idea, they use different aspects of the driver package. They're drastically different in design as well. 

"It worked before you broke it!"
0 Likes
cristi_trohin
Adept II

@mackbolan777 I tried everything, from undervolting to underclocking, but I still had crashes. My RAM is at default settings, no XMP, 2666MHz Samsung RAM. The CPU is at stock 95W TDP, no multicore enhancements. I tried installing the AMD driver by decompressing the installer using 7zip. It still crashed. I ran MemTest for 24 hours without any errors. The only thing that initially reduced the crashes was writing the old 12000MHz vbios on the card. And now with what's installed by Windows I have yet to run into a crash.

I doubt 5000 series is EOL, since even the 500 and 400 series are still receiving bugfixes and improvements.

0 Likes
Tazryder
Adept II

I have a solution I have posted a detailed reply on "ackerworx___dot__UK" but I will try and reexplain it in a textual format here, but its dependent on a particular error, check your eventlogs and look for any Dcom errors,

*** Verification Step - You Can Skip this, but it's better to make sure****

If you find them, clear the log and try and replicate the crash. Then check the log for another similar Dcom issue.

*** Verification Step - You Can Skip this, but it's better to make sure****

On Windows it's EventLog ---> Windows Logs ---> System 

Go to start ---> type "Component Services"

In Component Services in the left hand panel showing the Console Root tree

Click on the plus sign to expand the branch that says  "Component Services"

and click on the next plus sign beneath that says "Computers"

In the Middle panel/pane right click on "My Computer" to open up the Context Menu and select properties 

In the "My Computers Properties" Window, select the tab "Default Properties"

Unselect Enable Com Internet Services on this Computer

Unselect Enable Distributed Com Services on this computer

Click OK and  restart

PS: This does NOT disable your internet, DCOM and COM is part of an old archaic system, that is rarely used in a home computer environment.

If your in a server/client environment, check with your system administrator first to see if disabling this will affect any services or legacy services that you might connect to.

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

EOL, you're partially right. They changed course I just read and they will continue until Q1 this year. The 5700 is EOL now. The RX 5700 XT and RX 5600 XT are winding up in Q1 2021. However, I'm not certain on "fixes" they offer in newer drivers. So far it's been nothing new since 20.9.2 for any of the cards you mention. 

You mention the vBIOS, some cards couldn't handle that and an RMA should've been done in those cases. That was a "maybe it will be stable" idea that did work on some brands. Gigabyte was one. Others were hit and miss. So if you tried to write the vBIOS back, check in GPU-Z to see if it wrote back, I was told that's a one way street. In that case, your card should still be under warranty, RMA it.

0 Likes
cristi_trohin
Adept II

@mackbolan777 It did write the vBIOS ok. I checked with GPUz and with Radeon software. The memory was at 12GHz on both counts. About RMAing the card, I tried that as well. The problem is, the ill-informed people at the warranty service don't understand that you can't test a card just with Heaven. That's all they did, and sent the card back with "defect not manifesting", even though I've sent them videos and screenshots of the card misbehaving. Another problem is that with the current prices, even if I would get my money back, I could barely get a new 1050 ti with what I paid for this 5600 XT, which is not exactly what I want right now for 1440p gaming

0 Likes
mackbolan777
Forerunner

Hint, sell it. Mine worked fine and sold for $500 on eBay. I'd try it out in a friend's machine first to make sure it works. Then sell it, send a redacted copy of your receipt/invoice with it, just in case the buyer needs warranty. I agree, that is total BS that the manufacturer ran one test and called it "good" or even bothered sending the exact card back. They should've sent you the properly revised card with the updated vBIOS or PCB. However, tough times, you can easily make enough off that to offset something better.

0 Likes