cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

jetset125
Adept I

AMD Radeon R9 290x unable to do 4K@60 on latest Drivers - using HDMI 2.0 Display Port Adapter

I'm having issues with my R9 290x and a Club 3D display port adapter which should allow HDMI 2.0 over DP 1.2. This was working in the past, and no amount of overriding in the software or CRU will allow anything higher than 30hz at 4k since I upgraded to the new Adrenalin/Catalyst UI and Drivers. Origin (ugh) and some other software refuse to work without upgrading drivers.

I'm assuming the card is only seeing HDMI 1.4, and not 2.0. Is there a fix for this yet?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Update: So this is really dumb, When the Club 3D adapter is only reporting 30hz. I plug in the Dell DP to HDMI Adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Dell-DisplayPort-to-HDMI-Adapter/dp/B06XQZ2XDD) Model Y4D5R I have, when I plug it in I get ZERO picture but the drivers recognize a second monitor, I THEN swap in the Club 3D Adapter it will then identify as being able to handle 60hz. 

I've been able to repeat this step reliably, so I guess this is solved (?). Hopefully a future update will not cripple this method, please reply if you have any questions. I've seen many folks struggle with this on older cards. With the chip shortage, buying a new card is simply not an option. Again, hope this helps someone!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jetset125
Adept I

Well, this is odd. I plugged in a Dell DP to HDMI adapter to use the other adapter with a laptop, which refused to show picture. I then switched back to the Club 3D adapter, reset my TV power, and now I'm getting 4k@60 on my desktop again . Not a great solution, but it's solved for now, maybe this will help someone?

I'll update if I find a way to reproduce, but I am SURPRISED it worked at all. One hint, that I will look at if it breaks again, I did mess around with the settings in CRU prior to doing all this the other day now. Something I did there might have tricked the driver to register my display properly after that reset.

0 Likes

Update: So this is really dumb, When the Club 3D adapter is only reporting 30hz. I plug in the Dell DP to HDMI Adapter (https://www.amazon.com/Dell-DisplayPort-to-HDMI-Adapter/dp/B06XQZ2XDD) Model Y4D5R I have, when I plug it in I get ZERO picture but the drivers recognize a second monitor, I THEN swap in the Club 3D Adapter it will then identify as being able to handle 60hz. 

I've been able to repeat this step reliably, so I guess this is solved (?). Hopefully a future update will not cripple this method, please reply if you have any questions. I've seen many folks struggle with this on older cards. With the chip shortage, buying a new card is simply not an option. Again, hope this helps someone!