Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

tonyw
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon HD 7800 - Query on Specs

Hello,

I used an AMD Radeon HD 7800 Graphics Card when I built a new PC in 2013. Just after Christmas I installed a train simulator game (Train Sim World) and in less that 2 weeks of use I got an error message. I logged this with Dovetail Games (Steam) support who requested a copy of my DxDiag file. They then replied to say that my graphics card did not meet the minimum specs for the game which is shown on their website as 2Gb.  When I looked at my DxDiag file it seems to indicate that my AMD Radeon HD 7800 actually does meet the minimum specs, with 3 values shown one being 4Gb and the other two at 2Gb. I've copied the specs for the game and from my Graphics card so would appreciate if someone could confirm that my card meets the minimum specs, as I'm not sure which of the three different memory is the one related to VRAM. One of the conditions of a refund is that my PC meets the published game specifications.

Another issue that Dovetail Games support mentions is that I'm using an old driver, which is true . However I am intentionally using an old driver for a particular reason which I am going to do as a separate post as it is a different issue.

What TSW needs:

• Graphics: nVidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti or AMD Radeon R9 270 with 2GB VRAM or more (nVidia GeForce GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 480 with 4GB VRAM or more recommended)

My AMD Card, per DxDiag:

Display Devices

---------------

Card name: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series

Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6819)

DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6819&SUBSYS_042C1043&REV_00

Display Memory: 4095 MB

Dedicated Memory: 2027 MB

Shared Memory: 2068 MB

Current Mode: 1680 x 1050 (32 bit) (60Hz)

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tony

0 Likes
5 Replies

0x6819 core is used for the 7850, 265, and 270 1024SP. The HD 7850 is significantly slower than the R7 270, so no it does not meet the minimum requirements.

Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6819)

0 Likes

According to Steam the PC requirements for Train Simulator 2019 is a follows:

Seems like you need a recommended amount of 4 gigabytes of GPU vRAM if you are using Windows x64 OS using Steam to play. But if you have a Windows x32 OS than you just need a 1 gigabyte GPU vRAM.

It doesn't mention the minimum GPU vRAM for Windows x64 OS. But it looks like the HD 7850 would be exceptable for minimum requirements if you had a Windows x32 OS.

0 Likes

The game should run fine on a 7850 with 2GB of VRAM regardless of it being just slightly under the minimum spec of an R9 270...... The support person claiming they won't help you because your rig is "under specced" even though the game ran fine for you at first and just suddenly developed the error is pure laziness on their part..... what you should interpret that message as meaning is that they simply do not wish to be bothered and do not want to help you.

0 Likes

And to help you out....... Dedicated VRAM is the amount of VRAM actually on the card, Shared is the amount the card is allowed to borrow of your system RAM, and Total is both of those combined.
Dedicated is the one you should go by, so your card has the required 2GB of VRAM.

0 Likes

Also, there's a chance your card isn't a 7850 at all, but could be a 7870, which is actually equal to an R9 270..... the only way to verify this would be to download the utility GPU-Z and look at the shader count, a 7850 would have 1024 shaders, while a 7870 would have 1280 shaders

0 Likes