cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Xenxor
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon HD 7690M Not Being Used

I am not a tech-savvy person, so bear with me.
I have the Samsung DP700A3D with Intel Core i5-3470T & AMD Radeon HD 7690M 1GB. It's a pretty old PC but it gets the job done.

Now what I'm curious is that seems like my GPU is not being used at all, and instead, it's taking up my CPU which is kind of worrying since I mostly use this PC for gaming.

The driver I currently use is the Radeon Software Crimson Edition Beta (Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta) which came out in 2016, and I am also at Windows 10.

Is there anything that I should do, or any more details I should lay out? I will be waiting for any response, thanks.

(Edit: I should also mention that the GPU shows up on Device Manager as Display adapters, even on System Information at subcategory of Display, but never shows up on Task Manager, it just seem to use up my CPU, even with Xbox Game's performance widget, has CPU%, RAM% and FPS but doesn't have GPU%)

0 Likes
1 Solution

The last/latest/ correct graphics driver for your 7690M:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-7690m

You have to assign the high performance graphics to the game. This is done by going to Settings / System / Display and scroll down to Graphics,

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_3.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies

The last/latest/ correct graphics driver for your 7690M:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-7000m-series/amd-radeon-hd-7690m

You have to assign the high performance graphics to the game. This is done by going to Settings / System / Display and scroll down to Graphics,

Screenshot_5.png

Screenshot_3.png

I should already have the latest driver for my 7690M, which is the Crimson Edition 16.2.1 Beta.

So I did assign the graphics to high performance, but the GPU seems to still not appear on Task Manager, just CPU, Memory, Disk, & Network. Same as well with Xbox Game Bar Performance's widget, just the CPU%, RAM% and FPS.

Is it supposed to be like that? Or am I missing something? Thanks.Task ManagerTask ManagerXbox Game Bar Performance widgetXbox Game Bar Performance widget

0 Likes

Look in Device Manager / Display Adapter...are there any yellow error marks? Is the HD7690M listed?

0 Likes

No yellow error marks, but it shows "AMD Radeon HD 7600M Series" instead of "AMD Radeon HD 7690M"

0 Likes

Series is correct...nothing to worry about.

0 Likes

Have you checked your Power Supply Unit in your PC for dust buildup it may need a severe cleaning.

Those high power usage levels could be the result of an overheating power supply.

If it is really dirty the only way to clean them out effectively is to remove them from the PC to make sure you get all the dust bunnies out. Plus your whole inside of your PC may just need a really good cleaning.

Clean mine out once a month all that electrical charge attracts a lot of dust. Dust not only causes PC overheating but is a severe fire hazard. 

0 Likes