Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

rad
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon Driver Downscaling

Hi,

I don't believe this is the case, but please correct me if I'm wrong, but is there any way that you can achieve Sapphire Trixx style downscaling in the AMD drivers directly?  While most popular games support a scaling feature to adjust rendering resolution, I would say the majority do not.  The reason I would be interested in such a feature is the jump from 1440p to 4K is huge in terms of graphics performance and in the coming months I was thinking of getting a 4K monitor.  Monitors typically last 10 years, whereas graphics cards get updated more frequently so I don't want to limit myself to getting a 1440p monitor just because I can't drive 4K adequately right now.  The ability to perform 85% downscaling in the driver directly would be pretty useful to ensure good frame rates in the short term, while we wait for sensible prices for the current top-end graphics cards/next-generation graphics cards.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Thanny
Miniboss

Not right now, as far as I know.  But you can just run the games at 2560x1440 and let the monitor scale the output up.  You can also add sharpening to make the result look better.

0 Likes
rad
Journeyman III

As a short-term solution, I could render at 1440p and let the monitor upscale, but I'm pretty sure the image quality would suffer considerably.  The general consensus is that downscaling 85% (about 1800p for the 4K example) combined with image sharpening produces minimal loss in image quality and results in a 20-30% performance boost compared to the native resolution.  This is the difference between the 6800 and the 6900XT which is significant!!

It would be cool if there were driver support; such an option could be set in the game profile.  Native support in the game engine would be the optimal solution, but it seems that Trixx users are more than satisfied with the ability to determine the trade off between frame rate and image quality on a much finer scale than by selecting default resolutions.  Anyway, if Super Resolution is still a ways off, AMD please consider something like this!

0 Likes