cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics

havoc-28
Adept II

Re: AMD Radeon 6600xt restart pc when screen timeout is turned on?

Jump to solution

I disabled power saving for the monitor ... just put a screen saver when i am away just for a bit, or shut down the monitor when it's for a longer time. 

It's a temporary fix and i hope that there will be a driver that fix this issue. 

And you know there are plenty usages for a computer, like if i am encoding some videos, i don't need to be there :p. 

0 Likes
havoc-28
Adept II

Jump to solution

Tried the 21.8.2 same thing happened, not on the known bug list thought. 

ohio_buckeye
Adept I

Jump to solution

I'm having issues as well, but mine is slightly different.  

After an hour or more of playing games, during gameplay, my screen will simply go black, then the system will reboot.  

I was using the AMD overlay to monitor temps, and temps are usually in the 40's-50's to where the fans aren't even spinning on the card.

Specs

Ryzen 5 3600

AsRock AB350 Pro 4

16gb ddr4 3000 can't remember brand exactly, crucial or corsair.  

256gb Samsung 960 EVO boot drive

1tb Teamgroup sata ssd for storage

2 1 tb spinning drives

Cooler Master MB511 case with 6 fans installed.  3 intake on front, 2 on top exhaust, 1 rear exhaust, and I have a PCI bracket with 2 80mm case fans that sit right under my gpu blowing cool air into it all the time.

Corsair RM850x Gold Power supply

At first my system would freeze during games, which I though might be drivers, so I updated to 21.8.2 

When it rebooted the first time and freezes would occasionally happen, I bought and installed the Corsair Power supply.  I had a 750 watt PowerSpec Bronze unit before.  

In this system, I've used both AMD and Nvidia cards and have never had this issue.  I got the RX 6600xt a few days after release, so maybe what I'm seeing happen is a driver?

Perhaps it's related to the initial content.  Any ideas before I end up RMAing this card?

Also, I have run DDU in safe mode a few times attempting to clear drivers out.  I see there's one other bios update for my board, but I've never had this issue with previous cards.  

0 Likes
Devlander
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

It's not only happening when monitor turns off for power saving, it is also happening if monitor is simply turned off. Either the display driver crashes or Windows crashes and PC instantly restarts.

Every RX 6600 XT compatible driver I have tried on multiple systems with two different RX 6600 XT gpus has had this problem.

ohio_buckeye
Adept I

Jump to solution

I haven't experienced that, but I always leave my monitor on and allow it to sleep when my PC is shut off.  

I'm hopeful my card is working better though, I had changed power supplies earlier on,  I rolled back my drivers to 21.8.1, and I saw my PowerColor card has a vbios switch on it with 2 modes, one for overclocking, which it was set on from the factory, and a silent mode.  I moved it over to silent mode, and last night I was able to play about 1.5 hours of BF1 with no hangups, reboots, etc.  So if your card is overclocked at all, you may back off the overclock and see if it helps. 

But I do wish AMD would fix the drivers.  I've owned a few nvidia cards, this is my first AMD card in a while, and I've gotta say, if this were normal times, I likely would have returned this card and gotten a 3060 or 3060ti to replace it as I've rarely had these things happen on nvidia cards.  The reason I've stuck with this card for the amount of time I have already is because I got it for $439.99, and even if I get my money back, I can't get a card that is at the same tier this one is for the money, but I don't like feeling like a beta tester, though I do understand that new products have teething issues at times.  

simplysimon911
Adept III

Jump to solution

Can you confirm you have tried restarting the gpu driver when it happens by pressing 

Win+Ctrl+Shift+B

Are the gpu fans turning? What power supply you got? What temps are there when it crashes.

You could leave the pc on with the bios displayed to see if its software or hardware and try safemode. If it contiues i would return it and just get a 3060. 

This just brings back memories of the 5700xt where the drivers were continually useless.

Dont bother contacting AMD support you may aswell ask your cat or dog to help

ohio_buckeye
Adept I

Jump to solution

With my card, unless the temperature exceeds 60 celsius, the fans don't turn.  

The key combination honestly I never thought about, so good idea there.  But usually when I would get a reboot, it usually happened within a few seconds.  

I actually have been talking to PowerColor support since they were the manufacturer, the guy there seems helpful.  

As far as returning it, I could, as I'm within my return window, however, even at my local Microcenter, I probably couldn't replace the card for what I paid for it, or if I did, I'd have to get a 1050ti for example, so trying to make this work if I can.  

I'll see how it goes.

johansonns
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

I am literally experiencing exactly the same problems since the first day of my XFX qick 6600xt arrived.

However, it acts completely weird only if I have youtube or any other video service (eg. Vimeo etc) on.

No matter what, if any youtube music video is playing on the background in some tab, or, if I am pausing video and going away from my desk, after my display is turning off as per power saver plan: my PC reboots.

Sometimes I even experience sound crashes for 15-20sec while video being played, but only after my display goes off! After that PC reboots by itself immediately.

I have tried same set-up with different browsers, all the time is the same result. Once display goes off as per power saver plan -> my PC reboots.

I tried playing spotify app/ soundcloud in browser etc. After display turns off, everything works perfectly, no sound crashes no reboots, absolutely nothing, but once I have any video on/paused - it corrupts.

Had this issue with previous versions of drivers, now with 21.8.2 nothing changed.

I have to say this is super annoying. This is my first AMD card ever and I already have troubles with it. 

Been using Nvidia all my life before and have NEVER experienced any issues with them. Everything worked properly out of the box. 

fxmanchu
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

This happens to me, without fail, everytime the computer goes to sleep. Even I trigger the sleep from Start > Power > Sleep.

This is really annoying and I've lost work because of it. It feels like I'm back in the 90s with no power saving mode and a screen saver. It's kind of ridiculous that this isn't fixed yet.

Jump to solution

Personally lately, I've been having a bigger issue either while gaming, or just using the computer remotely through Parsec: basically I'll be doing either, and I'll get an error about 'running out of memory allocating textures', and whatever game I'm in will crash, and usually Discord goes all 'black-screen' on me. I then have to reboot the machine entirely to get it to work.

I personally refuse to believe a card that has four times the memory I had on my previous GTS 950 is 'running out of memory', so I'm guessing it's AMD's craptacular drivers. Seriously, how did that somehow transfer over from ATI to them?