Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

mineland
Journeyman III

AMD Radeon 6450 HD bsod problems

So my pc bsods when i open certain programs
I recently have moved from windows 10 to windows 7 and almost everything worked. i installed my regular programs and obs to see if it worked better in windows 7 than in 10 on my fairly old machine. i installed it and some seconds later a bsod occurred. it was something related to hardware issues by the looks of the error code which was 124. ive read online that it was something related to a hardware malfunction and it probably is related to my gpu. the thing is, this didnt happened in windows 10, so its probably something to do with the drivers. I have already downgraded to an older version of my graphics driver and it still happened.

Some other programs and games have had something similar: i play minecraft with optifine and something weird happens with a setting named "render regions" is enabled; the game "sonic robo blast 2" which is based on the doom legacy engine has weird sound glitches and a bsod with the same code happens if i leave it open for some minutes. and bandicam does the same as obs in this case.

pc specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU E1500 @ 2.20GHz 2.20 GHz

Ram: 3.00 GB

GPU: Amd radeon HD 6450 (as shown in dxdiag)

more info on the gpu: https://www.asus.com/mx/Graphics-Cards/EAH6450_SILENTDI1GD3LP/
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1237486-REG/asus_eah6450_silent_di_1gd3_lp_radeon_hd_6450_sil...

I dont know if it has something to do with the drivers or with the gpu itself, but i couldnt find a concrete thread that could help me on my problem, so if someone could help me out i would highly appreciate it.

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Reply

When you moved to Windows 7 from Windows 10 was it a Clean install of Windows 7?

Here are the last 2 AMD Drivers for your GPU card: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-hd/amd-radeon-hd-6000-series/amd-radeon-hd-6450

Try using DDU (Display Driver uninstaller) in Safe mode (best method) or the Windows desktop with the internet disconnected and deleting C:\AMD installation folder if created.

Download the full AMD driver package and install it, still with the internet disconnected. Once it install successfully, reconnect the internet and again delete the installation folder C:\AMD.

See if the BSOD continue. If it does jot down the exact BSOD error code and driver if shown. Also check Device Manager and make sure you don't have any drivers with issues showing errors or yellow exclamation marks.

Are all your 3rd party Apps compatible with Windows 7 and it drivers.

As you probably are well aware of MS has stopped supporting Windows 7 OS. So eventually so will AMD. But since your GPU card are not supported anymore that isn't an issue unless you are planning on upgrading the GPU card.

With a monitoring program check the temperatures of the GPU card when it BSODs.

You might want to use OCCT to stress test your CPU, GPU, & PSU for stability issues or hardware defections. If it passes all 3 tests without crashing or overheating than most likely is an incompatible issue with Windows 7.

0 Likes