cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

Z474AL3MN2VC
Journeyman III

AMD Link 4K

I recently purchased a 6900XT and it's a beast on my desktop. AMD Link works but when I launch games from AMD Link on my Shield, connected to my 4K TV, the resolution maxes out at my desktop's native resolution of 3440x1440; the AMD Link resolution setting is set to device native (low, medium, high 1080p , device native). I use to stream 4K to my Shield/TV no problem using GameStream (Steam Link has the same issues as AMD Link, no 4K. Custom resolutions don't work either.).

How can we stream at 4K to AMD Link devices?

Specifications:
PC: Dark Hero, 5900X, 32GB DDR4 3600, 6900XT, Alienware 34" Ultra Wide
Living Room: 77" LG OLED, Nvidia Shield Pro (2019)

This is a deal breaker for me. People don't realize how awesome it is to play on your desktop for competitive titles and then stream adventure games to your 4K TV in another room.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Z474AL3MN2VC
Journeyman III

Update: I disabled the "GPU Scaling" option in the graphics menu and I can now select custom 4K resolutions. The 4K streaming experience is horrible; the image is compressed introducing additional aliasing and the input latency is extreme. It's as if I was playing on a cloud service with bad internet as opposed to the Nvidia GameStream experience which felt like I was playing with my PC hooked up to the TV. Extremely disappointing.

I really wanted to buy an AMD graphics card this time around but because the game streaming isn't working I'd have move the PC downstairs and upstairs every day or build two AMD gaming systems, this is a huge deal breaker for me.

I have until March 28th to return my 6900XT and will be working on getting a 3080 while I wait.

0 Likes

Update: This time I hooked up my old PC to my TV to use Steam Link and Steam games can stream at 4K. The Nvidia Shield was causing a lot of the stream quality issues; it seems it is only good for streaming for GameStream. Non Steam games added to Steam do not. I also tried Rainway and Parsec but those are mostly for mobile device gaming and cap out at 1080p.

Still pursuing the return option as I can't stream my gaming desktop to play on my 4K TV.

0 Likes

Update: Officially returned my 6900XT last month as everything I tried was not a good experience. Now I have a 3090 and streaming to my living room without issue.

It would have been nice to check out AMD Link 4.0 but too little too late.

0 Likes