Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

danwo
Adept II

AMD GPU 6950XT artifact issues on office 365

Hi

So I have 6950XT GPU and with new driver I get artifact in all Office 365 programs. I gues this is hardware acceleration problem. 

I cannot disable hardware acceleration on some programs. So should I buy Nvidia or is AMD going to do a driver update? 

I can not go back to older drivers becouse they have even bigger problems. 

I have 7950X, 64GB. 

Adrenaline version 22.10.1

I want to update GPU with either 4090 or 7900XT/7950XT. 

But would artifact / hardware acceleration problems be there for AMD with new GPUs?

30 Replies
danwo
Adept II

22.10.2 Adrenaline driver seems to have fixed many minor issues.

0 Likes

Any updates about how to fix artifact problems in Office 365? Specialy noticable in OneNote and Outlook. 

I have 7950X, 64GB. 

GPU 6950XT

Adrenaline version 22.10.2

Windows 11

Version 22H2

Nothing is overclocked. 

danwo
Adept II

BUMP, will new top cards from AMD make this problem go away? 

I tested 7950X and 13900K with 6950XT. 

Office programs still have problems. Most likely "Hardware exceleration". But this is not possible to disable in office programs. 

Older drivers give no artifacts. Only newer drivers. 

1. There is a way to disable HW acceleration in Office. Just this checkmark is buried under lots of other checkmarks. 

DimkaTsv_0-1667514817210.png

Sorry for Russian there, i don't have EN-US version of Office installed.

And i don't have artifacts in Office strangely. Maximum issue i get is for some reason scrolling up and down can become slow for some time. But then it comes back to normal.

I also got fun issue with RTX 2060 before. I lost some colours on slide backgrounds from Powerepoint... Like some layers got lost from them. It also affected text and other types of content. Was forced to disable HW Accel back then. 

0 Likes
danwo
Adept II

Hi, thanks. So I find this for Word.

How to find this for Outlook, Onenote and Excell?

0 Likes

Hmm... For Excel and Powerpoint it is there. Basically in same place. 

DimkaTsv_0-1667585267518.png

For OneNote and Outlook, idk. I don't use them. Hmm... So... Lemme get them quick. 
Ok, installed with english versions for now

Yup. again, both in exactly same place. Even easier to find with English

DimkaTsv_1-1667586975561.png

DimkaTsv_3-1667587137037.png

0 Likes
danwo
Adept II

Hi

I dont have same options like you. I have Office 365 Subscription. 

OneNote.jpgOutlook.jpg

0 Likes

Oh, hmm... Then sorry, I only have Office 2021 (2016 with extra steps), so i won't be able to guide you through Office 365 as i am no familiar with it's menus, neither i know german. 

Yupp, I think that Office 365 dont have option to turn off hardware acceleration. But I give upp AMD. I dont know why, but now is web-browsing back to flickering. 

Getting me self 4090. 

Maybe this is just happening to my 6950XT. But my 6950XT dont have any flickering or artifact if I use older driver. 

0 Likes

It is happening because AMD began to integrating Microsoft accursed MPO within their drivers. This is good stuff, but god it causes a lot of pain.
Nvidia made this step about 2 years ago and had bugs followed their drivers for at least around 1.5 years (saw mentions up to may/june of this year). 
You can try to just disable MPO completely. Nvidia support have file with registry edit (adding one line)

How to disable MPO completly on AMD?

I dont know, have 7950X and 13900 system. So I can test out different PC parts. Getting 4090 soon and maybe 7900XTX just to see if anything changes. 

I use 4 4K screens and I use PC for work, productivity, editing etc. I need stable PCs that can handle every program 24/7. 

Specialy simple programs should run perfectly. 

0 Likes

Should be same as for Nvidia
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Dwm]
"OverlayTestMode"=dword:00000005

And check for MPO MaxPlanes in dxdiag report. If MPO disabled there will be "=1". And if enabled... Well for me it is "=3", while for Nvidia "=4" iirc 
There is bunch of proofs including ones for Nvidia having similar issues. Currently Nvidia masked almost all bugs from MPO, but they are having bad time with Win11 22H2 from what i know.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/the-rx-6000-series-owners-club.276164/post-4870142
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/multiplane-overlay-issues.443121/
https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/disabling-mpo-multiplace-overlay-can-improve-some-desktop-apps-fli...

Also, seems to be nice tool to have. Looks like MPO can be disabled or restored on driver installation level from here. Hadn't tested myself though

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/amd-radeon-software-customize-setup-radeon-setup-tool.443504/

---------------------

Flickers usually come from Chrome for me, but they are only frequent problem i meet (like singular frame gets out of time). 22.10.3 is still MUCH better than 22.10.1 for me (f*** 22.10.1, it was horrible experience with loads of system lockdowns and game freezes). 

P.S. Good for you being able to afford such expensive components. 4090 will probably be better in productivity, though... CUDA cores, tensor cores and stuff... Except power consumption and small potential risk of melting 12 VHPWR cable and connector.

P.P.S. There is chance that regkey disabling MPO stopped working on Win11 22H2. Personal investigation in progress, but that would explain why Nvidia drivers got flooded with bugs after Windows update.

0 Likes
danwo
Adept II

Right now I just want GPU that works on 4 screens with no bugs. I will test soon on diferent GPUs. 

0 Likes

From tests seems like MPO registry edit works, at least it solves many people's problems (including AMD users), and i personally confirmed that this regedit does change known bad interactions. But dxdiag still reports MaxPlanes=3, and it seems like MPO isn't disabled completely for me. MPO for sure messes up with people who have several monitors and especially when these monitors have different refresh rate.
-----------------------------------
For very pragmatic solution. Try Enabling Radeon ReLive (replay) with system memory as cache (system memory == RAM). It forces monitor refresh rate to be capped, countring MPO effects (funnies part, is that you won't be able to record MPO related bugs/artifacts because they will disappear as soon as you press record). But i don't know how ReLive will work several monitors at same time.

---------------

In any case good luck with testing. Can you tell us results please? Also, additional small helping hand. MPO isn't working with displays that have 10bpc or higher color depth. For 10 bpc there is some controversions on Nvidia side, but 12bpc FOR SURE aren't supported

0 Likes

That sucks yo.  I expect this to be a bug from MS.  New release ARE Beta testing.  You might try a fresh install of an older windows release that is more stable,  Malwarebytes is also good for system trojans. or alternatively fire up manjaro or some other common distro to make sure the hardware in fact "Can Work"

Libre and thunderbird might give you less grief?

Live long and Linux( as said from windows)

0 Likes
Volkdude85
Challenger

Mint OS does all of the office, email stuff very very cleanly.  My Friend did 4 years of college in Mint OS with a used laptop and the teachers couldn't even tell it was Linux... bare minimum I'd set the "5 minutter" to "1 minutter" so it updates more often. A shake every minute should not kill the IP.  Is "Advansert" advanced in English?  I read it better then I speak it.  A screenshot in English would help because I am guessing on about a 1/4 of the Deutsh / German.  Sorry it's been five gen's since The black forest but,  Nocht!   

0 Likes
danwo
Adept II

If I install older AMD gpu driver I dont get this. 

Also I dont get this with 3090. I am getting tomorrow 4090 and testing.

I use 2 PC stystems. One is 13900k and another is 7950X. I only want the best of the best. I use 4 4K high refresh monitors. And I dont have time to edit to many settings or downgrade drivers etc. 

If 4090 give no "Artifacts" I will consider getting second 4090 for my 7950X pc to.

Also older AMD gpus dont give artifacts.

For me its only 6950XT. Its driver related to 6950XT. 

0 Likes
Volkdude85
Challenger

Libre office is free.  $1600 to stay loyal to MS? That you Bill?  You know you have to use smoky smoky plug to keep your warranty?  $1600 and a fire hazard,  This ain't funny Bill.

Just why?

0 Likes
Volkdude85
Challenger

You try calling the office peeps? If it is a service they should help you as a customer it is what you are paying for right?  Firing up Libre or open office and seeing if it can do what you need is free and if it does the thing then you know the problem is on MS.  MS has a much much worse rep than the GPU driver peeps on either team.  

0 Likes
danwo
Adept II

Jokes aside I need to use 365 Office for work across several platforms. And if Office works fine with older AMD gpus, and older drivers then its AMD GPU driver problem. (Specific for 6950XT) 

I am not Pro Nvidia, Intel or AMD. I just need what works and I have 2 PC systems so I can test when there is drivers, programing, hardware or other issues. 

0 Likes
Volkdude85
Challenger

Is using an older driver that big of a deal? did you try adrenaline vs non adrenaline drivers?  Apple makes a paid for office program and they strive to maintain 100% compatibility across MS framework.  They do it better than MS I would bet with as good if not better compatibility.  Libre is way compatible across lots of platforms any Linux you can think of mac x86 x64 ARM whatever.  If were married to MS bad drivers happen.  sorry it sucks but if an older driver works it works.  You aren't going to need raytracing in a spreadsheet.  also are you using display port or HDMI?  Maybe break up and isolate cabling, cable differently to monitors, use different ports break up the DisplayPort daisy chain(3 might be it's limit). just ideas 

0 Likes
danwo
Adept II

Thanks for ideas. Everything that is possible to do is tested. What works is older driver, but then some other programs dont work with older AMD drivers.

0 Likes
Volkdude85
Challenger

Why not a pro GPU? why gaming GPU vs workstation.  Workstation is more attune to what and why you are using it.  They pick up the phone faster if it doesn't work!!!(client repair big factory ) and prioritize stability over bleeding edge features,  Even a cheaper older workstation gpu is going to be much more attune.  I know the factory had to have several monitor outputs at several stations some of which are very hot. the workstations were about 3x more stable in hazardous environments and used less wattage.  Gaming gpu drivers  are really just the beta for the workstation gpu Anyway (kinda not really).  Sounds like you're buying sports cars when you need a UNIMOG. Even if you go team green Id go workstation over gaming, an A6000 will meet your needs better than a 4090.  In gaming you are a consumer, in workstation you are a client.  Big difference,  the stability and customer service reflects that any team gpu.  That's why we didn't use GeForce or  Gaming Radeon in process,, if it had the outputs it got hot!! I was working with alot of the Quadro series 15 years ago or so,, much more stable, and they picked up the phone and were on the ball.  AMD's EPYC Is HUGE I imagine they have a good pro line.
https://www.amd.com/en/products/professional-graphics/amd-radeon-pro-w6800

0 Likes
danwo
Adept II

1. Ok, so there is sometimes Artifact with 4090 in Office 365. Looks like Office 365 is a bit bugged. 
  2. I can not use more then 3 4K 144hz screens with 4090 so AMD is much better here. 
  3. Getting 7900xtx soon. 
0 Likes

Wow, didn't expect such results for 1 and 2. . .
Maybe report to Microsoft? 

0 Likes

Artifact is minimal. I am so sensitive to artifacts right now so its not a big issue. 4090 is fine in tearms of artifacts, but I see some sometimes. 

What I dont like with 4090 is that it can not handle 4 4K 144Hz screens. I have to use Igpu and 3 to GPU 4090. 

So if 7900xtx have minimal amount artifacts and can run 4 4K 144Hz screens like 6950XT, then 7900xtx sound like good deal for me. 

TracerXL
Adept I

Same

PC Specs:

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X

HyperX 32GB 3000mhz

Samsung 960 EVO 240gb NVMe PCI-E 3.0

Sabrent 1TB NVMe PCI-E 4.0 (SB-ROCKET-1TB)

XFX Radeon RX 6900 XT Speedster MERC319 RX-69XTACUD9 16GB GDDR6 256-bit PCI-E 4.0

Cooler Master V1000 1000W PSU

Dell S2721DGFA 27" WQHD (2560x1440) 165Hz 1ms IPS AMD FreeSync Premium Pro
0 Likes
rasmasyean
Adept I

Has anyone solved this?

I can confirm it happens to me as well.  Artifacts such as whiteout of OneNote textboxes, Excel sheet whiteout and tab name mixups (including menu parts), Outlook reading pane whiteout and folder name mixups.

I've also experienced HDMI sound cutout during Windows movie apps playback.  My TV is kind of old, but it never happened in all the years with my previous nVidia cards (Ditto on Office 365). 

GPU's tried:
RX 6650 XT
RX 7600
RX 6750 XT

Same problem here. It ONLY happen with W11. With W10 works perfectly. Also, if you uninstall drivers and you use the Windows default ones, it doesn't happen.

Intel I5-13600K
AMD MSI 6750XT

0 Likes

I actually found a totally weird fix to this by Waldmeister in another thread.  I tested it on different cards.

Details:

Cards affected:
RX 6650 XT, RX 7600, RX 6750 XT
Possible conflict (guess only):
Intel based chipset or CPU maybe.  Problem affected both a 10th gen and 11th gen Intel based system.  And I guess OP's is 12th gen.

Problem:
Since at least 12/2022...
Whiteout artifacts:  OneNote textblocks, Outlook reading panes, Excel sheets
Screen coordinate artifacts: Outlook folders displaying wrong name, Excel areas displaying wrong name or menu item.

Solution:
As per above post, place exe in "Games" in Adrenaline and enable Anti Lag.

0 Likes