cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

shandyvali
Adept I

AMD Global Wattman/ RX 590 freeze & crash

Okay, so I posted as comments in a few other forums saying how my PC would freeze and crash, due to the GPU shutting down; I would then have to hold down the power button to do a hard shut down and reboot. This usually happened during gameplay - more so with GPU intensive games - but it also happened during regular PC use (browsing web, YouTube, working, etc.). It also happened twice as soon as I booted up my PC for the first time that day. Perusing through forums, it seemed as the issue was Global Wattman itself being super buggy. I uninstalled and reinstalled the AMD software resulting in a driver update (which some also suggested doing) and said I would update as that seemed to fix the issue. 

It has not fixed the issue ENTIRELY. It has gotten better though. Instead of my GPU auto-shutting down, the PC jst freezes like any normal freeze, goes to a black screen (as if the monitors are on, but the PC isn't), and then comes back up. Usually, if I'm on a game, it most definitely crashes, and maybe a few other apps, but for the most part everything comes back after this freeze. I'm getting a few more fans hoping that increasing airflow in my case will also help, but I'm not 100% sure it will (I need to get them anyway though, because of how hot this GPU runs anyways).

SPECS: Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X370-F Gaming CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1400 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 G3 RAM: T-Force Vulcan 16 GB DDR4 2400 GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 590

I'm hoping further driver updates will help this issue. But if anyone has any further ideas, please send them along. 

0 Likes
10 Replies
shandyvali
Adept I

UPDATE: I installed 2 new fans and switched the PCIe slot that my GPU was in. If it is an overheating issue - which I don't think it initially was - then the fans should take care of the issue. If it was the PCIe slot - which is plausible - then the issue should be fixed. I will try a game or two tonight, and I stream tomorrow night so I will post another update Friday at the latest.

0 Likes

I don't think it's about temperature. Well, My rx580 has a similar issue, black screen. I reinstall the system and the driver version is 17.1.1. And don't upgrade the driver. I used the 18.2, 19.1.1, 19.3, they all failed. That's all. But the thing is the screen sometimes flickers, nothing else.

0 Likes

It'll have to be updated eventually, and I've had two with this issue so I'm jst giving up. RMA'd it, and going NVIDIA. Maybe with my next build I'll try again, but my patience has worn thin.

0 Likes
alex_strife
Journeyman III

Have the same problem as you. But I have no black screen (yet...). It freeze and then, after 10-15 sec the game still works. I had only this problem with Apex Legends and DayZ... 

0 Likes

Apex is so poorly optimized, it's ridiculous, so it could simply be the game. Not 100% sure with DayZ, never played it, but again, I would check game optimizations (both in the game and in AMD software).

0 Likes
anarky
Journeyman III

I have the same problem and it happens to me with all the games, the division 2, dark sould 3, sekiro, etc.

If you do not solve this already, I'll return the graphic

0 Likes
rzaevdima
Journeyman III

Мне кажется я решил проблему. Но сначала отмечу что дело тут не в блоке питания и не в железе в целом. Прочитав множество коментариев и отзывов я это понял. А все симптомы это перезагрузка компютера в обсолютно разных приложениях говорили мне о том что дело в самой видеокарте. Понимая что за эти деньги это лучшее решение менять ее не очень то и хотелось. И поиграв с настройками мне удалось избавиться от фризов и перезагрузки. Что надо сделать. версия драйвера 19,4,3

в настройках ватман выставить ВРУЧНУЮ.

1. Mhz 910-1135-1265-1325-1385-1445-1500

2.ZERO rpm - off

3.speed/c - 30c/19%-50c/35%-63C/54%-74C/74%-85C-100%

4.ограничение энергопотребления +50%

5.частота памяти 2050Mhz

Все остальное автоматически по умолчанию.

В целом то проблема и была в диком разгоне этой к\видеокарты. Успешный маркетинговый ход-красивая внешне, дерзкое название,высокие частоты. На что и обращают все внимание!) Конечно за эти деньги это хорошая видеокарта, жаль что маркетинг портит ее репутацию. Всем удачи.

0 Likes
hunur
Journeyman III

Hi,
In my situation Graphic Card is not the problem.
I build up my pc 3 months ago. And I had always randomly crashes on windows 10 pro.
Crashes occurred on large file copying on windows, editing photos in Photoshop, and all kind of games like Apex Legend, Division 2, Witcher, DayZ etc.
Games crashes are always randomly. Starting the game or 5 minutes playing or 30 min. playing it doesn’t always same. Some crashes are freezes the app and go back the windows, some crashes are blue screen and couple of them freezes all system.
Some errors that i get most;
Easy Anti-Cheat and Apex Crash Messages
amdihk64.dll, atidxx64, d3d11, ntdll, mileswin64.
Some of them "Untrusted system file" and some just "Apex crashed in ..."
And Global Wattman Settings are always changes to factory settings.
Blue screen errors were;
Stop Code: System Service Exception
What failed: SRTSP64.sys 

or
Stop Code: Kernel Security Check Failure
or
Stop Code: Page Fault in nonpaged area

My system;
Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi (ver 1.1)
AMD Ryzen5 2600X
Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 8GB Black edition
2x8 GB DDR4 - 3466 CL 19 Hyper X Fury
Corsair RM 850x power supply
Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus MVMe M.2 500GB (It's on fast slot on motherboard which is PCIe 3.0 x4 110mm.)
Toshiba HDWD110 1TB

WHAT I TRIED AND DIDN'T HELPED ME:
Re install windows dozen times. Fully updated all windows.
All bios updates dome but doesn't helped
All driver updates and install, uninstall, reinstall especially graphic card. (By the way, i changed my graphic card for hardware failure.)
Also tried Asus Nvidia GTX 1070 graphic card. But the results are same.
Different slots for M2 SSD or just use Toshiba HDD or buying new SSD. Every time I formatted and re install fresh system and drivers.
In Apex Legends game and Origin app, i tried fps caps, different video settings and doesn't helped for me.
Try to change Easy Anti Cheat priority low and done some other suggestions.
In AMD Radeon Settings, i tried every suggestions that i found on different forums. (Change fan speeds, timings, power usage etc.)
Changed Windows Power Plan from "balanced" to "ultimate"
Add additional cable from power supply to graphic card in case lack of voltages.

WHAT I TRIED AND WORKED
Keep in mind, I guess this type of voltage setups may harm your hardware please make sure your hardware specs and capacities. Or just ask someone who knows this type adjustments before change anything.
Just increase DRAM voltage from "Normal" to 1.110 V. It's 2nd value for me.
In BIOS / M.I.T. / Advanced Voltage Settings there is a DRAM Voltage (CH A/B)
DRAM Voltage Factory setting is set "Normal"
Factory setting is set Normal and you hit "+" its change 1.100V and hit "+" one more time its set 1.110V for my motherboard.
And all my problems gone immediately. I changed all bios settings factory default Just change DRAM voltage and set it 1.110 V. Restart the system and set all Graphic card settings factory settings. I changed Windows Power Plan setting to "Balanced". Also I pushed up graphic adjustments in games and there is no any crash problem.
Re format all my HDDs, re install windows and drivers. (Its not necessary, Its my obsession) I tested 3 weeks and there is no single crash.
This DRAM voltage change is worked for me. Now in windows my rams CL values are 20 Clocks Dram Frequency 1732MHz
Keep in mind, I guess this type of voltage setups may harm your hardware please make sure your hardware specs and capacities. Or just ask someone who knows this type adjustments before change anything.

My DDR4 - 3466 Hyper X Fury RAMs are in compatibility list both motherboard and AMD Ryzen processor lists.

What is the real problem I don't know but the BIOS DRAM Voltage changes worked for me. 

Hope this is helpful for someone

rzaevdima
Journeyman III

After installing Windows 10, the problem is almost gone. But the blue screen always showed a message that the problem is with the graphics card driver. But the last month there are no problems.

0 Likes
imrulhassan
Journeyman III

I am facing a similar issue, with the CPU i7 7700, Mobo Rog Strix B-250h Gaming, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8gb 3200bus. OS Windows 10. PSU Thermaltake TR2 600W 80 Plus Bronze, ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro SSD M.2 NVME PCIE 3,
everything is fine for the long term but after adding Sapphire Nitro+ RX 590 8GB GME GDDR5 cards with the Latest AMD Driver from official sites & these issues continue many times but only when playing games only....
when running ONLY games a few minutes later OS crashed BLUE Screen )SHOWS: Your device ran into a Problem & needs to restart).

0 Likes