Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphics Cards

LinuxWindows
Adept I

AMD FirePro S7100X Vbios Replacement for Non-Server Use

Dear AMD Community,

I wish this post did not have to exist. AMD has been known for having an easier time with changing out the Vbioses of their cards. My problem is that I cannot change the Vbios of a FirePro S7100X. I cannot even figure out how to replace a piece of code in another Vbios with one from this card. Some people would have stopped when they could not find a standard Vbios for this card. I did not stop. At this point, I am looking for help with extracting the memory information from the FirePro S7100X and stuffing it into a FirePro W7170M's bios. I am not looking for someone to suggest a card replacement because I really do not want to open the metal sarcophagus that the card is plugged into. I am not looking for someone to just say, "Toss the W7170M's bios on there. It will work!" I have tried that. The memory does not work with this, which cripples the card's meager performance. I am also not looking for people who say, "Just leave it. It is fine!" The reason that this is not fine is that the use case is that the card hates (with a bitter passion) the shutdown of Windows 10, use cases with non-server Linux installs (like Ubuntu), the card cannot work on DC power (yes, it is in a laptop), and the card also hates going to sleep (it treats it as a shutdown). Thank you for your help in advance.

Sincerely,

LinuxWindows

0 Likes
13 Replies
Psyssors
Adept I

did you post a similar inquiry at linus tech tips? I sent a pm to that OP with a m390x bios that I have successfully flashed to my s7100x 

0 Likes

Yes. I did post this on Linus Tech Tips. The card is currently not working with the system I am willing to lose.

0 Likes

Not sure if AMD Moderator of Professional GPU cards @fsadough  can help you with your issue or not. But I will tag him to see if it interests him or not.

0 Likes
fsadough

Please be more precise with what you are trying to do. You say:

1. My problem is that I cannot change the Vbios of a FirePro S7100X.
  2. At this point, I am looking for help with extracting the memory information from the FirePro S7100X and stuffing it into a FirePro W7170M's bios.

I am trying to understand what you want to do? 1 or 2 or both?

0 Likes

• Hi, im asking  for a  vbios for s7100x that support lvds and edp internal output  , or a compatible  bios with 8gb vram (like r9 m295x, m395x or m485x, (maybe  e8950?) ).  Is it possible to AMD to  modify it to me? 

Edit: i want to put it in a Clevo p370sm3 with 3d 120hz edp display. 

0 Likes

I had tried to do number 2 months ago, only to find out that another problem popped up. I will be retrying all of this once I do some replacement parts for the system I have to test this on.

Here is what I would like, if it can be done the easy way:

Honestly, I would just want to get a working* vbios for this card, to have it able to be used in a laptop. 

*Working being a vbios that does output images to eDP, LVDS, and the regular outputs of laptops (HDMI, Thunderbolt, VGA, DisplayPort, DVI, etc.). The vbios also MUST WORK without wall power (using batteries in a laptop).

If the part mentioned above cannot be done, then:

I would like an explanation on how to modify a vbios to function in the way mentioned above.

If this is not clear enough, message me to clarify the message.

OP: I can probably help you out. I have successfully flashed m390x, w7150m, and s7100m bios to these cards and hex edited the ram timings, vram and vcore frequencies, power limits, etc. hopefully if you respond I will be notified because I dont check this forum often. good luck!

0 Likes

I could use that sort of help, especially since every time I have tried to do them, they end up a bit broken or not working.

I've tried enabling email notifications for this forum but I'm still not getting them. Also I can't seem to find a personal message link. I'm logged in on my mobile.

You should get a ch431a black usb flasher. Get one with the alligator clip attachment and if you might use it for flashing nvidia you will also need the 1.8v adapter. You want the software that goes with it. There are a lot of different sites to download the software. You want the NeoProgrammer V2.2.0.10 version.  You can flash and hex edit with these tools. The program opens and saves files with the .bin file extension by default. You can rename files to .rom or .bin for use with different programs such as amdvbflash etc.

You'll need to correct the checksum of the modified bios if you get into hex editing. Easiest way I found is to open the .rom file with SRBPolaris and fix the checksum then save. These cards are not polaris gpus so don't try to change anything else with this program. The download for SRBPolaris can be tricky to find but with some persistence you will. Windows might say it's a virus so you might need to whitelist it to extract it. 

To prevent writing a book here I will stop now. There's more we can discuss like hex editing details but for now this should get you started. 

I haven't permanently bricked any cards using this method. That said, you can permanently damage a card by setting the values too high when overclocking or overvolting so keep that in mind when hex editing. It's better to undervolt and use software overclocks when possible.

Also worth mentioning:

The above mentioned programs run on windows

Once you have a working bios there's an amdvbflash available for linux that flashes 80x faster than on windows.

0 Likes

Okay. What do I use to get the locations for the pieces I need to transfer over? I usually use Atom Table Resize to do my vbios editing with little success.

0 Likes

Hello, could you post a link to the modded vbios after you're done, I've searched the whole internet and coulnd't find it and I don't think I'm able to do what you're doing.

0 Likes

I have uploaded a working bios and instruction on how to flash it to your s7100x on the LTTForum. It enables 6 display ports and it should display through a hdmi port if you use it in a laptop in discreet mode. It works well under Hybrid Graphics on my Hp Zbook G3 and I'm seeing 70-90 fps on call of duty modern warfare on med-high settings 1080p 92% res scaling. I have no intention on benefiting from this in any way. I'm a mechanic that plays around with electronics in his spare time. If you have a working bios thats been modified, please share it with everyone so that the s7100x doesn't end up as e-waste.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/1321743-need-help-modifying-an-amd-firepro-s7100x-to-either-r9-m395x...

0 Likes

Also worth mentioning:

The above mentioned programs run on windows

Once you have a working bios there's an amdvbflash available for linux that flashes 80x faster than on windows.

0 Likes